My Fichtner Chevrolet Stingray Purchase and CA DMV Registration

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:53 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Default My Fichtner Chevrolet Stingray Purchase and CA DMV Registration

This is the third of my 2014 Corvette Stingray acquisition reports. I have covered the NCM delivery and trip; and provided a 3000 mile review of the car in other threads. This one is to detail the out of state purchase and CA registration process for anyone contemplating the same.

This is my second purchase from Ken at Fichtner Chevrolet. Ken is always responsive, great to deal with, and I believe capable of making things happen many other dealers cannot. He seems to have a close relationship with the Chevrolet folks coordinating the orders and passes everything he can onto the customer. I first contacted Ken in May 2013 and reserved one of his allocations. I wanted the Competition seats so Ken was not able to enter my order until August when AE4 became available in the GM OrderWORKBENCH system. I was at event code 1100 on 8/8/13. Without getting into all of the detail the next two months were very unpredictable. My order went from likely production in spring 2014 to possible production in November 2013, to Ken might run out of allocations before the Z51, AE4, and carbon constraints were lifted. While waiting I also had a chance to go to Spring Mountain and see all of the color combinations. My original order was 2LT Laguna Blue with Jet Black/Medium Gray interior. Once I saw how light the gray was (and that the carpet was also gray) and how rich the Brownstone looked, I changed my order to 3LT Brownstone on 10/1/2013. Then the constraints got really bad and I began to think I would be waiting until spring after all. On 10/24/13 I got an early morning email that Ken could order my car with everything I wanted except the dual roof. I don’t know how Ken did it, but in the middle of all the worst constraints he got my order to Code 2000 with Z51, AE4, C2Z, and FAY. Production was 12/5/13 and museum delivery on 12/18/13.
Ken kept me informed of the situation throughout the process. His finance manager Dennis got me financing through Well Fargo with a loan rate 1% lower than the best my credit union could do. He also got me a GMPP plan for less than half what the California dealers are charging. Bob in their parts department got me the splash guards so I could install them in BG for the trip home. All transaction paperwork was sent to me timely and all costs were as agreed to in advance. I am completely satisfied with Fichtner, would use them again, and I recommend them to anyone contemplating an out-of-state Corvette purchase.

Here is the final order detail:
Model: 1YX07 – Corvette Stingray Coupe with Z51
Vehicle Specifications
PEG: 3LT - Package: 3LT
Trim: 556 - Trim, Suede, Jet Black / Brownstone
Primary Color: G7H - Laguna Blue Tint
Engine: LT1 - Engine Gas, 8 Cyl, 6.2L, DI, AFM, VVT, HO, Alum, GMNA
Transmission: MEL - Trans, 7-Speed Manual with Z51
Ordered Options:
AE4: Seat, Competition Sport Bucket
DD0: Mirrors, O/S heated, power, LH auto dimming
FE4: Magnetic Selective Ride Control
J6F: Caliper: Red
NPP: Exhaust: Dual Mode, Performance
R8C: Corvette Museum Delivery
UY4: Navigation System
Z51: Z51 Performance Package
C2Z: Roof Panel, Visible Carbon Fiber Removable Roof Panels
FAY: Trim Interior, Carbon Fiber
IWE: Suede-Wrapped Upper Interior Trim Package
NC7: Override: Federal Emission
Q7T: Wheels, Black Aluminum 19" FRT 20" RR
TTV: Spoiler, Rear and ORV Mirror, Carbon Flash Painted
YF5: Emission: California

