GM Sweeps Awards; Corvette Orders Sold Out

Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 AM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GM Sweeps Awards; Corvette Orders Sold Out

Business
Sweep Gives Auto Maker Marketing Boost as it Pushes Chevrolet Brand Around World
By
Jeff Bennett
Jan. 13, 2014 9:20 a.m. ET

General Motors Co. 's sweep at the North America car and truck of the year awards will likely give the auto maker a marketing boost as it pushes its plan to build the Chevrolet brand around the world.

The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and the Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck took the coveted wins announced Monday at the opening of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The last year GM notched a two-vehicle sweep was in 2007.

"I have been on record that we have acknowledged Chevrolet's brand health is now where it needs to be," Chevrolet global chief Alan Batey said shortly after the awards were announced. "This, however, externally reinforces to the public that Chevrolet, as well as Cadillac and Buick, are on the move. It really is a great way to start the year."

Currently, every Corvette now in production has been sold, Mr. Batey said.

GM is looking for some momentum as it heads into 2014 a relatively clean company, free from government ownership and with a new chief executive at the helm. Mary Barra steps into her new role Wednesday, becoming the first female to head a global auto maker.

"I am proud of the global product development team," Ms. Barra said. "It is so significant to win...as we launch the new Chevrolet Silverado and Corvette. I hope people who haven't considered General Motors and Chevrolet get into the showroom. I am confident as they get into the showroom they will like what they see."

Write to Jeff Bennett at jeff.bennett@wsj.com
Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by C6Warrior
Of course ever car is sold. That is misleading however. every single Car GM produces is Always sold. That does not mean it's been sold to a consumer however. sold means sold to a dealer for inventory. Even ordered cars are not " sold " until the final paperwork is signed and money exchanged.
My local dealers (2) have 8 C7's for sale.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
locoracer83
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I defer to industry experts for proper definitions, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that manufacturers do produce vehicles that were/are not "pre-ordered" by either a dealer or a retail customer. Manufacturers do maintain days of inventory for a variety of reasons, both for product reasons and production efficiencies/costs. They get skittish when such levels rise, but I think most do it. If you really want to get hyper technical, the dealer's floor-plan lender owns their stock until they sell the car. So, unless someone paid cash, every C7 out there is bank collateral until the MSO or title changes hands.

Short story, if he says all are sold he is saying everything on the line is leaving BG with an intended home before it ever comes off the line. That does not happen often and speaks volumes about the desirability of the 2014 Stingray.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

[QUOTE=sotirisf;1585905351]Business
Sweep Gives Auto Maker Marketing Boost as it Pushes Chevrolet Brand Around World
By
Jeff Bennett
Jan. 13, 2014 9:20 a.m. ET

General Motors Co. 's sweep at the North America car and truck of the year awards will likely give the auto maker a marketing boost as it pushes its plan to build the Chevrolet brand around the world.

The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and the Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck took the coveted wins announced Monday at the opening of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The last year GM notched a two-vehicle sweep was in 2007.

"I have been on record that we have acknowledged Chevrolet's brand health is now where it needs to be," Chevrolet global chief Alan Batey said shortly after the awards were announced. "This, however, externally reinforces to the public that Chevrolet, as well as Cadillac and Buick, are on the move. It really is a great way to start the year."

Currently, every Corvette now in production has been sold, Mr. Batey said.
QUOTE]

I think there is a lot of wiggle room with that statement. It could mean everything on the production line today. With several months of production to go there could be many unsold vettes by the end of the production year.
When a salesman opens his mouth, consider every word carefully.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GM is sold out on C7's? I didn't know they were doing a limited number of Corvettes this time around.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Warrior
The only cars that are not sold to dealers are Zone cars. They are ordered through the GM zone office for executive use as Company cars they remain GM property and stay on MSOs until sold at the GM auction back to dealer inventory. Everything else is invoiced to a dealer or leasing Company.
Really?....Ever fly in and outa DTW? Ever see those fields of Chrysler products sitting there? Think those are rentals waiting to go in the fleets? Guess again...Surplus production. This has been covered 1000 times in this forum. More times than not (far more in the past) it was less expensive to keep the lines producing and build excess then shut them down.
He is 100% correct in saying every unit is "sold"..Every one is a dealer (inventory or stock) created order. It is a bit of a marketing stretch but it got everyones attention.
Btw..If they were in fact all sold, then why does Kerbeck have 50 units on the ground?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by asphaltrecycler
If they were in fact all sold, then why does Kerbeck have 50 units on the ground?
amen...
Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by asphaltrecycler
Really?....Ever fly in and outa DTW? Ever see those fields of Chrysler products sitting there? Think those are rentals waiting to go in the fleets? Guess again...Surplus production. This has been covered 1000 times in this forum. More times than not (far more in the past) it was less expensive to keep the lines producing and build excess then shut them down.
He is 100% correct in saying every unit is "sold"..Every one is a dealer (inventory or stock) created order. It is a bit of a marketing stretch but it got everyones attention.
Btw..If they were in fact all sold, then why does Kerbeck have 50 units on the ground?
It says right there that all cars are sold to dealers. That doesn't mean that dealers have them sold yet. In the past if the assembly line has to make X amount of cars and they are not taken then they need to move them.

This statement simply means that dealers are not turning away orders.

Dave
Old 01-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Look at the Competition it went against, pretty stupid Awards.

The C7 deserves it regardless, but the GM Truck has not won a comparison yet against the Ram and I would even put the dated Ford ahead of it. They failed on the New GM Truck IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Sweeps Awards; Corvette Orders Sold Out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Sweeps Awards; Corvette Orders Sold Out