C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint runs on the doors...the final chapter...SHE'S HOME!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:52 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Paint runs on the doors...the final chapter...SHE'S HOME!

On Friday, October 11, I took delivery of my new 2014 Corvette. I picked it up in Richmond, Virginia, on a rainy day. The dealership had it all shined up and sitting inside their detail shop. I spent about 45 minutes going over the car using a check list that I had found here on the corvette forum then I took it for a test drive. Since it was dark and dreary outside, I didn't have an opportunity to look at it in full sunlight that day, or any of the first three days I had it because it was cloudy and rainy in Richmond the whole time I was there. However, I did notice a couple of issues Friday evening when I had parked it in a friend's garage where I was spending the weekend.

I really enjoyed the drive back to SW Oklahoma that Sunday and Monday. It was a blast driving something that almost everyone noticed and wanted to spend time looking at and talking about. I've never been photographed in a moving vehicle so many times in my life! When I got home, I showed her off to all of my friends through the week and started detailing her up to show her off at a local car show. It was then that I noticed quite a few more fit and finish issues and posted a thread about the problems I saw: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...the-doors.html

I made an appointment with my local Service Director for Monday, October 21. He kept the car and had the Manager of Aftersales come look at the car with him. They found other issues that I had not seen and contacted plant management to see how they wanted to handle the situation. As you probably already know, the plant wanted the car back so they could replace the body panels and correct all of the issues. So, on Monday, October 28, a truck arrived at my local dealership and my Corvette was loaded for her trip back to the factory. It was then that I started a new thread to keep everyone updated: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-delivery.html

The plant first corrected several electronic problems: competitive driving mode was not activating, memory seat recall was not working properly, and the center media screen was flickering. Once they had those issues corrected, they began the process of re-skinning the car. To make a long story short, they ran into problems with the first attempts to re-skin my car. At one point, my car was scheduled to be released but after a meeting of upper management, it was decided that they were not 100% satisfied and were going to do the job again. I'm grateful that they weren't going to send anything back to me that they were not 100% satisfied with!

My local Service Director had initially shared with me that the process would probably take around three weeks, but that GM would compensate me for whatever length of time my Corvette was away. I would have preferred to have had my Corvette back sooner rather than later, but of greater importance to me was that the car would be without issue when it returned, so I was okay with the delay.

At some point along the way, I realized I could activate OnStar's Family Link and find the physical location of my car at any time. You can only imagine the excitement when I saw it had left Bowling Green the afternoon of Tuesday, December 17! My excitement grew on Wednesday as it entered Oklahoma on Wednesday! On Thursday, morning, the truck left the town it had stopped in for the night. It was only a few hours away, but had to stop at two Oklahoma City dealerships, a Norman dealership, and a Blanchard dealership, before delivering my Corvette to my dealership in Lawton. As it neared Lawton, I jumped into my 1994 Corvette and took off to find the truck that was hauling my baby back to me! I intercepted the truck about one mile from the dealership and followed her into the dealership parking lot. It was like following Santa and his sleigh! I could barely contain myself when she was backed off the truck and I was asked to drive her in to the service bay!

I spent a little time checking her out that afternoon, but the Manager of Aftersales wanted to be there to inspect the car, to deliver it to me, and to present me with a check from GM, so we set up an appointment for Friday afternoon. Of course, I made a check list of things I wanted to make sure were corrected and eagerly awaited my appointment. At that time, I did not know how much money I would receive, but I figured they would treat me right since everything they had done for me up to that point had left me quite pleased.

The meeting on Friday went extremely well. I went through the checklist and was very pleased that the electronic issues and paint issues had been corrected. As a matter of fact, the paint quality that the plant provided is a show car quality finish and it really pops! I was equally pleased with the amount of money that GM had provided for me, and it was a proper amount for the time that my Corvette was away. I am choosing to not disclose the amount they provided for me because every situation is different and I do not want the dollar amount to seem like a precedent for any other situation. I also did not have to sign any form of non-disclosure. Suffice it to say that I am very happy with the amount!

Management wanted to provide me with a loaner vehicle while my Corvette was back in BG. Since I did not really need one, I asked for a variety of accessories instead. A couple of the items I asked for were unavailable at the time, but will be provided to me when they are available. Here are the items that were provided:
  • Wing Spoiler
  • Stingray Floor Mats
  • Stingray Cargo Mat (not yet available because they are redesigning it with shade hook holes)
  • Stingray Door Sill Plates (Will be sent to me)
  • Stingray Center Caps (also returned my C7 flag center caps to me)
  • C7 Flag Valve Stem Caps
  • Stingray Car Cover
  • Targa Top Cover

The side skirts and front splitter that you can see in the photos was not provided by GM. I bought them while the car was at the plant and my local Service Director helped me install them on Friday evening. They are painted in carbon flash and I really like them on the car. A big reason for adding them was to prevent rock chips on the sides of the car and I think they look great and are a very functional add. Other front splitter options may become available that I like better, but I'm going with this one for now. I'll post other information about these in my mod thread.

I don't feel that I could have been treated more appropriately or professionally by my local Service Director, the regional Manager of Aftersales, or plant leadership in Bowling Green! While I would have preferred to have not gone through this situation at all, I am so happy to have my car back in such beautiful condition, with complimentary accessories provided by GM and money in my pocket, some of which will be used on a few more aftermarket goodies.

Finally, thanks to everyone on the forum who posted comments and encouragement over the last two months. I've made several new friends and appreciate those who have reached out to me through PMs and phone calls. For everyone here, if there is ever anything I can do to help you in some way, please do not hesitate to ask. It's the least I can do to repay those who have been there for me during this time. Thank you all!

P.S. I'll be driving my new Corvette in the Corvette Caravan to the NCM for the 20th Anniversary Celebration in August and I hope to meet many of you in person there!

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 12-22-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Looking good man, I honestly didn't think VY could look so good.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:58 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by themonk
Looking good man, I honestly didn't think VY could look so good.
Thank you very much!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:00 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Looks great. Love the side skirts.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:21 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jag.....I couldn't be more happier for yoy..you deserved everything you received and then some....you are a class act my friend....and all of us here have learned/should take a lesson from you.IM glad your local dealer really stepped up from you and if I got this right they weren't even the selling dealer .....that is just awesome Kudos to them!...I'm glad you are happy,now get out and enjoy it!

Ron
Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Great to hear that GM really stood behind their product. Glad they fixed the problems to your satisfaction. Now go and enjoy that new ride...
Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's supremely gorgeous. not a flaw on her
Old 12-22-2013, 02:31 AM
10-7 OD
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. Glad the factory stepped up and took care of you. That is the best looking yellow C7 paint job I've seen to date. Nice!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I am very Happy it all worked out....
Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Perfect! Stunning! When I saw the off-loading pics from the other day, I knew BG had done it's done very well. It really has that assembled-with-pride look. Now it's time for celebration! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:57 AM
RickDI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous! Glad it all worked out!

Interesting about the cargo mats. Explains why they are on back order everywhere.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Looks great. Love the side skirts.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by vetehead
Jag.....I couldn't be more happier for yoy..you deserved everything you received and then some....you are a class act my friend....and all of us here have learned/should take a lesson from you.IM glad your local dealer really stepped up from you and if I got this right they weren't even the selling dealer .....that is just awesome Kudos to them!...I'm glad you are happy,now get out and enjoy it!

Ron
That's correct...not even the selling dealer! Amazing job on their part to say the least!

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Great to hear that GM really stood behind their product. Glad they fixed the problems to your satisfaction. Now go and enjoy that new ride...
That, I will do...as soon as the freezing rain stops!

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
She's supremely gorgeous. not a flaw on her
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 10-7 OD
Wow. Glad the factory stepped up and took care of you. That is the best looking yellow C7 paint job I've seen to date. Nice!
It has very minimal orange peel in it!

Originally Posted by fasttoys
I am very Happy it all worked out....
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
Perfect! Stunning! When I saw the off-loading pics from the other day, I knew BG had done it's done very well. It really has that assembled-with-pride look. Now it's time for celebration! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
Yes, indeed! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family too!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:04 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by RickDI
Gorgeous! Glad it all worked out!

Interesting about the cargo mats. Explains why they are on back order everywhere.
Thanks! And yes, it does. Glad they are adding the holes to it. Someone designed an oops in the original design, but if you have one of the originals, it may be a collectors piece some day.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:07 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Looking great. I'd been following your thread and I'm glad everything worked out perfectly, and a big kudos to the dealership for going to bat for you as well as GM for making it right. Bad PR during their launch wouldn't be a wise course of action, and their reaction was a great way to handle the backfire.

That spoiler looks fantastic.

It's unfortunate that it happened in the first place, but you really couldn't ask for a better fix to the screw-up.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:41 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jag....during the process did anyone in the know ever indicate how wide spread the quality issues are with fit and finish??? After reading your ordeal I feel lucky that I received a car with such quality fit and finish.I have had a few problems with the car to date tho!

Last edited by vetehead; 12-22-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:25 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Last edited by C8Jake; 12-22-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:53 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gmwindsor
Is the right side flush?
If you want a more aggressive overlap you'll have to shop elsewhere...
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Paint runs on the doors...the final chapter...SHE'S HOME!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 AM
thealien
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am glad you are happy and hope you get many trouble free years driving it.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

Congratulations...

It looks absolutely

I love the side skirts, they should save a lot of rock chips, and they look great.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Blue Lagoon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congratulations

Been lurking around here like a junkie for a long time, waiting for a "fix" on this thread. Never been a big fan of yellow, but your vette looks awesome. You, and all involved handled this like all problems would be handled in a perfect world.
Only problem I see you facing now is the car is too beautiful to drive!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint runs on the doors...the final chapter...SHE'S HOME!