Sponsored by:

First time ordering out of state and using courtesy delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 AM
panerainovice
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First time ordering out of state and using courtesy delivery

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I just mailed out my deposit to MacMulkin Chevrolet earlier today and that will be my first step towards the purchase of a Torch Red Corvette Stingray. I live in Los Angeles, the dealers here are gouging in price. 50% of dealers quote me a 10k mark up, while the other 40% offer me 5k markup. The remaining 10% will offer it at MSRP but they don't have allocation!

I come from a very import oriented sports car background. 1996 Honda Civic to 2004 Mazda RX-8 to 2005 Honda S2000 to 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X to my now current car 2011 BMW 335d.

I'm very excited to move towards the American sports car sector and feel the Corvette is one of the most exciting cars out there right now and the price for the entire package is amazing.

Ron from MacMulkin Chevrolet has given me the time frame of about 3 months from order to delivery. He says the slow down is on transport as GM is starting to use rail instead of truck. Right now I'm just counting down the days till I get my Corvette. If anyone out there has any tips on what to expect for out of state purchasing using courtesy delivery, please feel free to chime in. I'll update this thread with my order updates and pics once I take delivery of my car.

My order:
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe LT1 with Z51 Performance Package
Exterior Color: Torch Red
Interior Color: Jet black
Wheels: Silver painted wheels
Transmission: 7 speed manual transmission
Magnetic Ride Control
Navigation system
Performance Exhaust

I wanted to keep it as simple as possible since I'm more about function over form.

Last edited by panerainovice; 12-04-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Saving41
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had read a very helpful post by one of the forum dealers on this very subject. Sorry that i can't find the thread now, but it should come up on a search. I ordered two corvettes from out of state ( CA) and found that Several dealers in my area would charge different amounts for a courtesy delivery, and some flat out refused. Best prices were from the smaller dealerships. I would try the dealers you talked to that did not have any allocations left. I had a great experience, and the salesman that helped me with the delivery called me as soon as my car showed up. Watched them do the pre-inspection, and once everything checked out...the money was handed over and I was on my way!
Will be looking out of state again when I have the funds. Look forward to hear how your experience goes.

Last edited by Saving41; 12-04-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Another option is have the car delivered to MacMulkin and their service department would go over and check everything out. Dealer can make a video, email to you and when satisfied have the car shipped to your front door. Don't stress, have fun!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Another option is have the car delivered to MacMulkin and their service department would go over and check everything out. Dealer can make a video, email to you and when satisfied have the car shipped to your front door. Don't stress, have fun!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Go to one of the 10% of dealers who have no allocation to see if they will do the courtesy delivery for a fair fee - $500. Don't expect those dealers who have cars and are selling them for MSRP or above to help you out. It is up to you to find a dealer locally to do a courtesy delivery.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Another option would be to get the museum delivery, nice trip, get to break the car in on the way home, see our beautiful country and enjoy some personal one on one with the museum staff. I have not done this, YET, but will be doing it soon. Others, who have done this, may chime in and give you their thoughts on this. I know many have stated in various threads about now great it is.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I did my purchase from Tommy MacMulkin and purchased a pre-ordered vette at build status 3300. Tommy had already done a N. California courtesy delivery with this dealership, and he got everything arranged - I didn't do a thing. Ask Ron if they've done another courtesy delivery in your area and can re-use a dealer. Otherwise, just start calling your dealerships within driving distance, and ask if they'll do one. It's quite simple. Courtesy of San Jose (courtesy doing a courtesy - cute!) charged me $400 - I've heard from $300 - $500 as norms. The courtesy dealership also took care of our state taxes and DMV registration.

It was our first cross country purchase, and it really couldn't have been smoother or easier. And MacMulkin is awesome to deal with!

Problem with having it go to NH first, then get transported to you, is that you have to pay extra transport costs. Doing a courtesy delivery, you just pay the $995 delivery fee that you'd pay anyways, with no extra transport fees. It would have been an extra $2K for us to transport the car from NH to CA.

And finally - you are going to be dumbfounded with this car!

