Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:22 PM
AH1H
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I couldn't get the Z51, then I wouldn't get it at all.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by skinner1961
And dont forget about the $2500 brake job you will need at 20.000 miles and the extra cost of oil changes
This, and I imagine there are some additional maintenance with the e-diff, coolers and such. Tire replacement will be a tad more expensive. Of course none of this may even be a concern, but if it is, it's something to think about.

Flip side is that private resale of a Z51 may bring a better price, however, because of the low cost of the package, not so sure about trade in.

The real question is, why is you're dealer trying to talk you out of the Z51? I mean, it's nothing to them really whether you order it or not. Unless, they know that they won't be getting a Z51 allocation for some time to come. I would ask about that.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Zevo
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Gm has stated factory Z51 brakes will last approx 20000 miles with no track use at a replacement cost of $2500, and the extra clearance is no different cause the non Z51 does not have the center gound spoiler on the front, Sve your money its the same car with less maintenance
Can anyone link to the source of this info. If this is true then I would definitely skip the z51. I'm specifically referring to brake costs
Old 12-15-2013, 01:08 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Flip side is that private resale of a Z51 may bring a better price, however, because of the low cost of the package, not so sure about trade in.
Never trade your car in at a dealership, I work at a dealership so ask me how I know.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by themonk
Never trade your car in at a dealership, I work at a dealership so ask me how I know.
True, you'll never see the true value for sure. However, depending on the car and the situation, sometimes it worth giving up a few bucks to avoid the hassle of the tire kickers and BS phone calls of trying to sell outright. Plus the trade in value will lower the sales tax on the new car.

But agreed, the dealer is going for the lowest wholesale price they can, and if your car is modded in any way, forget about it.

I had a couple trade in a '99 Tahoe for an '04 Trailblazer, this back in '04. The Tahoe was in good shape, so our used car manager put it on our lot. I think we gave them like $5 or $6K. The manager put a tag on it for $19K.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 12-15-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:26 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
$2500 ????? That is VERY steep, especially with no track use. Can you tell us where GM stated this replacement cost? That may be the deciding factor as to whether or not I order the Z51 option.
I bet a lot of people didn't know that was the cost... Could help other people decide on the issue as well.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:41 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta
My chain considers itself tugged.

It's SOOO important to use the correct terminology on this forum!

What we need is a separate C7 forum for those of us who didn't grow up in a garage or at Daytona and know as much about cars (other than we like them!) as we do astrophysics ... where we can ask stupid questions (to y'all, but not to us) without getting run out of town on a rail.

There are no stupid questions... Only stupid answers.

Everyone should be allowed to feel comfortable asking a question.. If you don't know, ask...... Sometimes you just have to walk around a few mud holes that pop up from time to time as you walk down the road.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:57 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
I bet a lot of people didn't know that was the cost... Could help other people decide on the issue as well.
We don't know whether that's the cost. I doubt it is. The person who said that hasn't responded to questions as to when and where GM actually said this. ***-u-ming that brake jobs will cost $2,500 every 20,000 miles won't help make a good decision because wrong information is worse than no information.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 AM
thebeastifier
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zevo
Can anyone link to the source of this info. If this is true then I would definitely skip the z51. I'm specifically referring to brake costs
I doubt he'll link a source because this is total BS. Probably someone who got a base C7 because he couldn't afford an optioned Z51 and now wants to justify it by making the Z51 sound worse than it is on public forums .

While I have no doubt that it'll cost more than the base, $2500 every 20k miles is complete BS. I highly doubt they'll need to be replaced that often under normal usage. More importantly, the cost of replacing all of them will be nowhere near that high. Just look at rotor/brake pad costs for previous corvettes (not counting the ZR1 using carbon ceramics). There's really nothing all that special about the Z51 brakes that would justify such a high cost.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
We don't know whether that's the cost. I doubt it is. The person who said that hasn't responded to questions as to when and where GM actually said this. ***-u-ming that brake jobs will cost $2,500 every 20,000 miles won't help make a good decision because wrong information is worse than no information.
In the one 1 1/2 minute I dedicated to a search Brembo brakes for the Stingray, I couldn't find much if anything. Auto Anything lists their GT pad and rotor set up, looking under 2014 Corvette, for a little over $3K. But I believe this is aftermarket stuff. Nothing listed as direct OEM replacement parts.

The only real answer would come from the FSM for Stingray. It really would depend on what is listed as required for brake service. For example, on the Z51 two peice rotors, can they be machined, or does the FSM require replacement? Which is very possible.

