Sponsored by:

C7 or 981

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:05 AM
rxdo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 or 981

Long time lurker, first time poster, potential first time vette owner. Father has had several generation vettes C2/C5/C6, but to be honest over than the C4 GS nothing really interested me until the new C7. I have always been a porsche fan, particularly of the cayman. With the new (981) cayman S they may have hit automotive perfection. Looking for anyone who has owned driven both, im yet to drive a C7, and would like some insight on which they prefer.
Cheers
Old 11-24-2013, 08:03 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by rxdo
Long time lurker, first time poster, potential first time vette owner. Father has had several generation vettes C2/C5/C6, but to be honest over than the C4 GS nothing really interested me until the new C7. I have always been a porsche fan, particularly of the cayman. With the new (981) cayman S they may have hit automotive perfection. Looking for anyone who has owned driven both, im yet to drive a C7, and would like some insight on which they prefer.
Cheers
Performance value for dollar its pretty obvious the C7 beats the Cayman. Fit and finish on the Porshce is probably better as it is hit and miss for the Corvette. If Porsche ever gets wise and puts some real power into the Cayman it could get interesting.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 AM
avalonandl
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Go to a dealer and drive the C7. Your either going to love it or decide the Porsche is the way to go. Cheers
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Having drive neither, I picked the C7 on looks alone.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll never know for yourself unless and until you drive both.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

C7 hands down a better looking and value for $$
Old 11-24-2013, 09:58 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider. SERVICE. How is the Chevrolet
dealer, are they heavy in truck sales, trained Corvette tech ???
When the C7 breaks, how far will you have to tow it for a
trained mechanic.

Also what's the feedback on the Porsche dealer.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Drive both, hopefully they let you do so for longer than a few miles. They are totally different driving experiences, the C7 will be faster if that is what your after, to most the 981 is more fun if that is what you are after. Do you track or will it be a road only car? Vette has the low end Torque that many like, but you do have to respect, 981 you have to rev more. Both GREAT cars.

To give you my final answer and this is just me, if your getting an Automatic to me it is 981 S hands down (The PDK IS THAT GOOD), if your getting a Manual I would get the Vette.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I've yet to see a '14, Cayman S that stickered for less than 80 grand. That is just plain stupid pricing. Why not save yourself 20 grand and the C7. The C7 looks far better and runs the table on the Cayman.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by drmustang
I've yet to see a '14, Cayman S that stickered for less than 80 grand. That is just plain stupid pricing. Why not save yourself 20 grand and the C7. The C7 looks far better and runs the table on the Cayman.
Interesting take on pricing. While I agree that the Porsche will be more expensive, it's not as far apart as one might think.

I just configured a Convertible as close to my Boxster as I could. My Boxster cost me $81K, the C7 vert came out at $74K, a difference of only $7K So folks wont save themselves $20K.
It's this kind of false info that does a disservice to the forum community.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 11-24-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 11-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

Old 11-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

It sounds like a test drive might help you decide. It might be very hard to get one in a C-7. I took the reviewers comments and trusted the crowd. I was not disappointed nor let down.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

My final decision came down to a Cayman S (with PDK) and the C7. My wife loved the Porsche and wanted me to get it, but when she saw the Stingray for the first time, she saw how much sexier the Corvette was.

This car looks, drives and performed just as well as the Cayman S-hands down. The interior is just as nice as the Cayman S, if not better. I think the looks of the Stingray are MUCH better than the S. Saving nearly $16,000 with the Corvette plus the maintenance savings sold me on the C7. As a matter of fact, I would put the Corvette's interior against any European/Italian exotic on the road.....Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Maserati or Lamborghini.

I built a Cayman S online. Without putting anything I wanted on the car, my build came to $87,000. A full loaded C7 Stingray built online came to $71,000. The math is easy-the sex appeal was even easier.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Tony C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Porsche…but I would never think of a Boxster over a C7. Not in this world. Not even a regular Carrera for that matter.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
My final decision came down to a Cayman S (with PDK) and the C7. My wife loved the Porsche and wanted me to get it, but when she saw the Stingray for the first time, she saw how much sexier the Corvette was.

This car looks, drives and performed just as well as the Cayman S-hands down. The interior is just as nice as the Cayman S, if not better. I think the looks of the Stingray are MUCH better than the S. Saving nearly $16,000 with the Corvette plus the maintenance savings sold me on the C7. As a matter of fact, I would put the Corvette's interior against any European/Italian exotic on the road.....Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Maserati or Lamborghini.

