Sponsored by:

Hill hold assist revisited

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Default Hill hold assist revisited

As manual transmission owners know, hill hold is a standard feature. As the miles accumulate has any one noticed any change in the systems performance? What my car seems to be doing is; the hold feature is not being applied as frequently. Another thing, occasionally on a moderately steep hill the system doesn't seem to want to release gracefully (needs considerably more power and you notice an abrupt release). Wondering, anyone else have similar experience?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I noticed the steep hill issue on my car now at 1500 miles and when it only had a few miles, I hardly ever notice it working I don't think it is related to miles.

My 13 honda accord cp had hill assist it worked going backwards and frontwards it released way better and smoother than this system.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:28 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

It's all in the driving style.

If you're a driver that gives no throttle and just eases out the clutch, you will notice it almost every time.

If you're like me and blip the throttle before taking off then you will almost never notice it.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

I noticed it works sometimes, but when I really want it to work at a stop light when some knucklehead behind me pulls up too close, I'll feel a momentary roll-back and worry that I won't be quick enough to get moving forward. I've noticed it works well with the nose low (downhill) almost every time and unless it's a steep uphill (nose up) it rarely works, like I say, when I need it the most. Car has 2700 miles.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:20 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Because my driveway is so steep, I use the HSA every time I drive the car. After 8750 miles, mine works the same as it always has.

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
I noticed it works sometimes, but when I really want it to work at a stop light when some knucklehead behind me pulls up too close, I'll feel a momentary roll-back and worry that I won't be quick enough to get moving forward. I've noticed it works well with the nose low (downhill) almost every time and unless it's a steep uphill (nose up) it rarely works, like I say, when I need it the most. Car has 2700 miles.
You just need to tap the brake to get it to engage if you start to roll back.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:16 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I have almost stalled the car on two seperate occasion's.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
You just need to tap the brake to get it to engage if you start to roll back.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It sure would have been nice if the owners manual "Hill Start Assist" paragraph was a little more detailed on the use/application of this feature.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Stephen Nelson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill assist

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It sure would have been nice if the owners manual "Hill Start Assist" paragraph was a little more detailed on the use/application of this feature.
The primary risk of having to let up the brake and then depress it again is when you are parked heading downhill and it is very steep.
Typically, in these situations you may only have inches to spare in front of the car. Any forward roll could easily result in damage.
In most other situations on a steep hill, you can probably tolerate a small amount of movement. I know there are many that feel they don't need any help but my question to that is, are you successful 100% of the time (I doubt it). Because being successful 99.9% of the time is not good enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Hill hold assist revisited

Quick Reply: Hill hold assist revisited