C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered an Automatic. Having second thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 PM
ronvenna
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ordered an Automatic. Having second thoughts...

So i ordered my 1LT AW z51 Mag Ride Automatic about two weeks ago and I am having second thoughts on the automatic transmission. I have been reading some articles online about how the Automatic transmission is very slow and even GM is replacing it next year. However all those articles were about non z51 cars. Everyone that I have talked to has said that the z51 car is like a completely different car from the non-z51. So can someone with a z51 automatic please share your experiences with the Automatic transmission and the shift speed? I currently own a 2010 Camaro RS Automatic and the paddle shifters are horrible, is the experience similar? Would love to hear from someone that owns one rather than auto journalists.

BTW here are the links to the two articles that talked about the bad auto transmission.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/t...ven-this-year/

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=28875

Last edited by ronvenna; 12-26-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 PM
panerainovice
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronvenna
So i ordered my 1LT AW z51 Mag Ride Automatic about two weeks ago and I am having second thoughts on the automatic transmission. I have been reading some articles online about how the Automatic transmission is very slow and even GM is replacing it next year. However all those articles were about non z51 cars. Everyone that I have talked to has said that the z51 car is like a completely different car from the non-z51. So can someone with a z51 automatic please share your experiences with the Automatic transmission and the shift speed? I currently own a 2010 Camaro RS Automatic and the paddle shifters are horrible, is the experience similar? Would love to hear from someone that owns one rather than auto journalists.

BTW here are the links to the two articles that talked about the bad auto transmission.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/t...ven-this-year/

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=28875

I would recommend waiting for the newer dual clutch 7 or 8 speed auto gearbox coming soon or stick with the 7 speed manual with rev matching.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by panerainovice
I would recommend waiting for the newer dual clutch 7 or 8 speed auto gearbox coming soon or stick with the 7 speed manual with rev matching.
He already ordered it.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:06 AM
ronvenna
Instructor

Originally Posted by panerainovice
Yup I already ordered it and my plan is to trade it in for a z06 maybe two or three years down the line. But I live in San Francisco and its going to suck using a manual on those hills and in traffic everyday. But is the manual that big of a deal breaker for this car? If it is than i'm thinking of canceling the order and picking up a Boxster with PDK and waiting for the z06 with the dual clutch auto.

Last edited by ronvenna; 12-27-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Razz1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just answered your own question.

Traffic and hills.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ronvenna
Yup I already ordered it and my plan is to trade it in for a z06 maybe two or three years down the line. But I live in San Francisco and its going to suck using a manual on those hills and in traffic everyday. But is the manual that big of a deal breaker for this car? If it is than i'm thinking of canceling the order and picking up a Boxster with PDK and waiting for the z06 with the dual clutch auto.
Manuals have hill assist.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:24 AM
panerainovice
Instructor

If you're good at driving manual, hills and traffic are really not an issue.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

What!!! My auto non z51... is slow?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 AM
panerainovice
Instructor

Ignorant is bliss. I use to drive a Mitsubishi Evo X with the dual clutch transmission and I can say that car's dual clutch transmission is world's better and faster than any slush box.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 AM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

I have a Z51 Auto. I took it to Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA and had one of the Proformance Racing School instructors drive in around the track. He was pretty impressed with it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I have an A6. I love it. I use it manual mode when I'm in traffic. No problems at all. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Drive one and decide. I have an A6 in my Z51 and it works great - it shifts as fast as I can pull the paddles, and faster than I could manage with the stick.

If you waiting for a DCT, you will waste a lot of time. You will not see one in a C7. In addition, the torque convertor auto transmission is undergoing a revival. The next generation of torque convertors autos like the ZF 8-speed and others will likely put the DCT back on the shelf for anything but race cars.

If you are still hesitant, wait for the 2015 and the rumored GM 8-speed. It will incorporate newer torque convertor technology and give better gas mileage, but it will not be a DCT. The option will probably cost you $1000+ more than the A6, but it's only money.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:45 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I have a C7 with the A6. I use the paddle to hold gears on country back roads and on hwys sometimes. For straight mash the pedal acceleration like 1/4 mile runs, the A6 does better in D mode.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:05 AM
Down8
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your RS an SS?

I don't think of the 6A in my V6 Camaro as anywhere near comparable to the 6A I just ordered for my Z51, other than the gear count.

-bZj
Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 AM
KX2STINGRAY
1st Gear

Default Sir

Originally Posted by FrancisDGarcia
I have a Z51 Auto. I took it to Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA and had one of the Proformance Racing School instructors drive in around the track. He was pretty impressed with it. Hope this helps.
Just got my Z51, auto, torch red when I saw you mention SIR. Can you give me some info on it..as in when can you use the track, how much is it, and do they have classes on how to drive The Beast (gave my grandson a ride, he names my cars...) I'd appreciate any info
Old 12-27-2013, 01:40 AM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

Originally Posted by KX2STINGRAY
Just got my Z51, auto, torch red when I saw you mention SIR. Can you give me some info on it..as in when can you use the track, how much is it, and do they have classes on how to drive The Beast (gave my grandson a ride, he names my cars...) I'd appreciate any info
Hi KX:
Here is the link to Pacific Raceways: http://pacificraceways.com/Index.aspx
Proformance Racing School: http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/
regularly hold High Performance Driving Sessions on Saturdays through out the Winter season. Their instructors really know their stuff. Talk to Don Kitch, the owner. He is an awesome guy and can give you great advice. They will also be holding a racing class in March 2014. If you take and finish this class, you will earn a Racing Driver's license. It is a two day school and I am attending this.
Hope to see you there.
-Francis
Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 AM
ronvenna
Instructor

Originally Posted by Down8
Is your RS an SS?

I don't think of the 6A in my V6 Camaro as anywhere near comparable to the 6A I just ordered for my Z51, other than the gear count.

-bZj
I have the V6 RS. Its a fun car to drive but those manual shifts in M mode are painfully slow. I just hope the C7 shifts are much faster.

Get notified of new replies

To Ordered an Automatic. Having second thoughts...

Old 12-27-2013, 02:12 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
I have an A6. I love it. I use it manual mode when I'm in traffic. No problems at all. Good luck with your decision.
Same here. It's a big improvement over the A6 in our 06 Z51.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Drive one and decide. I have an A6 in my Z51 and it works great - it shifts as fast as I can pull the paddles, and faster than I could manage with the stick.

If you waiting for a DCT, you will waste a lot of time. You will not see one in a C7. In addition, the torque convertor auto transmission is undergoing a revival. The next generation of torque convertors autos like the ZF 8-speed and others will likely put the DCT back on the shelf for anything but race cars.

If you are still hesitant, wait for the 2015 and the rumored GM 8-speed. It will incorporate newer torque convertor technology and give better gas mileage, but it will not be a DCT. The option will probably cost you $1000+ more than the A6, but it's only money.
I agree. Each iteration of the A6 has been an improvement over the A6 that came out in 2006 ( had an 06 C6/A6 that was a POS. My 2012 CTS-V A6 is a HUGE improvement over the 06, and an improvement over your 2010 Camaro with staged faster upshifts). The C7 has yet again another improvement over my 2012 CTS-V. It might be enough to keep you happy until the A8 comes out. The safe bet is go to with the Porsche PDK or wait till 2015 for the expected A8. You are the exact customer that GM must address with a modern instant shifting auto tranny as people ARE cross shopping Porsche PDK and BMW DCT versus the C7 with a holdover, albeit much improved, slushbox that is not in the league of the PDK/DCT.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
You are the exact customer that GM must address with a modern instant shifting auto tranny as people ARE cross shopping Porsche PDK and BMW DCT versus the C7 with a holdover, albeit much improved, slushbox that is not in the league of the PDK/DCT.
I bought a 7MT but would have bought a DCT if GM offered it. If they put a true DCT in the Z06, I will upgrade. I don't expect they will.

Quick Reply: Ordered an Automatic. Having second thoughts...