Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Rob 99
This thread reminds me of the ones about the C6 nav deficiencies & issues , also the necessity for a seminar on how to use the C7 Nav system speaks volumes, i have two Garmins, a Nuvi and a Kenwood HU with garmin nav, both are self explanatory and set up and running within a few minutes very user friendly.
If there are to many layers of procedure on something that may not be used on a daily basis that then becomes the user hurdle,
for somthing like Nav systems better to keep it simple as possible.
Chevrolet you'v done it again
JMO on the subject.
Rob, your points about ease of use are legitimate. Remember too though that everyone learns differently and people gravitate away from change. It is light years ahead of the C6 system and no where near as difficult to use. A heavily featured OEM unit is always going to bring with it challenges. Kind of a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't for the automaker in that if they just shoved a Garmin portable in to a cubby in the dash of the car, some will complain that a XXX thousand dollar car should get a better navigation system. Then there are those that simply refuse to use the manual, information and resources that are available to them defaulting to the fact that "Their Garmin does it this way, OEM unit stinks, etc."

Somewhere in the middle are the subset of owners that welcome the changes, welcome the challenges and invest in learning the nuances of the new technology.

I tend to look at it this way. Pretty much every member knows how to drive, not every member knows how to performance drive. There are schools for specific to that in getting the most out of the performance of their vehicle. Not everyone wants it, not everyone needs it, some desperately need it but don't acknowledge it and just don't understand what all the fuss is about. With vehicles there are owners manuals that some read, most don't and many are happy with what they know about the vehicle and never get past the basics. When they try and if they can't, there are supplemental information sources such as forums.

I'm all about making the most out of the technology. For many, they don't need the additional information. Some do. I enjoy helping owners with the systems. I've spoken directly with hundreds of them and provided information to thousands between the C6 and now C7 seminars, downloads, videos and tutorials. Where I get frustrated is with people that just don't have a full handle on the system but are ready to complain about it or talk about all the things that it can't do. Just because I don't know how to do something, doesn't mean it can't be done and as such, I'd rather investigate and learn about it then simply complain about it until I get the facts. It just leads to frustration and misinformation for people that are among those that are trying to learn. That's just me.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
A heavily featured OEM unit is always going to bring with it challenges. Kind of a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't for the automaker in that if they just shoved a Garmin portable in to a cubby in the dash of the car, some will complain that a XXX thousand dollar car should get a better navigation system.
BTW, the current Chrysler nav system is a Garmin, and actually minus a few features (multiple languages, for example) plus an auxiliary display of turns right in front of the driver, very useful. I've got it in a Charger, and there was no learning curve to it at all since I own also a couple of Garmin portables. I think there's a lot to be said for transparency.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Real men don't ask for directions, they don't get lost, they acquire local knowledge...
Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

I think all that we have going on is a misunderstanding over terms, a matter of semantics if you will.

There are two different systems in play here. First is the Chevrolet MyLink Infotainment system. This is where you use Pandora, this is where you would install apps and play audio. Second is the MyLink Navigation app. You keep saying that OnStar is required to make full use of the navigation system. Navigation is a separate system installed in the MyLink infotainment system. OnStar is no more required to use MyLink navigation than Pandora. Much like Navigation is not required to use MyLink Infotainment services.

Regarding the MyLink app shop, at this point I'm not even certain that there is going to be an app shop for the MyLink. I'm more inclined to believe that access to additional features will come in the form apps for the smartphone and access granted via the MyLink software.

The data plan will come from AT&T for the 2015 and will use OnStar's connection to the outside. Even the OnStar rep that you spoke with told you that OnStar services (paid subscription/account) will not be required to use the 4G LTE WiFi Hotspot. It sounds as if it will be managed by OnStar but services will be provided by AT&T. Signing up for this will be separate from OnStar and by virtue of having the Data plan, you still would have OnStar, nor will it be required.

You keep mentioning the BringGo app. BringGo is simply another GPS program in the form of an App installed on your device. It is designed for low cost vehicles without navigation systems and users with smartphones and it allows the integration and display of the BringGo navigation app on to the display in the car. It is a self contained GPS application. It doesn't allow for bridging other services you have on your phone to the car and it doesn't get you access to other map applications that you may have on your phone and it doesn't make use of other apps you may have on your phone. It would be like purchasing Navigon or the TomTom GPS app but this one connects with certain car Infotainment systems.

This is why I keep stating that OnStar has nothing to do with the MyLink navigation app. OnStar turn by turn is not part of the navigation software. It is a service provided by OnStar as part of a subscription plan. You don't need navigation to use OnStar turn by turn and you don't need OnStar to use MyLink navigation. I will agree that with OnStar there is an additional feature of being able to import routes to the in-dash MyLink navigation system but it isn't required.
LOL... thanks for the info. Perhaps it's confusing because of the overuse of the word/term, "MyLink". Makes it all sound like the same package.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:12 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The Nav in my C7 works great, no grips. Go figure.
It always takes me on the route where the most good looking women are.
Have you hugged your Nav today.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GRG
The Nav in my C7 works great, no grips. Go figure.
It always takes me on the route where the most good looking women are.
Have you hugged your Nav today.
I've used Garmin for years, this one doesn't have any striking deficiencies in my mind. Both are not perfect, probably nothing in GPS land is. I'm an X I.T guy so maybe technology is easier for me but I really didn't find it hard to adapt to.

