Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
irpete
CF Member
 
irpete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Ashburn VA
Default eLSD Problem?

1 day short of having my C7 Z51 for a month a problem has developed. This afternoon I got the dreaded "Service Rear Axle" message in the display. Having read other posts I know that in some cases this could be a minor issue so I continued driving towards my home less than 10 miles away.

As I continued the rear end noise started getting louder and making a "thumping" sound as if I had a flat tire. I checked the tires and they were still good with the proper tire pressure as well. I continued on and decided to switch it from Sport mode to Touring mode to tone down the exhaust sound a little so I could better listen to the sounds coming from the rear end. When I switched it to touring mode there was a pretty pronounced "Clank' sound. When pulling into my garage I got out of the car and immediately there was a strong smell of burnt rubber. A visual inspection under the rear didn't show any signs of wear or leaking fluids.

I called my local dealer and they told me to have it towed to them first thing Monday morning. I have read other post where the Z51 eLSD has been having a few issues. I made sure my dealer checked the fluid in the rear diff when I picked it up last month so I don't think its related to that issue. I only have just over 750 miles on it. VIN# 4629
irpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
KenHorse
Obama is a dangerous Putz
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
KenHorse's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui..... The Obama Regime is The Most Dishonest, Corrupt And Criminal In US HistoryŠ
Default

Did you ever have the differential lubricant level checked before this?
KenHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
irpete
CF Member
 
irpete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Ashburn VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Did you ever have the differential lubricant level checked before this?
Yes. When I took delivery on 11/1 from one of the major forum dealers I asked several times and was told that they were aware of the bulletin and they check all their cars as part of the PDI. I also haven't noticed a single drop of any fluids on the garage floor under my Vette.

From reading posts from users with similar symptoms it almost seems the eLSD controller was flaking out causing the wheels on each side to become out of sync or something. I'm no mechanic though but that would explain the burnt rubber smell. I will follow up once the service dept determines the root cause.

Last edited by irpete; 11-30-2013 at 07:22 PM.
irpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
KenHorse
Obama is a dangerous Putz
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
KenHorse's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui..... The Obama Regime is The Most Dishonest, Corrupt And Criminal In US HistoryŠ
Default

Hope it's a simple fix
KenHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
FrancisDGarcia
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Snohomish WA
Default

Don't worry too much. Warranty will take care of any major issues if any. I think it's better to have problems right off the bat than just when your warranty had run out.

Happened to me with my 2011 C6 Base Coupe. Steering issues, some oil leaks...
All taken care of by the dealer under warranty. I loved that car, but, I traded her for my C7. I miss her so. If I could keep her, I would have.
FrancisDGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
BPhillyc7
CF Senior Member
 
BPhillyc7's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Default

Sorry to hear that irpete. My VIN is very close (4709) and literally hit the 1,000 mile mark today, so I will be watching this thread closely. Good luck and thanks for posting.
BPhillyc7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
nailyo
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Default

Please keep us updated about your eLSD problem.
nailyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
irpete
CF Member
 
irpete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Ashburn VA
Default

I know GM will make it right and If it was going to happen I'd rather it happen under warranty. I will post updates as I get them.
irpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Cruiter
CF Senior Member
On order: Torch Red Z51
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Cumming GA
Default

Why don't you post this in the sticky thread at the top. Kelly from GM monitors that. I'd just copy and paste your original post.

Good that it's going to the dealer on a flatbed. If it turns out to be a lubricant issue then you now the dealer just 'thought' his mech checked it. I watched them check mine by dipping a wire into it. The plug is in the top and you just have to remove it and stick something long enough down to make sure lube is there. And there isn't much room to work in.

What was the last four of your vin? Mine was 3206, I think it was out of the danger #'s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpete View Post
I know GM will make it right and If it was going to happen I'd rather it happen under warranty. I will post updates as I get them.
__________________
Jim M
C7 Stingray is now bunk mate to my 2010 RX450h
She arrived Thursday 10/10/2013 .
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
irpete
CF Member
 
irpete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Ashburn VA
Default

***Update***

Car was towed to my local dealer this morning after getting the "service rear axle" warning. I just got a call and it appears that this was in fact a lubricant issue. My local Service manager says that the bulletin that went out 4 days after I picked up my car and it lists my VIN# as in the range of cars that need to be checked. They will now have to replace the entire rear end.

The sad part is that I specifically mentioned to the dealer that I read on the forum that several cars were found to have little or no rear diff fluid in them and I was assured that they check this as part of the PDI.

I would have thought that if my VIN #4629 was in the problem range on a bulletin someone would have notified me to have my car checked out.

Prior to the "service rear axle" warning there weren't any signs of a problem in the 700 miles I've put on it so far. Once I got the warning I drove straight home (less than 10 miles). So if your VIN is anywhere near the range of #4629 you may want to have yours checked.
irpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
speedlink
CF Senior Member
 
speedlink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpete View Post
***Update***

Car was towed to my local dealer this morning after getting the "service rear axle" warning. I just got a call and it appears that this was in fact a lubricant issue. My local Service manager says that the bulletin that went out 4 days after I picked up my car and it lists my VIN# as in the range of cars that need to be checked. They will now have to replace the entire rear end.

The sad part is that I specifically mentioned to the dealer that I read on the forum that several cars were found to have little or no rear diff fluid in them and I was assured that they check this as part of the PDI.

I would have thought that if my VIN #4629 was in the problem range on a bulletin someone would have notified me to have my car checked out.

Prior to the "service rear axle" warning there weren't any signs of a problem in the 700 miles I've put on it so far. Once I got the warning I drove straight home (less than 10 miles). So if your VIN is anywhere near the range of #4629 you may want to have yours checked.
From what has been reported on here, most of these problems require a re flash of the computer. Not a replacement.

Maybe ask the dealer to try that first. Do a search on here to see the people that this helped.
speedlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
irpete
CF Member
 
irpete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Ashburn VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlink View Post
From what has been reported on here, most of these problems require a re flash of the computer. Not a replacement.

Maybe ask the dealer to try that first. Do a search on here to see the people that this helped.
I asked. They said there was barely any fluid in the rear diff and driving it with little fluid has destroyed the rear end. Trust me, I'd rather have them replace the rear diff than to just add more fluid and re flash.
irpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
VIN666
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Default

Just to clarify:
It would seem that most of the issues reported, are regarding the rear AXLE, not the eLSD being low on fluid and hence getting fubar'd.
Was that the case with your vehicle?
The fact that people don't know a whole lot about the new rear end yet, leads to the eLSD getting a bad rap around here, for what seems an axle issue...
VIN666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
irpete
CF Member
 
irpete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Ashburn VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN666 View Post
Just to clarify:
It would seem that most of the issues reported, are regarding the rear AXLE, not the eLSD being low on fluid and hence getting fubar'd.
Was that the case with your vehicle?
The fact that people don't know a whole lot about the new rear end yet, leads to the eLSD getting a bad rap around here, for what seems an axle issue...
Good point. The reason I started it as a potential eLSD problem is because I was assured by my dealer that they were aware of the low fluid problems and that they check it as part of PDI. Sorry for any confusion.
irpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
VIN666
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Default

No need to be sorry.
I just try to avoid confusion.
VIN666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
TTRotary
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: City of Angels Socialist Republic of Kah-Li-Fohnia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlink View Post
From what has been reported on here, most of these problems require a re flash of the computer. Not a replacement.

Maybe ask the dealer to try that first. Do a search on here to see the people that this helped.
What I heard was that there was a batch of bad production boards that went out - bad meaning either firmware or hardware. According to my sources, this is the real reason behind Z51 constraint.

It really appears there may be 2 separate problems: mechanical issues and controller issues. Hope they can get this sorted out quickly.
TTRotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
CaptRat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
CaptRat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Marietta GA
Default

After reading through this thread and a couple of others, I gave my dealer a call for more information. What I learned is that there is an open "recall" on my car, VIN #2708, to check the rear diff fluid level. I asked if it was a recall or bulletin. I was told it's a recall.

I'm in the ATL area and the first diff that was low/dry happened here four days before my car was delivered. My dealer was well aware of that and said that they were checking ALL fluid levels during PDI. None the less, I'm taking my car in tomorrow morning to have the diff fluid checked again to satisfy the recall and to ease my concern. I haven't had any noises, smells or any other problems. I'm just being proactive.

