C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I ordered an option that I have no idea what it looks like Hood stinger stripe.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:22 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I ordered an option that I have no idea what it looks like Hood stinger stripe.

I ordered a silver car, I would love to see some close up photos of this option (Hood stinger stripe, carbon flash). The photos on Chevy's web site look good but it would be nice to see a close up.

My guess is that since the hood is made of carbon fiber they leave part of the hood unpainted with a color coat and just clear coat the area where the stripe is and the carbon fiber is visible in the area where there is no color coat paint .

I already placed the order but it would be nice to see what it will look like.

If you have the option please post some close up pictures, and if you have a silver car that would be nice to see,
Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Might look at this thread of silver cars. There are a couple in there with the stinger stripe that is carbon flash in color.

Page 1 and 3 of the thread below will make you happy!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ic-thread.html

Last edited by rpoz06; 12-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

it's piece of vinyl that has some paint on it, has nothing to do with carbon fiber, it is color carbon flash...
Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Note that carbon flash is metallic black paint. Carbon fiber has sort of a woven cloth appearance.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by rpoz06
Might look at this thread of silver cars. There are a couple in there with the stinger stripe that is carbon flash in color.

Page 1 and 3 of the thread below will make you happy!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ic-thread.html
I originally order a vert then I switched to a coupe. I had never considered a stripe till I saw the thread you posted a link to. The pictures changed my mind about stripes and when I changed my order I added the stripe based on the pictures that were posted. None of the pictures posted have enough details to give me a good idea of what it will look like up close in person. Post n356 does show the metal flake on the louvers but I wish I could get a better look at the stripe itself. I have a feeling that to get better details you would need some professional lighting
Old 12-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Agent White
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14

My understanding is that it is a dealer installed item.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 AM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw it in person. Waist of money. nuff said.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by Agent White
My understanding is that it is a dealer installed item.
I am pretty sure it is factory installed.

Originally Posted by 5thgeneration
Saw it in person. Waist of money. nuff said.
I ordered it based on the pictures I saw posted in THIS THREAD
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I am pretty sure it is factory installed.

I ordered it based on the pictures I saw posted in THIS THREAD
I ordered the Carbon Flash Stinger Stripe, first time I saw a photo I had to have it. I met a girl for lunch in Mobile the other day who has one of the Premier C7's and it has the Stinger Stripe. I loved it. That being said, if I understood when I ordered (yes I know I'm a DA) the CF Stinger was a decal and not paint or lack of paint thereof I probably would not have and had it painted...which I may do later. There is a thread on this forum of one painted aftermarket. It looks awesome and I like the way it is painted better than the CF Stinger. That being said, I am happy for now and will not have it painted for a while...until hubby gets over the initial sticker shock. THEN it will be MOD time!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Have a friend take off the black hood stripe on his Z06 Cooksey and had it painted and clear coated...the way it should have originally been done. Came out beautiful, but the painter said he really lost on that job and wouldn't do it again for the amount he charged.

I've seen some lousy jobs adhering the stripes to the car (fender/rear) done from BG or the dealership.

Hope yours turns out okay, which I'm sure it will.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

The stinger stripe is fine if you look at your car as a a car and not an object of your OCD. It is small and there fore does not attact attention that it is vinyl. The "edges" don't show where it is and it glosses pretty well, exp with a coat like Opti coat 2.o, see my post here:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...html#post13964

The stinger stripe from Vette Fx a vendor here is much cheaper than the chevy stripe and is exactly the same to look at - I have had the premier edition and my car side by side - no difference.

Painting is the perfect way and some will opt for it. Understood. But you will lose you car or your hood for 3-4 days and a vinyl wrap installer can put on the stinger for $50 in 15 min....

both are great choices....The stinger stripe design wise is smart, it connects the hood vent to the windshield and eliminates the hood vent from "swimming" in the hood color...
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Glen e
The stinger stripe is fine if you look at your car as a a car and not an object of your OCD. It is small and there fore does not attact attention that it is vinyl. The "edges" don't show where it is and it glosses pretty well, exp with a coat like Opti coat 2.o, see my post here:

The stinger stripe from Vette Fx a vendor here is much cheaper than the chevy stripe and is exactly the same to look at - I have had the premier edition and my car side by side - no difference.

Painting is the perfect way and some will opt for it. Understood. But you will lose you car or your hood for 3-4 days and a vinyl wrap installer can put on the stinger for $50 in 15 min....

both are great choices....The stinger stripe design wise is smart, it connects the hood vent to the windshield and eliminates the hood vent from "swimming" in the hood color...
Thanks Glen I subscribed to the thread so I can gloss it once the C7 is here. Only 4 1/2 weeks away
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Lipstic
Thanks Glen I subscribed to the thread so I can gloss it once the C7 is here. Only 4 1/2 weeks away
BTW I will probably bug the **** out of you once it is here getting more detail info...yes, yes, yes I am OCD
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
nichtlangsam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ exactly...it is applied to the hood at the assembly plant by a private contractor on-site.

It is a vinyl decal, and I had it installed on my Crystal Red C7, and it looks so much better with it.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Lipstic
BTW I will probably bug the **** out of you once it is here getting more detail info...yes, yes, yes I am OCD
you know that's not a problem Becky, and I'll give you a few ways to go, not a single product....
Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Hope this pic shows more detail of the factory stripe.

Last edited by agapsdiver; 12-06-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Hope this pic shows more detail of the factory stripe.

I have no idea why you decided to post one of these >>>>>><<<<<<. but thank you for the close up, I hapen to think it looks good

Get notified of new replies

To I ordered an option that I have no idea what it looks like Hood stinger stripe.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glen e

I think the stripe is a big improvement in looks, and I am glad I ordered it. I would rather have it done at the factory instead of giving my car to some aftermarket person and worry they may take it for a test drive.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I think the stripe is a big improvement in looks, and I am glad I ordered it. I would rather have it done at the factory instead of giving my car to some aftermarket person and worry they may take it for a test drive.
Wrap shops are not like car dealers - you can watch them do it....but I know I'm not gonna change your mind...it was written for others here...

Last edited by Glen e; 12-06-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Save your money and do it aftermarket at a wrap shop as others have said, no brainer.

Quick Reply: I ordered an option that I have no idea what it looks like Hood stinger stripe.