I do really, really like the fact that the NAV instructions appear in the HUD, that is a huge improvement over looking at a 4,5 or 7" screen that is normally out of your line of vision when looking down the road. To me that one convenience makes it worth it. Try that with an iPhone !! It is a little more difficult for my navigator ( she is ok with that term ) to set or change as we are traveling because she can't pull it off the holder and it is angled towards the driver but she has managed ok despite that.

Last edited by C7DriverOnt; 08-14-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Paul, is there a preferred avenue for submitting suggestions or commentary about specific functionality issues that are intended to be helpful, documented feedback rather than general griping about "POS" or "Not worth the option price?"

There are some user interface design choices that seem like they could be enhanced in very particular, localized ways to make both Navigation and Infotainment more usable. I don't know if the same team is responsible for both, and I don't feel like posting on this public forum just to stir the pot. If there is a way to contribute constructively, I would be happy to submit feedback.

Thanks!
--Ken
Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Paul, is there a preferred avenue for submitting suggestions or commentary about specific functionality issues that are intended to be helpful, documented feedback rather than general griping about "POS" or "Not worth the option price?"

There are some user interface design choices that seem like they could be enhanced in very particular, localized ways to make both Navigation and Infotainment more usable. I don't know if the same team is responsible for both, and I don't feel like posting on this public forum just to stir the pot. If there is a way to contribute constructively, I would be happy to submit feedback.

Thanks!
--Ken
Hi Ken,

For starters, I'm happy to help with any questions you might have if something is a matter of clarification or methodology. For suggestions you are probably best to contact MyLink customer support directly at 1-855-478-7767. They can deal with questions and pass along suggestions direct to the respective teams. There are separate teams for navigation and infotainment that can be reached by MyLink Support.

Paul
Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 PM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does everyone else's damned "infotainment" unit also take nearly 2 seconds to decide to switch to the next song when you're playing music on your phone and hooked up VIA A USB CABLE?

It's just absurdly slow to do everything. There's no reason in 2014 that everything it does should be so incredibly sluggish.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by FEEDMESLURPIES
Does everyone else's damned "infotainment" unit also take nearly 2 seconds to decide to switch to the next song when you're playing music on your phone and hooked up VIA A USB CABLE?

It's just absurdly slow to do everything. There's no reason in 2014 that everything it does should be so incredibly sluggish.
Actually, no. Song switches via iPhone Bluetooth or cable (iPod out) and via SD Card happen pretty quickly on my system. Have you had the car long? Do you add new music frequently? The car does take a longer when it is indexing the music source but that should only occur on the first connection or after music has been added to the source.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 PM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, no. Song switches via iPhone Bluetooth or cable (iPod out) and via SD Card happen pretty quickly on my system. Have you had the car long? Do you add new music frequently? The car does take a longer when it is indexing the music source but that should only occur on the first connection or after music has been added to the source.
I've had the car roughly a month. I haven't used the SD card at all, I only use music stored on my iPhone 5 and plugged in via USB.

EVERYTHING feels slow on this thing. As simple as turning the **** and watching it cycle through the 8 main icons isn't even as smooth and crisp as it should be, let alone loading. It's not forever, but even a second feels like forever to an IT guy who knows how things SHOULD perform when done right.

I think I'll compare to other local C7s and see if what I have is par for the course or in need of some maintenance. I doubt that anyone else's is much better, though.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Rob, your points about ease of use are legitimate. Remember too though that everyone learns differently and people gravitate away from change. It is light years ahead of the C6 system and no where near as difficult to use. A heavily featured OEM unit is always going to bring with it challenges. Kind of a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't for the automaker in that if they just shoved a Garmin portable in to a cubby in the dash of the car, some will complain that a XXX thousand dollar car should get a better navigation system. Then there are those that simply refuse to use the manual, information and resources that are available to them defaulting to the fact that "Their Garmin does it this way, OEM unit stinks, etc."

Somewhere in the middle are the subset of owners that welcome the changes, welcome the challenges and invest in learning the nuances of the new technology.

I tend to look at it this way. Pretty much every member knows how to drive, not every member knows how to performance drive. There are schools for specific to that in getting the most out of the performance of their vehicle. Not everyone wants it, not everyone needs it, some desperately need it but don't acknowledge it and just don't understand what all the fuss is about. With vehicles there are owners manuals that some read, most don't and many are happy with what they know about the vehicle and never get past the basics. When they try and if they can't, there are supplemental information sources such as forums.

