C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z06 - how many street car buyers can handle that much car?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
In New England where I live there are many fun back roads, go down to Texas (At least all the areas I have been) and I do not think I would have fun driving anything.

We have plenty of fun. Do some research on the Hill Country, West of Austin.

Sounds like you were in Houston or Dallas during rush hour.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Snorman
.... That's a buddy of mine who has been tracking for many years in a prepped Miata. ... That's why I'll never have a low-powered track car, despite the handling impression they may give. On the tracks where I run, they're like rolling pylons.
S.
S. The Miata in this video reminds me of the Peter, Paul and Marysong "Take Me For a Ride in Your Car - Car". In that ditty, an A-H Sprite is racing at Sebring, gasping along, and has to be wound up to continue down the long straight.

I agree on a larger track, smaller cars like the Miata can't compare.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:22 PM
jerho
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Horse power is like sex to much of it is just about enough.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:56 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the key word is drive smooth.. inputs smooth.. inputs slow.. stay in each gear, see where the power breaks the traction of the wheels( in a srtraight line) get training, know car control and weight transfer.. listen to the car.. dont drive it like a four cylinder. dont punch the throttle.. squeeze it smoothly.. if you do that on the street with high hp you should be fine and safe.

go to the track and get training.. seat time.. you will enjoy a car like the Z06 a whole lot more than if you dont...in fact then you will learn how to drive any car fast.. and you wont need to have all that HP to be faster than higher HP cars with untrained drivers behind the wheel

you will make them look like fools with your low hp stock toyota daily driver... and they will think you did something to it when it is just a stock motor, suspension etc..
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

There will never be "enough" horsepower for some people. For myself, enough is when the car becomes unpredictable at the racetrack due to the throttle being too hard to manage without e-nannies intervening constantly. It's all dependent on the car to be honest. If the Z06 can manage putting down it's power in a manner that is predictable and smooth I am sure it will be fine. Quarter mile times are nice and all but I've driven some seriously fast 1/4 cars that were nightmares on the street, and i have driven some sublime track cars that posted rather disappointing 1/4 times. Two entirely different mindsets and setups are required for either. HP/TQ has a limit for tracking a car, while for 1/4 mile bragging rights the sky is the limit.

As for what people need for driving on the street...it's totally preference here. But i do think that they need to make it mandatory that every car should be able to hit 60mph in less than 7 seconds. Either that or make a second lane for every freeway on ramp for those underpowered eco boxes, so they don't get in the way of everyone else. Nothing gets my roadrage built up more than getting stuck behind a Prius or some other ugly POS hybrid that can't get out of it's own way trying to merge with 75 mph traffic at 50 mph....
Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 AM
orlanderlv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my Z51 isn't enough for me. Not nearly enough acceleration when I want it. It needs a supercharger or I just need to splurge and get the Z06.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting to see the new Z06 pricing is before deciding.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 AM
Sunny_M3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will admit and say that I can't, which is why I went with the standard C7 w/ Z51
Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM
gkwpnut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Traction control off -check-
Active handling off -check-

"here, hold my beer and watch this"...............
There are no boxes to check OFF on the GT. It is good C7 roommate but like the C7 or the new Z06 you have to respect the power and be smart especially on the street
Attached Images     

Last edited by gkwpnut; 03-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mark b
the key word is drive smooth.. inputs smooth.. inputs slow.. .. if you do that on the street with high hp you should be fine and safe.

go to the track and get training.. seat time.. you will enjoy a car like the Z06 a whole lot more than if you dont...in fact then you will learn how to drive any car fast.. and you wont need to have all that HP to be faster than higher HP cars with untrained drivers behind the wheel

you will make them look like fools with your low hp stock Toyota daily driver... and they will think you did something to it when it is just a stock motor, suspension etc..
Well stated. Learn how to drive a car smooth, learn its traits, learn basics of driving any car at its limits, and you will safely enjoy your car on the street.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

To the OP's thread starting question, "I can"
Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
625 / 635 - those are insane numbers. "Outside" of people who are going to track them - how many street drivers can control a vehicle with that much HP and torque?
I think you would be surprised! IMO lots..
Actually.. most of the people that will purchase this vehicle are SPEED freaks myself being one of them! Key word MOST not all. Some will buy just to have or can. But for most Corvette owners over the years the introduction of the more HP has been an evolution of the car for us!
Basically we always want more HP. I will be trading my C7 Z51 in.. as soon as I can get my hands on a new C7 Zo7 and I'm sure after a couple months I will look to bolt on and/or tune that as well! Its an addicting expensive hobby!! LOL
Old 03-06-2014, 12:21 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkwpnut
There are no boxes to check OFF on the GT. It is good C7 roommate but like the C7 or the new Z06 you have to respect the power and be smart especially on the street

Your cars are beautiful!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Originally Posted by Supermassive
There will never be "enough" horsepower for some people. For myself, enough is when the car becomes unpredictable at the racetrack due to the throttle being too hard to manage without e-nannies intervening constantly. It's all dependent on the car to be honest. If the Z06 can manage putting down it's power in a manner that is predictable and smooth I am sure it will be fine. Quarter mile times are nice and all but I've driven some seriously fast 1/4 cars that were nightmares on the street, and i have driven some sublime track cars that posted rather disappointing 1/4 times. Two entirely different mindsets and setups are required for either. HP/TQ has a limit for tracking a car, while for 1/4 mile bragging rights the sky is the limit.

As for what people need for driving on the street...it's totally preference here. But i do think that they need to make it mandatory that every car should be able to hit 60mph in less than 7 seconds. Either that or make a second lane for every freeway on ramp for those underpowered eco boxes, so they don't get in the way of everyone else. Nothing gets my roadrage built up more than getting stuck behind a Prius or some other ugly POS hybrid that can't get out of it's own way trying to merge with 75 mph traffic at 50 mph....
Hey.. Not nice! I love my Prius!! Its my second one.. That is my DD. I put about 3000 miles a month on her . I average 45 MPG and Im usually driving 80+ and living on Long Island with CRAZY traffic I can drive in the HOV lane solo!
Then when I get into one of my Vetts

Prius (Clark Kent)
Vett (Superman)

Old 03-06-2014, 01:14 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
625 / 635 - those are insane numbers. "Outside" of people who are going to track them - how many street drivers can control a vehicle with that much HP and torque?
shoulda have asked this question back in 08/09 when the ZR1 showed up...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Z06 - how many street car buyers can handle that much car?