Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 AM
JJoeG
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Tire Pressure

Z51 folks, what tire pressure are you running on the street? Mine came delivered running 34 psi all around. The manual and the door sticker calls for 30 psi cold. I set mine at 30 cold; it rides better but my TPMS is in alarm for both rear tires. That sure doesn't make sense, especially when the manual recommends dropping the pressure to 26 for track use.
Anyone else seeing this happen?

Joe
Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Two things come to mind. Are you using a good tire pressure gauge and have you driven the car for several miles to see if the pressure warning goes away with the 30 PSI setting?
Congrats on the Stingray.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I use a good gauge and set mine at 30 but it was 30 degrees. No warnings yet. That is with 4 outings in the car due to weather.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 AM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suspect that at 26 during track use that the pressure and temperature will rise quickly. It was not unusual for me to see pressures rise from 32 to mid 46 during a 30 minute session. Keep in mind that you will lose approximately 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in ambient temperature.

Ken
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM
JJoeG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shortimer
Two things come to mind. Are you using a good tire pressure gauge and have you driven the car for several miles to see if the pressure warning goes away with the 30 PSI setting?
Congrats on the Stingray.
I use a good gauge. The monitor pressure readout matches the gauge readings. Driven 100 miles or so. Front tires readings are also at 30 and OK. Wondering what sets the low pressure alarm. The TPMS reading is correct so something in the car's computer settings is stating they have low pressure?
Wonder what other systems that affects?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
RichmondC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mine set at 30psi cold and the instrument panel shows the same. There is no low tire warning. By the time I have driven 10 highway miles the tire pressures are up by 3-4 lbs.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 928 Likes on 486 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RichmondC7
I have mine set at 30psi cold and the instrument panel shows the same. There is no low tire warning. By the time I have driven 10 highway miles the tire pressures are up by 3-4 lbs.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM
JJoeG
Instructor

Thanks. That's what I would expect too. Looks like dealer time…..bummer.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTEN
I would suspect that at 26 during track use that the pressure and temperature will rise quickly. It was not unusual for me to see pressures rise from 32 to mid 46 during a 30 minute session. Keep in mind that you will lose approximately 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in ambient temperature.

Ken
Ken,
I am taking my C7 to its first autocross in two weeks. I am surprised at the 27 psi recommendation (which, by the way seems to be only for the Z51 per Sec 9-5 of the manual). I get it for track events, but have my doubts about brief autocross runs. I am new at this. Your thoughts?

Dave
Old 01-09-2014, 01:32 PM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Not sure about the C7 yet as I'm still waiting on my order, but I have another vehicle that will give a low pressure warning when it sees a certain % drop in PSI. The way to reset it on that vehicle is drop the PSI below the desires pressure by several PSI and then inflate the tire to the desired PSI. (ie, take it down to 20PSI then inflate it to 30PSI)

It may not work this way on the C7 but if it saves a trip to the dealer it may be worth trying.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Drive the car at least 10 miles and see if the TPMS resets. I keep my tires at 30PSI without any low tire indication.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM
JJoeG
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgood
Not sure about the C7 yet as I'm still waiting on my order, but I have another vehicle that will give a low pressure warning when it sees a certain % drop in PSI. The way to reset it on that vehicle is drop the PSI below the desires pressure by several PSI and then inflate the tire to the desired PSI. (ie, take it down to 20PSI then inflate it to 30PSI)

It may not work this way on the C7 but if it saves a trip to the dealer it may be worth trying.
Thanks. I tried it; didn't work but it was worth the shot. I raised the pressure to 35 for the rear to try and clear the warnings. Left rear cleared; right rear still says low. When it is in alarm you can't access anything on the displays until you dismiss it. Irritating….
Then it comes right back on again.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM
JJoeG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Drive the car at least 10 miles and see if the TPMS resets. I keep my tires at 30PSI without any low tire indication.
Been this way for 100 miles; won't reset…...
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JJoeG
Been this way for 100 miles; won't reset…...
Definitely a trip to the dealer. Sounds like at least one sensor, or possibly the whole system, has a problem. If the car says 30psi and still gives you a warning, I'd suspect the system. On my C5 and C6s, you have to get below 25psi to get a warning. Haven't seen the warning on the C7 yet.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I don't know about on the C7, but on a C6 Z06 it was discovered that running it without the TPMS caused drivability issues like being unable to turn off active handling and maybe even a loss of power, presumably to keep you from trying to drive 100 mph on a flat tire.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM
JJoeG
Instructor

Dealer appointment for Monday.
So I just received the monthly on star maintenance report and it says my air pressure needs immediate attention. Get this: It shows my air pressure correctly (as expected) but states recommended pressures at 36 front, 41 rear! That would sure clear the alarm but take all sidewall give out of it. Way too much pressure for these tires.
Anyone else received an on star report that says that?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM
GazUK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my Z51 for 4 months, then yesterday my TPMS warning light came on, show's all 4 tire pressures in order, lowest was 28 highest was 30.

What did the dealer say/do about your car's TPMS issue?

Originally Posted by JJoeG
Dealer appointment for Monday.
So I just received the monthly on star maintenance report and it says my air pressure needs immediate attention. Get this: It shows my air pressure correctly (as expected) but states recommended pressures at 36 front, 41 rear! That would sure clear the alarm but take all sidewall give out of it. Way too much pressure for these tires.
Anyone else received an on star report that says that?

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure

Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

First, get a trusted gauge and compare the readings to the TPMS readings. You will know the actual pressure and can adjust accordingly.

Second, check to make sure there isn't a TPMS reset function in the menus to set current pressure to the baseline (lots of cars have this now).

Third, I fully intend to run 35psi all the way around to start and then recheck after a drive to ensure a 10% increase in pressure in front and 20% increase in back. I can adjust my pressure down if it doesn't make it and up if it goes over.

You set cold psi to achieve an expected hot psi except that it is easier to recommend a cold psi in a book because 99% of people aren't going to be troubled with measuring and adjusting hot psi. When you drive your tires are hot, not cold. Who cares what the cold temps are as long as they get to the right hot temp (in a reasonable amount of time).

Hot temps are going to vary based on drive time, road surface, ambient temps, street vs track, etc. Use your car how you normally use it (whether it is going to starbucks or hitting the canyon roads or Road Atlanta) and check your pressures and adjust hot.

Anywhere from 30 to 40 will "work fine" for street use. Higher pressure will give a touch better mileage, faster turn in, etc, lower pressure will give a touch better ride comfort, slightly faster operating temps, etc. Street driving hardly pushes pressure requirements.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 AM
RichmondC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Set my baseline "cold" - for Texas - PSI at 27 all around. Never get warnings. When it's above 60 degrees the tires warm up to 32 psi in 10 miles.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you folks have a valid reason beyond your own opinion for deviating from 30psi cold? For instance, when I switched to Michelins on my C5, I found that the rears had excessive wear in the center of the tread at 30psi, so I lowered it to 28. Kept the fronts at 30 because they were wearing evenly.

I figure if the Corvette engineers specify 30psi cold, they intend for the car to be at 33-35 psi hot. Why do you think differently?

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure