Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M or SunTek Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:30 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd never heard of Suntek when I went to get my windows tinted. Their tinting seems like good stuff so far, but it's only been a year.

Although their claims that the top-grade keeps the interior cooler are in doubt at this point. lol.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM
NB68
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW,
I used the VentureShield line, (since bought out by 3M and added to their line) on my '08 back then.

It's been on there 7 yrs now and it looks as good as new after a lot of bugs, rocks, gravel, bumper scuffs etc.(41k mi).

It has not peeled, yellowed or any thing else.
Also did the thicker headlight protection and it all still looks invisible and has protected well.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM
NB68
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Mfg Product information link for Ventureshield.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...293812585&rt=d
Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 PM
C7Bill
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suntek

Originally Posted by djseto
I found an installer locally that does both Suntek and xPel. He says they are similar with xPel costing more mostly because of the warranty. Thoughts on this comment?
I had my C7 covered back to the cowl, mirrors and behind the rear wheels. My installer said for our cars he likes Suntek better than Xpel. My job looks great.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM
BJD
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3M clear bra installed, not happy.

I recently had the new 3m product installed on my C7. They covered the front end and mirrors. A couple of days later, I noticed a few marks on the finish and returned to the installer to bring the issue to their attention. The installer stated that these marks do happen due to the many curves of the surfaces. I stated that I would rather have them remove the film then put up with the appearance. He said to bring the car back and they would redo the film. Has anyone else had problems with their installations, or am I expecting to much?

Last edited by BJD; 05-31-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:18 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by BJD
I recently had the new 3m product installed on my C7. They covered the front end and mirrors. A couple of days later, I noticed a few marks on the finish and returned to the installer to bring the issue to their attention. The installer stated that these marks do happen due to the many curves of the surfaces. I stated that I would rather have them remove the film then put up with the appearance. He said to bring the car back and they would redo the film. Has anyone else had problems with their installations, or am I expecting to much?
Posts like this one make me question the use of protective films. I had one car, an Alpine White BMW, with a complete front end protection kit, pretty sure it was Venture Shield. I never liked the way it looked. Every time I detailed the car I wish I had never had it installed. I am leaning toward the use of a Novistretch bra when I am on the open road and just deal with the occasional chip as they happen.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:25 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
Suntek or xpel are the best
Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Jboneezer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suntek

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Posts like this one make me question the use of protective films. I had one car, an Alpine White BMW, with a complete front end protection kit, pretty sure it was Venture Shield. I never liked the way it looked. Every time I detailed the car I wish I had never had it installed. I am leaning toward the use of a Novistretch bra when I am on the open road and just deal with the occasional chip as they happen.
You should expect near perfection in the application of the clear bra. I have about a half dozen very tiny air bubbles that only I can find, but that's it.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:01 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by BJD
A couple of days later, I noticed a few marks on the finish and returned to the installer to bring the issue to their attention. The installer stated that these marks do happen due to the many curves of the surfaces.
Because of the many angles, the C7 application is much more difficult than, for example, a C6.

Originally Posted by BJD
I noticed a few marks on the finish and returned to the installer to bring the issue to their attention. The installer stated that these marks do happen due to the many curves of the surfaces.
There should be no marks on the finish or visible stretch marks in the film. If there are marks on the finish the installer damaged the paint while either trying to cut the material to fit while it was on the car or by using a burnishing tool to help stretch the film. If the paint is damaged it will have to be fixed before the film is reapplied.

Originally Posted by BJD
Has anyone else had problems with their installations, or am I expecting to much?
I had problems similar to yours with an Xpel application. The installer refused to address the problems and blamed the Xpel template for them.

Xpel examined the installation and covered the cost to re-install the film by a highly qualified installer who had none of the difficulties the original installer claimed were the fault of the film, etc. Talk about a manufacturer standing behind its product!

You should expect perfection. Maybe you'll have to go to Seattle to find it.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

So yesterday I'm cruising on I-10 west of Phx. doing 75 mph. From out of nowhere a thrown stone hits the hood on the driver's side about a foot in front of the windshield.
Unless the car had protection on just about the entire hood, nothing would have prevented the resulting small but deep chip. I went and saw a friend who works at a body shop. He took the VIN and will have the paint available sometime this week. He stated he will attempt to layer the paint (NRB) along with sanding and clearcoat. If it needs more, he will do whatever it takes. BTW the shop also does Maseratis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc.
I realize (from history) the first 'blemish' is the toughest to take. However, I hope to remedy every one that comes along.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 PM
1Bridog
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Default SUNTEK here

Had the full SUNTEK front, mirrors and bottom ducts done on my Z06....great resutls as far as im concerned. Had the half front done on my Porsche and XPEL left a residual mark after removing it...