Last edited by harmonyp; 12-04-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:46 PM
panerainovice
Instructor

Originally Posted by harmonyp
I did my purchase from Tommy MacMulkin and purchased a pre-ordered vette at build status 3300. Tommy had already done a N. California courtesy delivery with this dealership, and he got everything arranged - I didn't do a thing. Ask Ron if they've done another courtesy delivery in your area and can re-use a dealer. Otherwise, just start calling your dealerships within driving distance, and ask if they'll do one. It's quite simple. Courtesy of San Jose (courtesy doing a courtesy - cute!) charged me $400 - I've heard from $300 - $500 as norms. The courtesy dealership also took care of our state taxes and DMV registration.

It was our first cross country purchase, and it really couldn't have been smoother or easier. And MacMulkin is awesome to deal with!

Problem with having it go to NH first, then get transported to you, is that you have to pay extra transport costs. Doing a courtesy delivery, you just pay the $995 delivery fee that you'd pay anyways, with no extra transport fees. It would have been an extra $2K for us to transport the car from NH to CA.

And finally - you are going to be dumbfounded with this car!
I agree, it wouldn't be cost effective to have it delivered to MacMulkin then pay a transportation company to ship it to California. Courtesy delivery delivers it to the dealership of your choice so I think that's the best route. I spoke with Ron regarding this and he says to give him a list of dealerships that have good reputations in my area and he'll call them to find out. Great service. If anyone's had any experience using any dealerships around the Socal area, let me know
Old 12-04-2013, 02:33 PM
JRBurn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron handled my courtesy delivery to Cali, I checked with the transport co. they use and it would have been 2k from MacMulkin, it was simple to register in Cali too, except AAA cant register a new vehicle from out of state (it’s in there contract with DMV) and DMV wants a smog test when registering it, only in this Jacked up state would you have to smog a new vehicle.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM
panerainovice
Instructor

Originally Posted by JRBurn
Ron handled my courtesy delivery to Cali, I checked with the transport co. they use and it would have been 2k from MacMulkin, it was simple to register in Cali too, except AAA cant register a new vehicle from out of state (it’s in there contract with DMV) and DMV wants a smog test when registering it, only in this Jacked up state would you have to smog a new vehicle.

Wow, so you can't use AAA to register and pay your sales tax? and before you go to the DMV, you must have smogged it already?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:11 PM
JRBurn
Instructor

Originally Posted by panerainovice
Wow, so you can't use AAA to register and pay your sales tax? and before you go to the DMV, you must have smogged it already?
Yes, it's Cali and all the BS
Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Jbnick
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Ordered from McMulkin on 7/18. Torch Red built on 9/20. Courtesy Delivery to Florida on 10/5. No bitches, gripes or complaints.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saving41
I had read a very helpful post by one of the forum dealers on this very subject. Sorry that i can't find the thread now, but it should come up on a search. I ordered two corvettes from out of state ( CA) and found that Several dealers in my area would charge different amounts for a courtesy delivery, and some flat out refused. Best prices were from the smaller dealerships. I would try the dealers you talked to that did not have any allocations left. I had a great experience, and the salesman that helped me with the delivery called me as soon as my car showed up. Watched them do the pre-inspection, and once everything checked out...the money was handed over and I was on my way!
Will be looking out of state again when I have the funds. Look forward to hear how your experience goes.
One potential problem with using a smaller dealer - they may not have had the training/tools to deliver your new 'vette. It's not a bad approach, but I would be sure to ask if they have trained sales and tech support staff. That's a pretty significant investment for a dealer, and not all will make it. Not saying it's a bad idea, but that there are some questions that need to be asked.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
rickriada
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Jbnick
Ordered from McMulkin on 7/18. Torch Red built on 9/20. Courtesy Delivery to Florida on 10/5. No bitches, gripes or complaints.
I live in Tampa and am considering doing a courtesy delivery of my Z51 Artic White convertible to my local Tampa dealer that I get all of my services performed at for my Nissan and Chevy Products. They have a very small allocation so I would like to hear more about the steps that Jbnick had to take to have an out of state car delivered to Florida. This would start with the buying process and of course, end with the delivery process at the local dealer. Can you weigh in on my quest for this knowledge by maybe sending me a PM?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 PM
JRBurn
Instructor

Originally Posted by HummelS
One potential problem with using a smaller dealer - they may not have had the training/tools to deliver your new 'vette. It's not a bad approach, but I would be sure to ask if they have trained sales and tech support staff. That's a pretty significant investment for a dealer, and not all will make it. Not saying it's a bad idea, but that there are some questions that need to be asked.
I was told the dealer has to be certified on corvettes to do a courtesy delivery
Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

1. find a smaller dealer that has exhausted his allocation
2. keep your mouth shut about WHY you bought it out of state - tell him it's because of past dealings with the selling dealer, not he "had the car" or "could get you the car"
3. don't say a word about what you paid.
4. get the car and get out of there - don't expect the sales guy to do a thing...he's making nothing...read the sales guide, the owner's manual and the infortainment manual BEFORE you go in.

