Sponsored by:

I'm impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 AM
737Drvr
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I'm impressed!

Hello everyone...I'm new to the forum and am seriously thinking about either ordering or finding a new Stingray. Please allow me to give you all a little background. Like most of you, I am a true car guy. I come by it honestly as my Dad has owned a great many cars. He is primarily a Corvette enthusiast. He currently owns 3 (a C2 Stinray, a 61, and a '10 ZR1) and has plans for adding a Stingray in the near future. You would think I would naturally like Corvettes but I have "strayed" down a different path.

About 10 years ago, I got into the European car scene. I liked the way they drove, handled, etc. better than any previous car I had owned. They do make some very nice vehicles and certain ones just tug at me. I have been blessed to own a few of the special cars Porsche and the Italians build. I honestly haven't had any interest in anything America builds, until now. All three manufacturers are producing some great vehicles--especially sports cars. I think the Viper is really cool but, in all honesty, over priced. I also think highly of the current Mustang GT's, Bosses, and Shelby's. But of all the current American Sports Car offerings, the Corvette C7 lineup is simply unrivaled. GM nailed this one! The exterior looks great but the interior improvements are just phenomenal. This is coming from a guy who thinks a lot of Porsche and their interiors. But it's my opinion the C7 is better in many ways. The materials are now on par with its rivals and, more importantly, the ergonomics are outstanding. I love the layout of the Stingray cockpit. It is driver centric and the controls are easy to use and purposeful. Well done Chevy. Hell, they even threw in an oh sh*t handle for the passenger. As the title says, I am impressed. For the first time in a long time, I am looking to buy a car built right here in the States.

I currently have a new Mustang GT on order but may be cancelling that to get a Stingray. The C7 would be my daily driver. Velocity Yellow is my first color choice followed by Cyber Gray, and Laguna Blue. A 7spd 2LT Z51 with NPP, Carbon Fiber Exposed Roof, Carbon Flash Spoiler and Mirrors, Navigation, and Black Wheels would be my perfect Stingray. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:24 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Ummm ....ok......good luck.......not sure what your question is......
Old 01-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Diesel88
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure either but I see your first two color choices, so FYI they are both changing for 2015 apparently. There are pictures of the new gray on here and the new yellow will be shown in Daytona at the end of the month. Not too happy about the VY color changing but it's suppose to be brighter. I hope they don't ruin it. Either way good luck.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 AM
737Drvr
Intermediate

Sorry for the vagueness. I should have went a little further. I am soliciting opinions on the options I outlined for a car that is going to be a daily driver. I live in AZ and the car will spend some its time under covered parking. Of course I'll get some biased answers, but I'm also wanting get your opinions on this car as a daily vs. getting a Mustang. Maybe those that have own/ed both can chime in.

Also, do you guys think 3K off of a Z51 is realistic at this point? From my research, the prices seem like they are loosening up a bit. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:50 AM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya and welcome to the forum

Im not sure of your question but it sounds like you are on the fence and want a push

Interesting you would go from a Porsche to a Mustang. Not that either is better than the other but very different styles to drive.

Either way you go, I hope you are happy with what you pick. Its a great time for car nuts with so many new quality performance cars being made.

Better hurry though! From what is posted, both colors youre interested in are going away soon
Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 AM
737Drvr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mecholova
Hiya and welcome to the forum

Im not sure of your question but it sounds like you are on the fence and want a push

Interesting you would go from a Porsche to a Mustang. Not that either is better than the other but very different styles to drive.

Either way you go, I hope you are happy with what you pick. Its a great time for car nuts with so many new quality performance cars being made.

Better hurry though! From what is posted, both colors youre interested in are going away soon
The Porsche was just a weekend driver. It was a GT3 that I don't think would make a good daily driver. Pretty stiff cars. It's long gone as I tend to have this bad habit of going through cars. My wife just shakes her head. I'm lucky, she's actually very cool about this hobby we call cars. LOL.

Anyway, I'd better get my order in or find one in short order. Two great colors. I think Kerbeck has a Yellow one that fits the bill. Thanks for the welcome and push.

Oh, and any thoughts on Kerbeck?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 AM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the going through cars, I did that a lot in my 20s. Then, I lost interest in most cars being made because nothing really stood out to me or, those that did were way too impractical for me.

It was the C7 that resparked my interest in cars and since then, Ive looked at just about all the sports cars available this year that are under $150k and I keep coming back to the Stingray.

All the forum dealers here are great, Kerbecks included. Ive spoken to them all at one point or another and they all are very knowledgeable, friendly and you wont get any BS from them.

Kerbecks (as with any dealer) can be busy depending on when you try to call them but Ive found that if you email Dave, he replies quickly.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:59 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youll need to do your own research re: 1lt, 2lt, 3lt. they differ mostly (at least to me) as far as interior leather and tire choices are concerned, but you have to see to understand. Z51 is a no brainer, and most people choose the nnp and magnetic ride options.

you stated in your post "stingray", so that is what i answered, albeit quickly. in case youre not aware, they have just introduced (this monday) a new variant of the C7, slated to come out near year end. its a lot faster than the stingray, has a supercharger, and some slightly different design features. if you plan on racing your car, you should look into this, as its likely the fastest corvette ever made. also, most people on this forum appear to like the design overall a bit better; note it is 3.5 inches wider. also, although this does not appear to be a factor for you, its estimated to cost about $100k.

you might want to ride your stingray, just to check that out. note that the largest dealers are your best bet (kerbeck in atlantic city is the worlds largest, and have a large selection on colors on hand), as many of the smaller dealers will not let you drive one unless you buy it.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,222 Likes on 13,930 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would certainly take the C7 over a Mustang and the options you mention would make for a very nice car.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

38 years since I last bought a new Corvette, and the C7 is the first one Chevrolet has made that has interested me enough since my C2 to read up on and start shopping them. Haven't seen one yet at a dealer, or on the streets yet. Lots of choices it sounds like on 'em.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 AM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your options are an excellent choice. I would only add magnetic ride and a rag top!!!... I'm a 737 driver as well.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

I agree on adding the magnetic ride with the Z-51. Adjusting the suspension between Tour, Sport and Track modes is definitely part of the fun of driving this car (there is a big difference). I have the 3LT interior which is not really necessary unless you like to pamper yourself (like I guess I do!).

Whatever you order you will LOVE this car.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm impressed!

Quick Reply: I'm impressed!