IMHO, the SUNTEK is performing great.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:08 AM
John Blade
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
Your right in that you judge film on numerous factors. That's why Suntek and Xpel Ultimate are the two best films in the industry. Both are self healing... so no need to buff anything out. Both films have better adhesives... 3M is much too aggressive and if it needs to be removed most if not all of the adhesive stays on the paint. 3M also has entirely too much orange peel. durability is questionable as I have seen it chip where rocks have gotten into it. 3M top coat is not good for flexing with the impact. And finally I have numerous people contact me every year with 3M on their vehicles that have cracked. Once it cracks it is nearly impossible to remove. It is the only film out there I have ever seen do that. Their next gen film better be MUCH improved or they will continue to loose sales. At this point I do not touch the stuff, either installing or removing.
I have story about Clearbra in the long term. I own a white Tundra (one day I will own a Corvette) purhcased new in 2006 and just got the 3M Clearbra removed after 9 years and 90k miles because it was starting to turn a hint of yellow hue. When I got the truck, I had accidentally hit a fence once and another time drifting it down a mountain once scraped the front bumper on the wall of a snowdrift at about 25 MPH for about 10 feet. Both times the clearbra was torn and stained but it took the entire brunt of both incidents with the paint being miraculously fine!

After removal of the 9 year old Clearbra yesterday (full front, sides), the paint underneath looks like the truck was in a time capsule. The headlight and foglight lenses look prisrine and the Suntek installers had no issues removing the 9 year old Clearbra.

Unfortunately, there are no 3M dealers in my area (UT) so just had the Suntek applied to the Tundra and a new Mustang GT. Looks not as thick as the 3M and I hope it protects as well. The Suntek finish is a slightly smoother with less orange peel but unless your are looking for it you can't tell the difference they both look fantastic. I juat hope it is as durable as the 3M Clearbra was!

Last edited by John Blade; 02-04-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
So yesterday I'm cruising on I-10 west of Phx. doing 75 mph. From out of nowhere a thrown stone hits the hood on the driver's side about a foot in front of the windshield.
Unless the car had protection on just about the entire hood, nothing would have prevented the resulting small but deep chip. I went and saw a friend who works at a body shop. He took the VIN and will have the paint available sometime this week. He stated he will attempt to layer the paint (NRB) along with sanding and clearcoat. If it needs more, he will do whatever it takes. BTW the shop also does Maseratis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc.
I realize (from history) the first 'blemish' is the toughest to take. However, I hope to remedy every one that comes along.
I live in that area and have had rocks hit my windshield out of nowhere, like from across traffic because there were no cars in front of me. I try not to drive behind people if I can help it. Knowing a good paint guy helps, I agree.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:42 AM
1776DAVE
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

This demo is why I went with the new 3M materal as we have lots of gravel on our paved roads on Marian Co fl. And there are still cattle drives every month of between 50 to 100 head so LITERALLY my road gets covered with bull and horse Sh_t quite often.
I do wish I had checked to see if he was a certified installer but water underthe bridge now. There's a thread about removing this stuff that for most part is old post but does tell one that removal years later will likely be a issue! And that covered locations will look new compared to uncovered when it is removed. Most c7s have a lot of orange peel anyway, My car is AW so it doesn't hardly show and if removed won't show as much. ALL STONE chips will show instantly and be hard to repair. Only a car that is not drove on roads will look new for years. PPF is good for stone chip and scratch protection and I liked what I saw in this video. But every one is entitled to do what they think best for there Corvette.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:57 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have a C7 with the 3M I had installed a couple of months ago and looks great! You can't even tell its on the car. I had another car with 3M on it for 10 years. The installer, which does removals also, removed the 3M without issue. She indicated that you have to use the correct technique, supplies and tools and it is a piece of cake. I'm sure the Xpel and others are just fine too.
I think the key here is to get a good installer of the product whatever your choice is.
If this gal can remove the product without issue I think others that try to remove it don't have the experience and correct technique. She said it has to be applied properly to begin with for removal to be successful.
When she installs the product you don't pick the car up the same day. She checks it out the next morning with three of her other installers to get more eyes on it and check all the edges for quality control purposes. If there is an issue they remove it and replace it before they approve the car for customer delivery. I don't think you can ask for more than that.

Last edited by joemessman; 02-04-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 3M or SunTek Clear Bra?