Now for the R8C and CA specific logistics:
Once the car has a VIN, Ken registers it with a temporary 30 day registration in Montana. This works well since Montana has no sales or use tax and allows the temp registration without titling for the car. Fichtner then sends the temp paper Montana plate to the customer so they can pick the car up in BG. I paid Fichtner the balance due via wire transfer, but could have done it by check if desired. Ken sent me the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin so I could title the car in CA.
I purchased the GMPP with the car as required by CA law. CA will not let you purchase an extended warranty/protection plan outside of California after the original purchase.
I also added the new Corvette to my insurance so I would have proof of insurance for the lender and DMV, as well as coverage from the time I took delivery.
Once back in CA you have 20 days from the date the car enters the state to pay the tax and registration. While there is no logical reason for it, the CA Motor Vehicle Code requires a Smog Check and verification inspection to title and register a car previously registered out of state. Note, this car was ordered with YF5: Emission: California. If I had ordered the same car from a dealer in CA and picked it up R8C these extra steps would ne be necessary. I would love to complain about it some more, but that does no good so I just tried to make it as efficient as possible. Here are the steps:
  1. I took the car to a local “test only” Smog Check station and got the CA Smog Certificate
  2. I downloaded and filled out form REG 343 from the dmv.ca.gov website and filled it out
  3. I made an appointment with the CA DMV. (Check around to see which office has the earliest appointment date, this should get you the lowest wait time)
  4. On the day/time of the appointment I went to the Fullerton DMV, got the verification inspection, paid the tax, title, and registration fees, and walked out with a validated registration card and new license plates. Total time at the DMV was less than 45 minutes.
The DMV staff was surprisingly pleasant and helpful. In fact the guy doing the inspection was thrilled to see a C7 up closed and had lots of car-guy type questions about it. Yes, the C7 is a rockstar, even at the DMV. This is one agency that has really turned around in the last 10 years.

Overall everything went much smoother than the first time I did this in 2008. The pre-work I did of getting the smog cert and filling out the form in advance made it easy. No one should be afraid of this process if you follow these steps.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

The process you went through in CA is not new and yes its very irritating to have to get a smog and vin (emission sticker) check on a brand new car. Having been a resident of CA for 58 years, all of my corvettes except 1 has been bought out of state and this is the process you have to go through. Had you bought it in a state that does have sales tax, you would simply pay that state their tax and any remaining tax to Ca. For instance, I bought my 09 GT1 Z06 in Ohio and their tax was 5.75 as I recall. When I got home, got my smog check and vin inspection (actually they are more interested in the emission sticker) and then I paid Ca 2% tax because Ca sales tax was 7.75%.

Now tired of Ca and all their idiotic rules and regs, fees, I am now a resident of Az and love it!

An example of Ca's stupid Air Resources Board rule about the emissions sticker is it must either say 50 state or specifically say CA approved. What they don't realize or care is that since 1996, all cars made for the USA are 50 state approved. In other words the emissions equipment made for a corvette sold in Florida for example are identical to the emissions equipment for a car sold in california. The only difference is the verbiage on the sticker. Ca approved is what they are looking for. In my research, it appears to be more of a penalty for purchasing out of california then an actual emissions concern.

In any event, glad I am out of there. Enjoy your new corvette, great cars for sure!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for posting this info. I am waiting for my C7 to arrive from Kerbeck. One thing I am wondering is how the Ca. DMV will deal with the fact that I paid my tax and license through Kerbeck out of NJ. Hopefully that doesn't cause an issue when I go to get the registration taken care of. I certainly don't want them to require me to pay the tax and license again. This will be my first time purchasing a vehicle out of state so it's a big unknown to me although I was prepared to get the smog before my DMV appointment and was well aware of the required inspection.

One thing you said which has be curious is purchasing the warranty out of state. When I had my Z06, I was quoted GMPP warranties by out of state dealers. How does the DMV know let alone care where you purchased your warranty from? Especially if it's after the fact. I would think this would be something that only GM would care about and would be 100% transparent to the DMV. Any info on this would be appreciated as my plan was to purchase the extended warranty a couple years from now.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by bearphoto
The process you went through in CA is not new and yes its very irritating to have to get a smog and vin (emission sticker) check on a brand new car. Having been a resident of CA for 58 years, all of my corvettes except 1 has been bought out of state and this is the process you have to go through. Had you bought it in a state that does have sales tax, you would simply pay that state their tax and any remaining tax to Ca. For instance, I bought my 09 GT1 Z06 in Ohio and their tax was 5.75 as I recall. When I got home, got my smog check and vin inspection (actually they are more interested in the emission sticker) and then I paid Ca 2% tax because Ca sales tax was 7.75%.