However, iirc, the 2014 Z51 brake system is comparable to the Z06 set up? If so, I would start there for an idea of brake job proceedure and cost? But $2,500 wouldn't suprise me, but every 20K miles (street driven) would.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

The Z51 brake answer won't matter if the Z06 will be available with CCBs. Brakes for life, hopefully.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Gm has stated factory Z51 brakes will last approx 20000 miles with no track use at a replacement cost of $2500, and the extra clearance is no different cause the non Z51 does not have the center gound spoiler on the front, Sve your money its the same car with less maintenance
Unless the rotors need replacing at 20K miles (and under normal use I can't see why), I can't possibly imagine $2,500 for pads

(and hell.. pads can easily be replaced in your own garage in an afternoon)
Old 12-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Xfactors
Instructor

I don't believe this for a second.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:31 PM
NightStash
Intermediate

There is obviously no credibility to this statement.

Don't feed the troll....
Old 12-15-2013, 06:56 PM
thebeastifier
Advanced

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Unless the rotors need replacing at 20K miles (and under normal use I can't see why), I can't possibly imagine $2,500 for pads

(and hell.. pads can easily be replaced in your own garage in an afternoon)
Even if the rotors need replacing, why would it be 2500? Am I missing something about the Z51s brakes? I mean you could get a full set of C6 Z06 rotors for like 400 bucks. What is it about Z51 brakes that could possibly inflate the price by a factor of 5?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Amazing if some one posts anything negative they are immediately a troll.

Consider this: two heavy duty 2011 C6 Z06 rear rotors will cost you your lungs. Check out the cost at GM parts house. You can probably get them cheaper from EBC.

If you replace all four rotors and pads it is very possible that you will be looking at a material amount of money. Dealers usually charge list price. $ 2,500.00 is quite possible and I always look for a bargain.

The new C7 Z51 has brakes which are comparable. If you utilize EBC the rotors should be cheaper than direct replacement from GM but a four wheel brake job will be expensive......

My suggestion is to spend some time, do a search and look at the cost of parts....... and yes you can get cheaper rotors & pads but sometimes you get what you pay for....... cheaper rotors usually weigh more and now you have more rotating mass.

as the old saying goes......

"If you want to play you have to pay".

I find it frustrating that most of you on this forum only want to read what you want to read anything else is put down.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

$2500 for a brake job is retarded! That is just plain stupid.

I'm sorry but all these guys on here who absolutely have to have Z51 are likely never to really need any of it. The base car has great handling, good brakes and a very adequate lubrication system. Tuning fork wheels, indeed. Look at the after market already. More than you can imagine. The $2800 for Z51 is no bargain if you really won't make use of it on a road course or similar track conditions.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or not?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:43 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Tommy D

Consider this: two heavy duty 2011 C6 Z06 rear rotors will cost you your lungs. Check out the cost at GM parts house. You can probably get them cheaper from EBC.

If you replace all four rotors and pads it is very possible that you will be looking at a material amount of money. Dealers usually charge list price. $ 2,500.00 is quite possible and I always look for a bargain.

The new C7 Z51 has brakes which are comparable. If you utilize EBC the rotors should be cheaper than direct replacement from GM but a four wheel brake job will be expensive......

My suggestion is to spend some time, do a search and look at the cost of parts....... and yes you can get cheaper rotors & pads but sometimes you get what you pay for....... cheaper rotors usually weigh more and now you have more rotating mass.

I find it frustrating that most of you on this forum only want to read what you want to read anything else is put down.
Okay, I did exactly what you suggested. I priced out Stoptech performance street pads and Stoptech Sport slotted rotors for for all corners for a 2011 C6 Z06. The cost, before shipping and taxes was..................................... ...... are you ready?.................................. .....................

$740 to replace the pads AND rotors on all four corners from TireRack. Pretty close to 1/4 of the cost that is being questioned. And while the new C7 does have great brakes, they are not CCB's or anything else exotic. So no, I still don't believe $2500 is anything CLOSE to what a basic brake job will cost.

And you wonder why we called the post a troll comment? You might do YOUR due diligence and tell us what you get for pricing.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM
thebeastifier
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tommy D

I just looked it up, replacing all the rotors on the Z06 @ roughly 85 dollars each = $340. I'd hardly say 300 bucks is "costing someone their lungs" for someone spending 70k on a car. Front and rear pads together come out to about a thousand. So let's say $1340 together using OEM prices from GM's parts warehouse. A far cry from $2500, and you can get it significantly cheaper aftermarket.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
$2500 for a brake job is retarded! That is just plain stupid.

I'm sorry but all these guys on here who absolutely have to have Z51 are likely never to really need any of it. The base car has great handling, good brakes and a very adequate lubrication system. Tuning fork wheels, indeed. Look at the after market already. More than you can imagine. The $2800 for Z51 is no bargain if you really won't make use of it on a road course or similar track conditions.
The base car sits 1" lower then the z51 because of the bigger rims on the z51. Makes all the difference in the world going over low spots

Quick Reply: Z51 or not?