Sponsored by:

Comprehensive Non Z51 Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Jarhead Mike
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Comprehensive Non Z51 Review

OK everyone, here we go, a non-Z51 review for all of you who are on the fence like I was prior to buying an arctic-white 2LT non-Z51 stingray that I just took delivery of yesterday from MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua, NH. My hat is off to this dealership. Ron and Tommy Jr made everything effortless, a GREAT dealership to work with. Now, on to the review.

Before I go any further, I would like to mention that I WAS a German car fan, having owned Porsches and currently owning 2 BMW's, so I know what a tight and good-handling car should feel like.

I had a great opportunity to test-drive this car for 5 hours on the way home in the rain, sun, and SNOW! Yes, although the weatherman said no such precipitation, I encountered all 3 weather conditions and the car worked flawlessly in all conditions. Sorry to the guy in the minivan that crashed his car into a pole looking at our car rather than the road!!! Yes, this did indeed happen, and new owners of this car should be extra careful when changing lanes since many people will drive up next to you and gawk at it for several minutes.

Interior quality
: stellar to say the least, and the navigation and electronics worked flawlessly so far. It did not take long to figure everything out after Ron at MacMulkin explained things before I left. All instruments point towards the driver, and operation is super-convenient. This looks like the interior I would expect from the most expensive supercars, and I am very impressed to say the least. Grade: A+

Handling: I was on the fence with the non-Z51 car because I was worried about handling and body roll without it. Let me be perfectly clear here. THE BODY DOES NOT ROLL......AT ALL. I live in an area that has hilly winding roads with many sharp and hairpin turns and I can tell you that even when pushing the car as I did yesterday (scary fast), doing over 55MPH around a tight hairpin turn and showing .88G on the G-meter included in the electronics, the body does not roll at all, and you do not move at all in the seats, at least you don't feel like you do. They hold you in place as they should without being uncomfortable. Saying that the car "drives like on rails" does not do it justice at all. It is MUCH better than that, and anyone buying the non-Z51 will be more-than-satisfied to say the least. I cant even imagine it being better to be honest Grade: A++.

Power: No surprise here, the power is substantial and I haven't even pushed the car to its limits in my attempt to break in the car as recommended. It is surprising, however, how fast you can accelerate away from other cars and yet feel totally in control. You don't even feel like you are going that fast, but you are. You just see the other cars fading off behind you. Grade: A+++

Interior Comfort and features: Seats are ultra-comfortable, and even with my bad back, I had no issues after a 5 hour drive in this car. In other German cars I have owned, my back would hurt after a few hours, but not in this car. Totally comfortable all the way for 5 hours. Leather is supple, no cheap feeling to anything in the car. Even the storage areas are lined with a felt-like material which was surprising. The storage area behind the display got rather hot after a few hours, so be careful when storing temperature-sensitive items back there with the display up and the car running. It can be difficult to place things in the door pockets when seated, but this also happens in my BMW so no foul here. All in all, a very impressive interior that rivals that in my BMW's. You sit rather deeply and low, so reaching out of the car to pay tolls and things like that take a bit of getting used to. Independent temp controls worked well, heated seats were not too hot, everything worked perfectly. Grade: A+

Manual Gearshifter and Clutch: Manual shifting in the 7 speed format will take a bit of getting used to, but after a few hours, I got the hang of it. Gears are closely-spaced, so finding the gate will give you a few headaches at first. Unlike the German cars however, you will feel much more vibration through the gear shifter ****, especially when using eco mode when the car uses only 4 cylinders to save gas. However, this was not a negative to me only because I EXPECT a muscle-car to feel like this. Shifting was smooth with a bit of resistance so far, and once you get used to it, you will not feel the change in gearing especially when operating the clutch well. Rev matching worked great, as did the gear indicator on the HUD and main display. Grade: A

