Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Maybe 2015 or 16 for me. To the OP, that just sucks. I went through the same thing with my 2005, only I didn't see the paint flaws for almost a year. The dealer had no problem making the repairs. Let the dealer take care of the issues. There will probably be more of them. Take it out for a good ride and forget about it for now.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
Did GM revert back to 1960's technology for these cars? I have a feeling if everyone that buys one took it to a pro to look over they would be posting up pics too. Most people just don't look that closely, as we expect factory paint to be seamless.

From what I have been seeing on a lot of the C7's on this forum they are starting to bring back bad memories and looking very familiar to the poor quality control that I had on the new 68 convert I bought in the fall of 67.

Some of the posters that do not think these glaring defects are any big deal must either have very low quality standards or are independently wealthy and think nothing of spending $60to70k for a mediocre quality car.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:14 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Maybe 2015 or 16 for me. To the OP, that just sucks. I went through the same thing with my 2005, only I didn't see the paint flaws for almost a year. The dealer had no problem making the repairs. Let the dealer take care of the issues. There will probably be more of them. Take it out for a good ride and forget about it for now.

Let us know how you make out.
Not stressed at all. I know that the dealer will take care of it.

I'm just pointing out issues on here so others can see (including GM hopefully) so that they can watch for the issues as well.

It's just a car, blast to drive and is a wonderful sports car. Just sad my 05 didn't have any issues like this.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Put away the magnifying glass and drive the car for &^%$$ sake!!
And give gm another free pass like the bailout. No they need to
made accountable for this quality of workmanship
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
I usually keep quiet on these topics. The paint doesn't bother me as much but that headlight would **** me off.

Unacceptable on any new car.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Damn that is amateur. It's easily correctable but how can these cars leave the factory like this? What a joke.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Sorry you have to deal with this OP. I hope you can get it corrected.

Bowling Green had better get on top of this stuff asap.

I bought 3 new C6s and not one of them had bad paint or panel fitment issues. This kind of stuff needs fixed at the plant - - and now.

If they don't get a handle on this, just wait until a major magazine gets a car with these issues and blows up the review of the car based on them, for all the world to see. That will be stigma very hard to undo.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Jax419
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Put away the magnifying glass and drive the car for &^%$$ sake!!
Yeah lets ignore quality when spending 60k+
Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sorry you have to deal with this OP. I hope you can get it corrected.

Bowling Green had better get on top of this stuff asap.

I bought 3 new C6s and not one of them had bad paint or panel fitment issues. This kind of stuff needs fixed at the plant - - and now.

If they don't get a handle on this, just wait until a major magazine gets a car with these issues and blows up the review of the car based on them, for all the world to see. That will be stigma very hard to undo.
Quick question if these flaws were found during a museum delivery could you refuse the car or would they in fact not deliver it?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

This is terrible bro. You've had a number of issues with the car, I'm looking forward to the dealer looking into them all further.

Regarding comments that say "I'm not buying it" or suggesting you likely removed the light and are now saying it's a GM quality issues…I'd ignore those. There are clearly issues with your car that need to be addressed.

I am counting my lucky stars that I have had none of the issues others have had.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are minor issues that need to be fixed, hopefully before they are set free at the BG stable.

But, I don't see major items, like the Ediff falling apart, or trannys smoking. Holding my breath until the beta testers have put on at least 20k miles which shouldn't be long for some test samples.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Count me among those who find these kinds of flaws to be totally unacceptable. How something like that isn't caught and corrected before leaving the factory is completely beyond my comprehension.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Quick question if these flaws were found during a museum delivery could you refuse the car or would they in fact not deliver it?
Good question. I plan to do Museum deliver and I know I won't take delivery of the car with issues like these.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Good question. I plan to do Museum deliver and I know I won't take delivery of the car with issues like these.
Same here
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

It's insulting to customers to send out cars with some of the paint flaws I have seen on this forum. GM wants a new, younger demographic for customers because the average age of Corvette customers are 60. The C7 is their chance to hook a younger customer. These potential younger customers are internet savvy and will come across this forum and these threads when they research the C7. Those younger customers will have better eyes. GM needs to get it together soon if it does not want to scare away potential new customers who have never experienced a Vette before. A friend was going to order a C7 but changed his mind and is now shopping for a competitors product because he was discouraged after hearing about some of the quality issues. I have given GM the benefit of the doubt but am getting a bit more frustrated every time I read about a new quality control incident. GM...get it together before you loose loyal customers too!

I have seen GM Customer Care on this forum. They are stepping up to help new owners resolve issues by responding to complaints. This is a excellent response on their part. I hope these reps also forward comments from potential customers who are concerned about quality control so GM can resolve these issues before they scare away new customers.

Last edited by rexracerx9; 11-10-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Looks to me like the OP removed the headlight to me just like he did with the tail light. He clearly didn't get it back in place correctly.

Can't believe this is how this came from the factory and he is just now complaining about it. Anyone who would complain and post about a tail light that squeaks only when he pushes on it would have complained about this headlight gap way earlier than this.
ABSOLUTELY! You suppose he's taken the tires off the rims yet to complain about the finish on the inside of the wheel?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

If there is flaws outside of generally accepted industry tolerances, they'll fix it. I don't have any on mine, but I've only driven mine... Haven't done any heavy petting.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Yeah Ox,

I just sit around all day making stuff up...

Just went out and took a better pic just for you!

That paint looks like it's not bonding well to the primer. Hopefully it doesn't start peeling off even more....
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
I have seen GM Customer Care on this forum. They are stepping up to help new owners resolve issues by responding to complaints. This is a excellent response on their part. I hope these reps forward forum member concerns about quality control so GM can resolve these issues before they scare away new customers.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Best of luck to the OP in getting his car repaired to a high standard.

Last edited by rexracerx9; 11-10-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling