Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery - paint QC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 PM
xtaski
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Museum Delivery - paint QC?

I've seen probably 10 different C7s at local dealers. More than half had very noticable orange peel. At least two were terrible to the point I was shocked anyone ever let them pass QC inspection.

I plan to order soon after the Z06 reveal. My question is will doing Museum Delivery add additional paint quality control? Do they inspect the paint and have it fixed if there's bad orange peel? For me it might be worth the extra $1k to get a guaranteed good paint job.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

nope, $1K has nothing to do with build quality....you take it or refuse it as it sits in the museum..but paint problems seems to be getting a lot better now...
Old 12-28-2013, 08:36 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Took my car into the dealer for a number of issues including orange peel on the lower portion of my panels and they had a GM engineer out there. His response was....

"Paint is heavier by design on lower panels"

Yes, he REALLY said that... I have it on my RO.

So obviously it's part of the design.... LMAO
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM
cmsmolka
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint QC

There is so much mis info that gets passed. If David finds anything wrong with your car it gets sent back across the street. He found a scratch in the rear deck on my car and sent it back to be replaced. He said he could have buffed it out but just wanted us to have a perfect vehicle.

The museum delivery is worth every penny for the care each person puts into your satisfaction in the delivery of your car.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 AM
xtaski
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's an interesting point though a scratch may be obvious than orange peel...

Runutzzz that's an insanely incompetent response! Should have recorded it...

I am curious if anyone who did Museum Delivery had issues with orange peel?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 AM
billbunton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got very minor orange peel on mine, certainly not enough to bother me. I do have the missing paint right below the center stop light, overspray under the hatch, very thin paint under the hood and on the front fender, and a rather large paint drip under the top of the passenger side rear window. All missed by both me and museum.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cmsmolka
There is so much mis info that gets passed. If David finds anything wrong with your car it gets sent back across the street. He found a scratch in the rear deck on my car and sent it back to be replaced. He said he could have buffed it out but just wanted us to have a perfect vehicle.

The museum delivery is worth every penny for the care each person puts into your satisfaction in the delivery of your car.
not orange peel...it's normal, acc to GM, no matter what "David" thinks...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:59 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by xtaski
That's an interesting point though a scratch may be obvious than orange peel...

Runutzzz that's an insanely incompetent response! Should have recorded it...

I am curious if anyone who did Museum Delivery had issues with orange peel?
ok junior..........lol
Old 12-29-2013, 01:54 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,071 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

For 1k you could have a good body shop remove all the orange peel.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:42 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Just when I think I'm ready to order my C7, I read threads like this one. To me, visible orange peel is simply unacceptable on this price vehicle. I ordered a 2007 Monterey Red vette that came thru w/ extensive orange peel on the door panels. Since I had been looking forward to its delivery for weeks, I got caught up in the "new car syndrome" and accepted it....never should have and always regretted it. The net result was that I ended up getting rid of the car much earlier than planned. How come I see so many other comparably priced cars (Lexus, Infiniti, MB, etc.)without it???
Old 12-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by beepster
Just when I think I'm ready to order my C7, I read threads like this one. To me, visible orange peel is simply unacceptable on this price vehicle. I ordered a 2007 Monterey Red vette that came thru w/ extensive orange peel on the door panels. Since I had been looking forward to its delivery for weeks, I got caught up in the "new car syndrome" and accepted it....never should have and always regretted it. The net result was that I ended up getting rid of the car much earlier than planned. How come I see so many other comparably priced cars (Lexus, Infiniti, MB, etc.)without it???
don't take the forums as gospel all the time...recent deliveries are showing paint equal to the brands you named...I would not worry, my point is the museum does a good detail, but the quality at the museum is no better than what goes on the trucks...Foe what it's worth, I saw a '14 MB S class the other day that had OP worse than what's on my vette...

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery - paint QC?

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery - paint QC?