I didn't ask the range of VIN #s covered by the recall. If you're near or below the OPs VIN, you might consider calling your dealer and finding out if you're in the range of the recall. I expected an email, postcard or call from GM or my dealer if I was in the range but received no notification. I guess they're treating it like many recalls and just satisfying it at the next service. Kind of an expensive way to operate in this case.

Rat
CaptRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
-CM-
CF Senior Member
 
-CM-'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: . Wyoming .
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRat View Post
After reading through this thread and a couple of others, I gave my dealer a call for more information. What I learned is that there is an open "recall" on my car, VIN #2708, to check the rear diff fluid level. I asked if it was a recall or bulletin. I was told it's a recall.

I'm in the ATL area and the first diff that was low/dry happened here four days before my car was delivered. My dealer was well aware of that and said that they were checking ALL fluid levels during PDI. None the less, I'm taking my car in tomorrow morning to have the diff fluid checked again to satisfy the recall and to ease my concern. I haven't had any noises, smells or any other problems. I'm just being proactive.

I didn't ask the range of VIN #s covered by the recall. If you're near or below the OPs VIN, you might consider calling your dealer and finding out if you're in the range of the recall. I expected an email, postcard or call from GM or my dealer if I was in the range but received no notification. I guess they're treating it like many recalls and just satisfying it at the next service. Kind of an expensive way to operate in this case.

Rat
It's not a recall, it's Customer Satisfaction Bulletin #13384.

Here are the first paragraphs:
CONDITION
The rear differential assembly in certain 2014 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may have been shipped from the supplier with insufficient fluid. Operating the vehicle without sufficient fluid in the rear differential assembly could produce a loud whine and/or gear or bearing noise.

CORRECTION
Dealers are to inspect the rear differential fluid level and add fluid, if necessary. If fluid is required, dealers are to also road-test the vehicle and listen for rear axle noise. If a whine, gear or bearing noise is present, dealers are to replace the rear differential assembly.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.
You can see recalls here. There are none for the C7.

Last edited by -CM-; 12-02-2013 at 06:48 PM.
-CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
CaptRat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
CaptRat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Marietta GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CM- View Post
It's not a recall, it's Customer Satisfaction Bulletin #13384.
Thanks for the clarification. I reported what I was told by the service writer at my dealership after I specifically asked if it was a bulletin or a recall. What a surprise, inaccurate info from the dealer.

Reading the bulletin, though, looks like GM is just using semantics regarding a recall vs a bulletin. The corrective action, replacing the diff if there's almost any noise, seems like it should rise to level above a "Customer Satisfaction Bulletin." I realize GM really doesn't want the bad publicity that goes along with the recall, but there are a lot of owners that aren't on CF and may not have a clue that there's a potential problem with their car that could be easily remedied before it requires a diff change.

I couldn't make it in to have my diff checked today so I didn't get a chance to talk with them in person. My salesman assured me at delivery that the diff was checked, so I'm not too concerned but I'll take it in anyway for peace of mind.

Rat
CaptRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
irpete
CF Member
 
irpete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Ashburn VA
Default

Update

I got a call from the Service guy today. GM has authorized the replacement of the rear end. One interesting thing he told me was that GM doesn't have a supply of spare parts so they are going to have to pull a rear end from a car that is scheduled for production. I hope I'm not stealing one from a pre-sold order. I'm told that I should be able to pick up my car at the end of the week. Surprisingly I'm still pretty positive about the whole thing. It's unfortunate that it happened but I like the way GM has handled the issue quickly.
irpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page eLSD Problem?
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost of ownership, Z51 vs non-Z51 Riding Dirty C7 General Discussion 47 10-31-2013 04:17 PM
Atter 16 long days in the shop with eLSD issue, Finally took her home pookie C7 General Discussion 40 10-23-2013 10:24 PM
My muffler sounds like their are small pebbles rattling around pookie C7 General Discussion 1 10-21-2013 07:26 PM
550 mile report on Crystal Red/Brownstone Jpiatchek C7 General Discussion 22 10-09-2013 01:31 AM
Z51 Package jdhommert C7 General Discussion 2 01-13-2013 07:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Emails & Password Backup