I built a Cayman S online. Without putting anything I wanted on the car, my build came to $87,000. A full loaded C7 Stingray built online came to $71,000. The math is easy-the sex appeal was even easier.
Great review from somebody who has seen and driven both.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony C7
I like Porsche…but I would never think of a Boxster over a C7. Not in this world. Not even a regular Carrera for that matter.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Performance value for dollar its pretty obvious the C7 beats the Cayman. Fit and finish on the Porshce is probably better as it is hit and miss for the Corvette. If Porsche ever gets wise and puts some real power into the Cayman it could get interesting.
While the fit and finish on the Porsche is more predictable, they still have other issues. Both cars are built exceptionally well, but if I had to put my money on predictability (as far as build quality goes) I would say the Porsche has it.

However, they won't make the Cayman faster than the 911. I worked at a Porsche shop for a few years., The owner and his friend spent a lot of time taking the Porsches to the track. They found that the Cayman AND Boxster were both better track cars in all manners over the 911. This seems to be the norm when talking to people who actually track their Porsches. The 911 is the Porsche icon of performance, and Porsche isn't about to tell their customer base that buys the most expensive model of their line up that all this time they've owned the model that has been kept on a pedestal due to stubborness. They purposely keep the power down in the Cayman because of this.

Currently, the Cayman S (top model) has a maximum of 325HP. The base 911 comes with 350HP. Yet, both come with the same 3.4L engine. Go figure.

One of the major reasons I love the Corvette so much is that they're not stuck in their ways. They make changes, BIG changes, when the design should change. Corvette is a car that has been designed more around function than image. While the C7 is still quite beautiful (which even the Cayman is a gorgeous car), the C7 was born in a wind tunnel and built for a purpose. The creature comforts and amazing interior happened later. That's the reason the magazines have clamoured over the C7. That's the reason why the C7 is put up against Porsche's top model rather than against a similarly priced model.

The C7 isn't perfect for that reason too. But if you're looking for the car that turns heads... If you're looking for that car that simply won't let you down on the track... It's the C7 by far.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 or 981

Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
While the fit and finish on the Porsche is more predictable, they still have other issues. Both cars are built exceptionally well, but if I had to put my money on predictability (as far as build quality goes) I would say the Porsche has it.

However, they won't make the Cayman faster than the 911. I worked at a Porsche shop for a few years., The owner and his friend spent a lot of time taking the Porsches to the track. They found that the Cayman AND Boxster were both better track cars in all manners over the 911. This seems to be the norm when talking to people who actually track their Porsches. The 911 is the Porsche icon of performance, and Porsche isn't about to tell their customer base that buys the most expensive model of their line up that all this time they've owned the model that has been kept on a pedestal due to stubborness. They purposely keep the power down in the Cayman because of this.

Currently, the Cayman S (top model) has a maximum of 325HP. The base 911 comes with 350HP. Yet, both come with the same 3.4L engine. Go figure.

One of the major reasons I love the Corvette so much is that they're not stuck in their ways. They make changes, BIG changes, when the design should change. Corvette is a car that has been designed more around function than image. While the C7 is still quite beautiful (which even the Cayman is a gorgeous car), the C7 was born in a wind tunnel and built for a purpose. The creature comforts and amazing interior happened later. That's the reason the magazines have clamoured over the C7. That's the reason why the C7 is put up against Porsche's top model rather than against a similarly priced model.

The C7 isn't perfect for that reason too. But if you're looking for the car that turns heads... If you're looking for that car that simply won't let you down on the track... It's the C7 by far.
Good points. But I have to think the bosses in Germany are going to have to pull something out of the hat pretty soon. No doubt they will lose some 911 sales to C7 but they will also lose Boxster and Cayman sales to C7 as well because the C7 price is a lot lower. I can't see them standing still on this. They could easily give the 911 more power and up the power for the lower cars as well. I don't think they will concede sales that easily without a fight.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Seriously, are these Porsche threads for real?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by themonk
Seriously, are these Porsche threads for real?
Well, since GM specifically stated that the 911 was directly in the crosshairs, yeah, I think they are for real. For a good reason. Think about it, GM designed the C7 to be better than the 911 at a whole lot less money, what's not to like about a Porsche thread comparing the C7 to Porsche's?

Quick Reply: C7 or 981