Sponsored by:

At what net worth or what income level to consider a 70k vette

Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
That's a bargain......Less than a pack of cigarettes everyday. I always get $h!t from some of of my coworkers that it must me nice to have money when they see my Vette (as they are sucking on a cigarette)

^
They don't know that you provide Fresh Red Lake Walleye to your dealer, in lieu of a car payment, every other month
Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 PM
U.S.A.HP
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C7 is a beauty and what you feel comfortable spending is up to you. It definitely isn't a "The Single Best Investment" but if you can pay your Vette's monthly payment from divs than you are in a decent place IMHO. Best of luck.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^
They don't know that you provide Fresh Red Lake Walleye to your dealer, in lieu of a car payment, every other month

drivestwin is starting to depress me with all his figures. I'm thinking maybe I should sell mine....
Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I am of the opinion that threads like these are generally started by people who desperately want a Corvette and know in their hearts they can't afford it, but are looking for some sort of approval or voice saying "Yeah, you only live once...Do it!"

What ever happened to the old practice of sitting down with a yellow legal pad, adding up your current monthly bills...including provision for retiring someday...subtracting that from your net monthly income and making a determination, keeping in mind things like roof leaks, frozen exploding water pipes, braces, etc. On top of that, most experts would tell you that you should have at least 3-4 months of monthly income in a liquid account, readily accessible in a "rainy day" fund for illness, temporary disability, etc.

Seriously...grow up!
hold on buddy. I can afford 10 years of not working so I believe I can afford this car. I just have always been tight because I was raised that way. My kids are gone and married and I deciding to reward me and my wife with some nice rides.(she is getting my srt8 challenger when my vette is delivered) . But then again I am only 49 and with the way the dollar is going to the toilet I was wondering for retirement reason if it is a good idea or not t o throw 77k at a car that only carries two people.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:56 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

If you can move two kilos, or 3 if you were fronted the kilos, in a 24 hour period in Alaska without getting caught you can afford a C7

I'm Rex, founder of the Rex Kwan Do self-defense system! After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the STRENGTH of a grizzly, the reflexes of a PUMA, and the wisdom of a man.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

A friend of mine ordered a fully optioned C7 for $82k in Canada (including taxes) and his annual base salary is $67k lol. He owns a condo which he rents out, and lives with his parents for free.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

drivestwin is starting to depress me with all his figures. I'm thinking maybe I should sell mine....

^ Don't do it !!!! You'll be depressed, turn to excessive drinking, take up smoking and you'll end up spending twice as much per day as do on your Corvette.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gofobroke
You simply cannot reconciliate buying a two seat 70 k sports car as a financially responsible decision. It is an emotional decision and therefore requires intangible justifications like " you only live once...get your vette while you can!!!"
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
If you can move two kilos, or 3 if you were fronted the kilos, in a 24 hour period in Alaska without getting caught you can afford a C7

I'm Rex, founder of the Rex Kwan Do self-defense system! After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the STRENGTH of a grizzly, the reflexes of a PUMA, and the wisdom of a man.

^ I took that Rex Kwan Do class twice - could never get the hang of it. I ended up with the ODOR of a Grizzly, the FINGERNAILS of a Puma and the WISDOM of the KARDASHIAN SISTERS.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ I took that Rex Kwan Do class twice - could never get the hang of it. I ended up with the ODOR of a Grizzly, the FINGERNAILS of a Puma and the WISDOM of the KARDASHIAN SISTERS.

So you're a stinky, unkempt, rich *****.....you to can afford a C7. Lol
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Navy Vet
take your income
divide by the number of kids you have living at home, or in college.
if the final number changes from the original number, step down the showroom and look at the Equinox.

My Income divided by zero (does not compute, but as denominator approaches 0, result approaches infinity). So, the final number is different from the original number so maybe I should buy several C7s.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
So you're a stinky, unkempt, rich *****.....you to can afford a C7. Lol

HEY - it's not nice to call me Rich !!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
Personally i always look at these type of things on a cost to net worth basis--nothing to do with income. how much are you worth, after all liabilities are deducted. then, i set a totally arbitrary ratio, say, 10% of my net worth as a threshold for the cost of the item. in such a case, if i had 700,000 in the bank, net, i would think that 70K for the vette would be reasonable. alternatively, an excellent rule of thumb is this: if you have to ask, you cant afford it! (of course, the best rule is:what does the wifey-poo say?)
The problem here is younger buyers have a much different net than older or at least they should.

I think income is a good rule, as others have said it has more to do with your individual situation than anything. If you have a big family your situation is much different than if your single living in a Condo or something.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
hold on buddy. I can afford 10 years of not working so I believe I can afford this car. I just have always been tight because I was raised that way. My kids are gone and married and I deciding to reward me and my wife with some nice rides.(she is getting my srt8 challenger when my vette is delivered) . But then again I am only 49 and with the way the dollar is going to the toilet I was wondering for retirement reason if it is a good idea or not t o throw 77k at a car that only carries two people.
I didn't mean to offend. It's just that these decisions are highly personal and each case is different. There are so many variables, it's impossible to give any meaningful advice in a forum like this.

Moreover, if you're seeking sound financial counseling on a Corvette forum, you're already screwed.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Achmed
A friend of mine ordered a fully optioned C7 for $82k in Canada (including taxes) and his annual base salary is $67k lol. He owns a condo which he rents out, and lives with his parents for free.
That IMO is ridiculously irresponsible, I blame the parents more than your friend.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we all know this depends on responsibilities and priorities…. this is also the reason the mean age of a Vette owner is North of 50…. It's a very expensive toy.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

That's a bargain......Less than a pack of cigarettes everyday. I always get $h!t from some of of my coworkers that it must me nice to have money when they see my Vette (as they are sucking on a cigarette)
Well said it drives me nuts, almost every time I go in a Gas station someone in line is buying $30 worth of Scratch Off tickets and a pack of Cigarettes, they almost always drive off in a beater and are dressed like a bum. Use that money to clean yourself up for crying out loud.

Get notified of new replies

To At what net worth or what income level to consider a 70k vette

Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I didn't mean to offend. It's just that these decisions are highly personal and each case is different. There are so many variables, it's impossible to give any meaningful advice in a forum like this.

Moreover, if you're seeking sound financial counseling on a Corvette forum, you're already screwed.
Ok lol. I guess I just thought it would be interesting or what motivates people(me) to drop a bunch of money on a depreciable asset. I finally just said like Buger did to Tom Cruise in "Risky Business"..."sometimes you just got to say what the f..." and go for it.

I really don't thing a dirty diaper could be that bad anyway right?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Ok lol. I guess I just thought it would be interesting or what motivates people(me) to drop a bunch of money on a depreciable asset. I finally just said like Buger did to Tom Cruise in "Risky Business"..."sometimes you just got to say what the f..." and go for it.

I really don't thing a dirty diaper could be that bad anyway right?
It's incredible fun and satisfying to drive cars like this. People who buy them "should" be able to do so without sacrificing any degree of financial security... if they can, then it is all about the emotion and fun. Some choose to do it even if it is a financial sacrifice based on the "you only live once" principle. Either way, there is zero logic and 100% emotion IMO.

I have made many financially poor and emotionally rich car decisions in my life. The C7 isn't one of them but I would probably choose to buy one even if it was
Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drivestwin
We own things for a while(10 years) so I looked at the value of a 2004. It is worth about 50% of what it cost new.
I think you might be a little bit optimistic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At what net worth or what income level to consider a 70k vette