Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices falling fast on new C7's

Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 AM
craigcurry
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by No Shot
While everyone is debating the financial intelligence of buying now vs. later, I'm driving my new C7 and getting more attention and smiles than if I robbed a Brinks truck! Cars are not an investment. I'm loving the hell out of it and glad I did it!! Just sayin...
Well said, me too!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

People try and treat cars like it's some hi value investment - yes, you should do your due diligence when you buy it, but IT'S A HOBBY...and hobbies cost a lot of money. I have friends that think nothing of dropping 500k in a boat or buying a new driver for 600.....If you want a vette, realize that on some level it's lost money but pays you back in fun big time. Geez, don't overthink this...life is entirely too short....
Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
People try and treat cars like it's some hi value investment - yes, you should do your due diligence when you buy it, but IT'S A HOBBY...and hobbies cost a lot of money. I have friends that think nothing of dropping 500k in a boat or buying a new driver for 600.....If you want a vette, realize that on some level it's lost money but pays you back in fun big time. Geez, don't overthink this...life is entirely too short....
Agreed. If you have to worry about what it will be worth in a monetary sense over a particular time horizon, you probably shouldn't purchase it. On the other hand, some people have fun buying toys then trying to flip them for a return. To each their own.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

^ It's good to have friends with $500k boats - they take you boating, and you save the $500k and the near daily b.o.a.t. ownership tariff . . . .

(b.o.a.t. - break out another thousand)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Blah, blah, blah, blah...blah.
You have absolutely no data or facts to back up ridiculous assertions and claims.
You can't quantify "demand". Nor can you document that "C7 pricing is dropping significantly faster than the C5 and C6 prices in the first 3-4 months" other than some baseless claims and anecdotal examples.
And your "handle anything they run into on the street" comment makes you look like a punk kid hanging around parking lots looking for late-night street races. Go put a number on one of your cars then come back and talk sh*t, until then, Chris, you're nothing but a former-tuner with an axe to grind with the C7.
S.
I've personally owned 11 vettes in the past 16 years all of them were C5's and C6's. Right from the beginning in 97' through 04' (5 of them) and 05'-12' (6 of them), so I know quite well what the prices were doing from the beginning right through the end of each cycle. The simple fact is neither generation were selling for $2k+ off sticker within the first 6 months including base non-Z51 cars, but if you are upset at the facts that is a personal problem which you have to deal with.

As far as putting your number on something and driving on a track you can be sure I've gone faster around one a thousand times by the time I was 25 than you ever will in your life, but then again I don't measure my manhood by lap times or drag strip runs like you do. I still tune too BTW, but just for myself or friends since my business is doing well and I have scarce extra time to do anything. I don't go around looking for races, but if people come looking to get some then I give it to them

Hopefully GM will come through with a wide-body version with real hp to boot so I can make it 12 vettes in a year or two

In the meantime keep hating
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
I've personally owned 11 vettes in the past 16 years all of them were C5's and C6's. Right from the beginning in 97' through 04' (5 of them) and 05'-12' (6 of them), so I know quite well what the prices were doing from the beginning right through the end of each cycle. The simple fact is neither generation were selling for $2k+ off sticker within the first 6 months including base non-Z51 cars, but if you are upset at the facts that is a personal problem which you have to deal with.
I'm not upset, I'm laughing at you and how pathetic it is that you have been trying to stir the pot in this section for the last year, even to the extent of fabricating facts.
As far as putting your number on something and driving on a track you can be sure I've gone faster around one a thousand times by the time I was 25 than you ever will in your life, but then again I don't measure my manhood by lap times or drag strip runs like you do. I still tune too BTW, but just for myself or friends since my business is doing well and I have scarce extra time to do anything. I don't go around looking for races, but if people come looking to get some then I give it to them
"Putting your number on something"? What are you talking about? I'm talking about you always spewing how badass your cammed, bolt-on turd Grand Sport is yet I doubt you've ever ran the car. From your comment, you fancy yourself some sort of badass street racer. LMFAO at "both are modded enough to handle most anything they run into on the street" and "running into the C7's on the road and laying the pipe to them".
S.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

In the meantime keep hating
Holy pot calling the kettle black!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

In the meantime I'll keep hating
Fixed, no?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

if they keep making 140 a day the price will drop.34 unsold on ebay right now.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Let's not start blaming the economy or who's president. Doesn't seem to be slowing Porsche sales - in fact they posted a 21% increase in 2012 for their best year ever

"Record global and U.S. sales fueled by Cayenne, 911 models"

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=756

And 2013 is beating those numbers so far on pace for another record year.