I'm all about making the most out of the technology. For many, they don't need the additional information. Some do. I enjoy helping owners with the systems. I've spoken directly with hundreds of them and provided information to thousands between the C6 and now C7 seminars, downloads, videos and tutorials. Where I get frustrated is with people that just don't have a full handle on the system but are ready to complain about it or talk about all the things that it can't do. Just because I don't know how to do something, doesn't mean it can't be done and as such, I'd rather investigate and learn about it then simply complain about it until I get the facts. It just leads to frustration and misinformation for people that are among those that are trying to learn. That's just me.
Paul, points well taken, my fustration is that other auto manufacturers have nav systems (like my 2013 Honda Accord) and it's a easy user friendly sytem, i just want the Vette to be the best it can be, and kudos to you for doing the seminar my earlier post was in no way criticizing you.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by FEEDMESLURPIES
I've had the car roughly a month. I haven't used the SD card at all, I only use music stored on my iPhone 5 and plugged in via USB.

EVERYTHING feels slow on this thing. As simple as turning the **** and watching it cycle through the 8 main icons isn't even as smooth and crisp as it should be, let alone loading. It's not forever, but even a second feels like forever to an IT guy who knows how things SHOULD perform when done right.

I think I'll compare to other local C7s and see if what I have is par for the course or in need of some maintenance. I doubt that anyone else's is much better, though.
There is no question that the cycle time between app changes and some menu screens is slower than I would like it to be at times. I find however that this behavior isn't consistent. What I mean is that at times, the menu changes are interminably slow and I get ahead of the screen with button presses but other times it behaves as I would expect. Not sure what background systems are causing the delay.

I don't generally see this in music (as I said, other than when I've added music and my device (phone or SD Card) is re-indexing the list. The system takes a "snapshot" of the media (phone or USB or SD Card) so that you have immediate access to play a song. It will look at the media each time you connect it for additions/subtractions but will make the other music available for play right away. This prevents the terribly long pause in early generations of the this system which wouldn't let you access and play a song until it was finished.

Curious to see what your results are as you compare to other cars in your area. Of course the last piece of the puzzle is going to come down to individual "tolerance" for such things in as much as one persons eternity is another's "wow, that was fast", LOL.

Last edited by talon90; 08-15-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Rob 99
Paul, points well taken, my fustration is that other auto manufacturers have nav systems (like my 2013 Honda Accord) and it's a easy user friendly sytem, i just want the Vette to be the best it can be, and kudos to you for doing the seminar my earlier post was in no way criticizing you.
Rob, I didn't take it that way at all. My thoughts are always shaped in total by the different interactions that I have with people about these systems. I encounter a lot of "cockpit error" from folks that are resistant to change, technology limited or looking for Garmin, LOL. I find that these folks are generally quick to blame the system. That's not to say that there aren't issues and the system certainly could be more user friendly. While it isn't nearly as intimidating as the previous generation Corvette system, it isn't as smooth as other implementations from other manufacturers. I would wager however that if someone were to honestly compare features and capabilities that this system has a lot of boxes checked, if you will. Technology marches on.

As a glass half full person, I find it most satisfying to find (and help others find) what it can do and find alternative solutions for what it can't do.

Will you be coming to my seminar at the NCM the end of the month?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

It is a little slow at times switching applications but then again I have some cable boxes that can be awfully slow as well. If your used to high end products such as an iPhone, laptop I can see where some folks might get frustrated. However I see this as a different type of device, it isn't supposed to encourage a whole lot of fiddling while you drive, in fact we have some severe penalties where I live for doing that. You set it up standing still and go, it probably isn't a great idea to be looking at iPhones or other devices and playing with them constantly while you are driving. If you have a playlist and it is taking too much time to switch between songs or load the next song then that seems a problem, maybe tied to your individual set up.

I use the USB , carry about 37 gb's of music on a 64gb and it works fine. Once it initialized and indexed the drive there has been no issues with it searching music out, by album, by genre. The NAV does it's thing while that is happening. So it does what it is designed to do at least for me, no complaints. All though I don't think too highly of Bose's Audiopilot, it seems to have a mind of it's own and doesn't react the way it should to ambient noise or the lack of and I understand a common complaint in a lot of various vehicles that carry it. The speed related volume control in my Acadia works far better. Minor detail in the big picture.

Last edited by C7DriverOnt; 08-15-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Channeling Paul ... Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof
Channeling Paul ... Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
Or sometimes . . . both.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Old 08-15-2014, 02:38 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

For starters, I'm happy to help with any questions you might have if something is a matter of clarification or methodology.
Thanks for that, Paul. I'll try a few specifics on you to see if I am missing something I should be doing differently or more efficiently:

1) The nav system always wants to route me through a neighborhood near my house with a lot of speed bumps. Is there any way to tell it to permanently avoid a street or neighborhood for all future routings?

2) Is there a way to force a temporary detour or alternate routing around a piece of your currently calculated route you want to avoid?

My other items are enhancement suggestions rather than requests for clarification. I'll use the contact you supplied.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:41 PM
bothred
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the C7 nav still DVD based?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:55 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bothred
Is the C7 nav still DVD based?
No, it's "in memory" and updates apparently will be available through USB memory stick upload.

Quick Reply: C7 Navigation System: $795 POS