Think thru their eyes and do what you can to mitigate any feeling they may have, that you are not their customer - meet the GM and tell him you would like to give him your service business.

It's all how you act many times on what you get...customers can be as big a jerk as the dealer in these matters...
Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 PM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice choice on BOTH accounts

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I just mailed out my deposit to MacMulkin Chevrolet earlier today and that will be my first step towards the purchase of a Torch Red Corvette Stingray. I live in Los Angeles, the dealers here are gouging in price. 50% of dealers quote me a 10k mark up, while the other 40% offer me 5k markup. The remaining 10% will offer it at MSRP but they don't have allocation!

I come from a very import oriented sports car background. 1996 Honda Civic to 2004 Mazda RX-8 to 2005 Honda S2000 to 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X to my now current car 2011 BMW 335d.

I'm very excited to move towards the American sports car sector and feel the Corvette is one of the most exciting cars out there right now and the price for the entire package is amazing.

Ron from MacMulkin Chevrolet has given me the time frame of about 3 months from order to delivery. He says the slow down is on transport as GM is starting to use rail instead of truck. Right now I'm just counting down the days till I get my Corvette. If anyone out there has any tips on what to expect for out of state purchasing using courtesy delivery, please feel free to chime in. I'll update this thread with my order updates and pics once I take delivery of my car.

My order:
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe LT1 with Z51 Performance Package
Exterior Color: Torch Red
Interior Color: Jet black
Wheels: Silver painted wheels
Transmission: 7 speed manual transmission
Magnetic Ride Control
Navigation system
Performance Exhaust

I wanted to keep it as simple as possible since I'm more about function over form.

Well I bought the same car w/CF roof at the same dealer. I'm a little closer than you (RHODE ISLAND) and the experience with Mac was awesome. No drama, no hidden fees, kept in contact, and followed up. Ron even took pics for me when it arrived last Sat. I went up in car trailer and he was great the whole time. Can't go wrong with the TR and MacMulkin.

Good luck
Attached Images     

Get notified of new replies

To First time ordering out of state and using courtesy delivery

Old 12-13-2013, 11:47 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
1. find a smaller dealer that has exhausted his allocation
2. keep your mouth shut about WHY you bought it out of state - tell him it's because of past dealings with the selling dealer, not he "had the car" or "could get you the car"
3. don't say a word about what you paid.
4. get the car and get out of there - don't expect the sales guy to do a thing...he's making nothing...read the sales guide, the owner's manual and the infortainment manual BEFORE you go in.

Think thru their eyes and do what you can to mitigate any feeling they may have, that you are not their customer - meet the GM and tell him you would like to give him your service business.

It's all how you act many times on what you get...customers can be as big a jerk as the dealer in these matters...
I wasn't being a Jerk to this guy, I was just asking a question because I have heard of this service and I would think since I would be spending my money in there for servicing and any repairs etc... more than likely that he would have been nicer about it. I guess I need to do more research on this issue. Ok I shouldn't have told the REASON on why I went out of state but when your dealership doesn't have allocation for you what are you supposed to do? I am sure they are smart and would know I went to a volume dealer.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by air86
I wasn't being a Jerk to this guy, I was just asking a question because I have heard of this service and I would think since I would be spending my money in there for servicing and any repairs etc... more than likely that he would have been nicer about it. I guess I need to do more research on this issue. Ok I shouldn't have told the REASON on why I went out of state but when your dealership doesn't have allocation for you what are you supposed to do? I am sure they are smart and would know I went to a volume dealer.
relax, was written for everyone, not specifically you....
Old 12-14-2013, 06:43 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
relax, was written for everyone, not specifically you....
Oh my bad, you posted this after i posted so i figured it was what i said.

Quick Reply: First time ordering out of state and using courtesy delivery