That vocal "minority" that did not like aspects of the new design was not as small as some thought. Maybe the "controversial" rear end got so much negative attention was because it was a legit issue with the actual buying pool.

The 911 and Cayman gracefully evolved and did not try to cater to a younger buyer - they catered to Porsche buyers. Go try to find thread after thread of people hating either of those new models on a Porsche forum. They didn't cram a Japanese GTR/Transformers "motif" into their cars. They stayed the course - boring - maybe? Over designed by committee - definitely not.

A lot of the cheerleaders that where "definitely" buying a C7 back in February are either without one or strangely absent from the boards these day.

Last edited by Hirohawa; 11-23-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by v26278
Fixed, no?

Old 11-23-2013, 03:20 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
if they keep making 140 a day the price will drop.34 unsold on ebay right now.

140 a day! No wonder the Quality Control is out the window!
Then the spray can paint jobs there doing AND shipping!

I thought they must of laid off the C-6 workers! Then hired new ones using the Walmart rejection list!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-23-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never pay a penny more then invoice for a C7.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Let's not start blaming the economy or who's president. Doesn't seem to be slowing Porsche sales - in fact they posted a 21% increase in 2012 for their best year ever

"Record global and U.S. sales fueled by Cayenne, 911 models"

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=756

And 2013 is beating those numbers so far on pace for another record year.

That vocal "minority" that did not like aspects of the new design was not as small as some thought. Maybe the "controversial" rear end got so much negative attention was because it was a legit issue with the actual buying pool.

The 911 and Cayman gracefully evolved and did not try to cater to a younger buyer - they catered to Porsche buyers. Go try to find thread after thread of people hating either of those new models on a Porsche forum. They didn't cram a Japanese GTR/Transformers "motif" into their cars. They stayed the course - boring - maybe? Over designed by committee - definitely not.

A lot of the cheerleaders that where "definitely" buying a C7 back in February are either without one or strangely absent from the boards these day.
What the heck are you talking about?

Are you suggesting the C7 sales are poor? On what basis? Are you suggesting the 911 will sell more cars than the C7?

Let's see... over VIN 6,000 in only a couple of months real production and leading into winter when sales will sag for a 2 seat sports car. Early production contraints and supply clearly not being up to demand across North America. Yet somehow you seem to have concluded there is an issue? Maybe I'm misinterpreted.

If there is a sales issue (which there isn't today) it's because the Corvette still has an image problem to overcome even with the new styling. There is still an "old man's car" perception... I get it all of the time when I tell people I have a Corvette coming. The C7 is starting to reverse that a bit but there is a lot of work to do and that will only improve as the cars get on the road for people to see. Until then, GM will continue to battle a perception issue. Had they not made a change, the perception would have been perpetuated and the Corvette would have become a dinosaur IMO. But, regardless of how good the C7 is, changing this isn't as simple as flipping a switch.

The logic around this place leaves a lot of be desired

P.S. The only real negative feedback on the car are from a few folks here. There may have been one article where an outside reviewer had anything but glowing words. The "controversy" is only a controversy to a few here but that debate is old news now anyway.

P.P.S. Who are these people who talked about ordering and then disappeared? I'm thinking that anyone who disappeared was solely because of how painful it has been over time to spend time here thanks for a few folks.

P.P.P.S. There are LOTS of folks who wouldn't buy a 911 because of bland styling that has never really changed. I personally like the Porsche styling but many do not. Your comparison to Porsche isn't really relevant because lots of people buy Porsche for the status if no other reason... that will prop their sales and has little to do with styling.

Last edited by gthal; 11-23-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I really do not care about the economy, the C7 style, who can afford it, who is out of work, what the Economy is at this point. I just get in my C7 and enjoy the heck out of it. Sweet.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I really do not care about the economy, the C7 style, who can afford it, who is out of work, what the Economy is at this point. I just get in my C7 and enjoy the heck out of it. Sweet.
Really good to hear your enjoying your beautiful c7 Bill!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 AM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601

Get notified of new replies

To Prices falling fast on new C7's

Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the new C7 and I hope it can turn this around

Old 11-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

not totally fair...every sports car veh chart looked like that after Lehman Bros in 2008-9...

BTW, rent MARGIN CALL - GREAT MOVIE
Old 11-23-2013, 10:51 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

not totally fair...every sports car veh chart looked like that after Lehman Bros in 2008-9...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prices falling fast on new C7's