Now tired of Ca and all their idiotic rules and regs, fees, I am now a resident of Az and love it!

An example of Ca's stupid Air Resources Board rule about the emissions sticker is it must either say 50 state or specifically say CA approved. What they don't realize or care is that since 1996, all cars made for the USA are 50 state approved. In other words the emissions equipment made for a corvette sold in Florida for example are identical to the emissions equipment for a car sold in california. The only difference is the verbiage on the sticker. Ca approved is what they are looking for. In my research, it appears to be more of a penalty for purchasing out of california then an actual emissions concern.

In any event, glad I am out of there. Enjoy your new corvette, great cars for sure!
The problem with CARB is quite simple, actually. Since they existed before the EPA went into full effect, the feds let CA keep CARB in place (grandfathered it in, essentially). Because of that, and the fact that they're not technically a government body (essentially unregulated), they get away with all kinds of stupid stuff in the claim of "saving the environment", which so much of CA's populace eats up with a shovel.

Anyways, sorry for the slight thread hijack, congrats on your Stingray, can't wait to get mine in May!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
Thanks for posting this info. I am waiting for my C7 to arrive from Kerbeck. One thing I am wondering is how the Ca. DMV will deal with the fact that I paid my tax and license through Kerbeck out of NJ. Hopefully that doesn't cause an issue when I go to get the registration taken care of. I certainly don't want them to require me to pay the tax and license again. This will be my first time purchasing a vehicle out of state so it's a big unknown to me although I was prepared to get the smog before my DMV appointment and was well aware of the required inspection.

One thing you said which has be curious is purchasing the warranty out of state. When I had my Z06, I was quoted GMPP warranties by out of state dealers. How does the DMV know let alone care where you purchased your warranty from? Especially if it's after the fact. I would think this would be something that only GM would care about and would be 100% transparent to the DMV. Any info on this would be appreciated as my plan was to purchase the extended warranty a couple years from now.
I lived in California (Bay Area) for 25 years. I love California. Here is an area of discussion and possibly the only area where I will say that Nebraska (where I am now) is much easier. No smog, one rear plate. However, the fees are still high.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If you were required to pay NJ sales tax and its less than the Ca rate, you will pay the balance to Ca which as I recall is 8%. If NJ was not charging you any NJ sales tax and the tax you paid was for Ca then I assume NJ will forward your sales tax payment to Ca and you should be fine. You can get a vin verification from DMV but if you are an AAA member its much easier and faster to get it from them. Get your smog certificate and make an appt for dmv!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:16 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto

Not entirely correct verbiage. While the C7 has a 50 state emissions like just every other car these days, you must still specify which state it will reside in. In other words, if you bought it in NJ, you have to specify that's the emissions you want. CA on the other hand, has the dreaded CARB board and as a side note, special mixture of gasoline that only Hawaii and CA use that the rest of the country doesn't. This doesn't mean anything to anyone of course, but CA is not like any of the other states. It has the strictest of emissions along with Hawaii then anywhere else. What is not known by me or in fact anyone else for that matter is, why bother to specify which state it will be shipped to for the final destination (not talking about the sticker on the window here), but the fact that since the C7 only has one engine on the base & Z51 what difference does it matter why you have to order it specific to the state you reside in on the emissions part of it?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:58 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
...One thing you said which has be curious is purchasing the warranty out of state. When I had my Z06, I was quoted GMPP warranties by out of state dealers. How does the DMV know let alone care where you purchased your warranty from? Especially if it's after the fact. I would think this would be something that only GM would care about and would be 100% transparent to the DMV. Any info on this would be appreciated as my plan was to purchase the extended warranty a couple years from now.
The warranties/protection plans are actually considered insurance. They are not regulated by the DMV at all, but rather by the insurance commission. I don't know the details, but Dennis Fichtner has posted many times on CF that he can no longer sell a GMPP to a CA resident after the initial vehicle purchase. I thing the change came out of a new law passed in 2010.

