Sponsored by:

Why I think the new C7 has camaro looking tailights

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why I think the new C7 has camaro looking tailights

I have read a lot if complaints about the look of the rear end on the new C7 and I think I understand the disappointment that the designer strayed from the classic corvette look. I have to admit the first time I saw a C7 was coming up on it from behind on the highway. From a distance I thought Acura had come out with a new NSX, and then I was like that's too big to be a NSX. As I got close to it the tail lights gave it away as a Chevy and then I knew it had to be the new Corvette.

How would you like to be the designer and show your drawing to the boss and have him say, how do I know that's a corvette? Make it look like a chevy...

People have seen the new camaro for a few years now and those tail lights are familiar now.

First off the C7 is one cool badass looking car. My girlfriend thought it looked cool and she doesn't know that much about cars but when I brought my C6 home she instantly knew it was a corvette. If you smoothed over the tail light lenses on the C7 and painted it Ferrari red and out the prancing horse on the back I could easily have sold her that its a Ferrari. Or smoothed over the tail lights and put the Acura trademark on there and convinced her its a new NSX. Nevertheless the car looks cool.

Without those tail lights and the Corvette logo I could have been convinced it was a Ferrari or a Acura...

The Corvette purists are getting older and Chevy is looking for a younger generation to buy into the Corvette. It is a complete redesign and the car is cool and badass looking but I wonder if it has lost some of its identity? People see the previous versions and instantly know its a Corvette. Without those tail lights you might not know its a Chevy. When the viper came out you could have badged it as something besides a dodge because it was so different and nobody would have known the difference.

The new C7 is obviously a home run for Chevy as it is selling extremely well. Many C6 owners will eventually trade up. Maybe the C6 was/is the last great Corvette that had the classic Corvette look.

I don't personally care for the camaro looking tail lights on the C7 but understand possibly why they are there. Maybe the era of the classic Corvette has passed with the new model. I'm not sure I want to trade up for something that people don't instantly recognize as a Corvette. I wouldn't have the heart to post this on the C7 forum as those new owners are so happy and enthusiastic about their new rides and there C7 are extremely cool just not for me I think...
Old 12-17-2013, 04:34 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

They're not Camaro tail lights and I for one don't particularly care for the look of the C7 EXCEPT from certain side angles.Having said that... in before the people get here...
Old 12-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
They're not Camaro tail lights and I for one don't particularly care for the look of the C7 EXCEPT from certain side angles.Having said that... in before the people get here...
I don't mean that they are actually camaro tail lights I just think they resemble them and identify the car with the Chevy brand.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
YakovC6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For looks C7 best corvette of new ones
Old 12-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Good lord, give it a rest!!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The Corvette has Camaro tail lights?

I thought the Camaro had Corvette tail lights.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:59 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
I have read a lot if complaints about the look of the rear end on the new C7 and I think I understand the disappointment that the designer strayed from the classic corvette look.
If I wanted a classic corvette , I would have bought one. I like the new look, and that's why I bought one.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by KingMotley
If I wanted a classic corvette , I would have bought one. I like the new look, and that's why I bought one.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

In talking with Kirk Bennion one evening, he said that he had heard comments from younger non-Corvette types (exactly the target audience) when looking at the tail of a Corvette, that Corvettes haven't changed in 20 years.
Of course all of us here know the changes, but the younger people that haven't followed Corvettes closely don't notice the change. They knew they had to make a drastic change to reach those people.
Kirk is a friend of mine, and I probably ribbed him too much about the taillights..........but I think they have done a great job.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
I wouldn't have the heart to post this on the C7 forum as those new owners are so happy and enthusiastic about their new rides and there C7 are extremely cool just not for me I think...
Okay but this IS the C7 forum, I think.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

This thread won't last long. Mods will be home from work soon.

IBTL
Old 12-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

The 2014 camaro has HIDEOUS looking tail lights.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Top Speed
I love every aspect of the C7 but the rear end. It's not really the tail lamps for me it's the whole tall boxy look it has. The Convertible looks better without the AMC Marlin hatch look. The Convertible looks more like a Corvette than the coupe less high without that sloping hatch door.
100% C7 VERT !!!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Top Speed
I love every aspect of the C7 but the rear end. It's not really the tail lamps for me it's the whole tall boxy look it has. The Convertible looks better without the AMC Marlin hatch look. The Convertible looks more like a Corvette than the coupe less high without that sloping hatch door.

Oh, I think the tail is a bit overdesigned and a bit out of character with the rest of the car. It's good, but not great.

But, nothing is perfect and I don't look at the tail when I'm in the driver's seat.

It's the feeling that I get from the driver's seat that's important, not the view of the guy behind me in a Camry looking bored to death as he drives his peoplewagon to work everyday.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

For the ONE BILLIONTH time....

Corvettes have not always had round tail lights. IN FACT, C1s, C4s and C5s didn't

Sheesh...

Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Enough with the tail light threads. We've already had way too many of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I think the new C7 has camaro looking tailights

Quick Reply: Why I think the new C7 has camaro looking tailights