CA Department of Insurance link

EDIT:
I just read some of Dennis' posts and it seems the restrictions may come from GMPP as well. In any event the rules have recently changed so don't plan on buying GMPP after you buy the car unless you verify all of the details.

Last edited by adamsocb; 01-12-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

[QUOTE=slief;1585899727]Thanks for posting this info. I am waiting for my C7 to arrive from Kerbeck. One thing I am wondering is how the Ca. DMV will deal with the fact that I paid my tax and license through Kerbeck out of NJ. Hopefully that doesn't cause an issue when I go to get the registration taken care of. I certainly don't want them to require me to pay the tax and license again. This will be my first time purchasing a vehicle out of state so it's a big unknown to me although I was prepared to get the smog before my DMV appointment and was well aware of the required inspection.

Kerbeck uses a Calif. vehicle registration outfit. You will receive your C7 from Kerbeck with a 20 day temporary NJ paper plate. If you paid Kerbeck the Calif. sales tax regarding your county ( I know I had to), then, in a week to 10 days you will receive a packet from the Calif, registration assist. outfit, with a receipt for your sales taxes paid, and, a 2 month temporary Calif. registration. All you do then is: 1) get your new C7 smogged, 2) drive up to the DMV Vin Verifaction lane at your local DMV office( you do not have to go inside..they come out to you); 3) send the original smog cert., and, the original DMV Vin Verification form to the local outfit Kerbeck has arranged for you, and, your plates, tags, and, permanent Calif. Registration will show up in less than 1 week. Hope this of some help, having just gone through this process 5 weeks ago.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:46 AM
Vernon C. Williams
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California DMV

The California DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) has a point system concerning drivers' licenses. If you get :- 4 points in one year, 6 points in two years, or 8 points in three years then the California DMV will want to suspend your license for 6 months for being a negligent operator, a driver with too many points.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Gosh, I'm a CA resident and my two out-of-state Vette purchases were nothing like this. They were, in fact, simplicity itself. Ordered from MacMulkin (NH). Paid MacMulkin for vehicle and GMPP only. No taxes or fees. Vehicle delivered to my local CA Chevy dealer, which registered the vehicle in CA for me. I paid CA sales tax, DMV fees, and courtesy delivery fee at my local dealer and drove off. Three weeks later, my CA plates arrived in my mailbox. End of story. No smog or DMV hassles whatsoever. Why make this complicated?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof
Gosh, I'm a CA resident and my two out-of-state Vette purchases were nothing like this. They were, in fact, simplicity itself. Ordered from MacMulkin (NH). Paid MacMulkin for vehicle and GMPP only. No taxes or fees. Vehicle delivered to my local CA Chevy dealer, which registered the vehicle in CA for me. I paid CA sales tax, DMV fees, and courtesy delivery fee at my local dealer and drove off. Three weeks later, my CA plates arrived in my mailbox. End of story. No smog or DMV hassles whatsoever. Why make this complicated?
It is simple. You did what is called Courtesy Delivery. The OP chose to do Museum Delivery and had to do all of the paper work with the DMV himself because the Museum did the delivery but can't do the state of residence paperwork for you. No big deal to do this yourself if your desire is to do the Museum Delivery. I have done both Museum Delivery in BG and Courtesy deliveries in Houston several times so no big deal either way.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:18 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
It is simple. You did what is called Courtesy Delivery. The OP chose to do Museum Delivery and had to do all of the paper work with the DMV himself because the Museum did the delivery but can't do the state of residence paperwork for you. No big deal to do this yourself if your desire is to do the Museum Delivery. I have done both Museum Delivery in BG and Courtesy deliveries in Houston several times so no big deal either way.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:08 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof
Same thing with me when I bought mine from MacMulkin and delivered to a courtesy dealer in CA

Get notified of new replies

To My Fichtner Chevrolet Stingray Purchase and CA DMV Registration

Quick Reply: My Fichtner Chevrolet Stingray Purchase and CA DMV Registration