Navigation System: I used the nav system all the way home, and it is amazing. When driving near cities, the 3D view gives you representations of buildings, and you can actually pick out the building you are looking at on the nav screen. Buildings that have a steeple show a steeple on the display, and when driving through mountainous terrain, you will see the hills and valleys displayed. Also, with the SiriusXM feature, you can see the weather on the display as well. Snow showed up as, well, snow, and when you select the weather function, it will show you the weather all the way to your destination. This may be common today, but I had not seen this yet in my other cars. The voice prompts were loud enough to hear even with the sound management turned off and the car grumbling beneath you. And, the fact that the HUD shows you the turns and distance to the next turn is great and something I did not expect. Screen is huge, and everything worked flawlessly. Grade: A+

Driving in Poor Weather: I got the chance to drive this car on snow-covered roads and in the rain and it was better than I would have expected it to be. It was a bit harrowing to drive a brand new sports car in the snow, but I had no choice. It was coming down and the car had no issues at all. I put the car into weather mode, and all worked perfectly. Much better than my other German cars could have done. My Z4 does not MOVE on the snow at all. Grade: A+

Functionality of Different Driving Modes and Gas Mileage: I had the chance to use all of the driving modes and there is definitely a difference, especially with regards to track and sport modes. In these 2 modes, you can feel a noticeable tighter feel in the steering wheel which I appreciated due to the tight feel that the German cars provide. You cannot tell that the car has power steering, and it tighter and more controlled than you can imagine. Weather mode worked well in the snow and rain too. In Eco mode, I got 29.8 MPG going over hills and valleys in poor weather traveling over 70 most of the time. Grade: A+

Suspension: Feels just like my Porsche used to. Tight as all hell but supple over bumps especially at higher speeds. I hit 2 potholes that I could not avoid that were very deep and the car soaked them up as if they were nothing without any wheel damage that I could see or feel which is exactly the reason why I opted for the non-Z51 car. The northeast is full of potholes and I have put thousands of dollars into replacement wheels on my BMW over the years due to them. No body roll, complete and utter control in every respect. My wife kept commenting on how smooth the car feels when driving, and she is in the passenger seat. Grade: A++

Wow Factor: EVERYONE looks at this car when passing you, and truthfully, I found driving SLOWER to be more pleasant simply because everyone gets a chance to stare at the car. Yeah, you can go flying down the road but you dont have to. Everyone knows it is fast. However, you do have to be careful. Cars fly up to you, then stop right next to you so that they can look at your car, and many stay in your blind spot since viewing the car in that perspective shows them the rear and the side in the same view. As I mentioned earlier, someone driving next to us crashed into a divider pole and fortunately we got out of the way before he headed to the side of the road with the front of his minivan destroyed. Gas station attendant could not comment enough on how cool this car is, and everyone we came into contact with verbally said something positive about this car. Grade: A+

In conclusion, I have to say that I am so proud of GM at this moment. They really outdid themselves on this car. I have NEVER been this excited about a new car, even when purchasing the German cars that I have purchased in the past. There is NOTHING about this car that I could complain about, and regarding the non Z-51 version, you will not be dissatisfied with purchasing it. I cannot imagine better handling. This is not to say that the Z51 purchasers did not also buy an awesome car, since they did. What I AM saying is that the non Z51 car performs so well that I cannot imagine needing or wanting more unless I went to the track on a regular basis. My legs were shaking after taking the high-speed hairpin turn mentioned earlier, and when I feel that, I know I have reached my personal comfort limit with regards to speed. The car had plenty more to give, I just couldn't push myself to ask it to. Congratulations to all who have bought this car, you cannot be disappointed with it.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (06-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good review !

I can't wait to get some seat time in mine. Before the car even comes home I'm getting 20% tint put on it. I hate people peering in on me non stop and I'm getting the feeling the car will be getting even more attention than my wide body c6 gets.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

still not worth it. The best new addition in terms of performance and stability in the past 15 years (if not more) is the electronic diff. Buying a non-Z51 is great if you plan on using it to cruise around, never drive hard, never modify, and never see any track duty; basically drive a corvette for the looks alone. The E-diff is the absolute must have option on the C7 for everyone else; it drastically improves the ability to put power down and keeping the *** end from stepping out. Honestly it should be standard equipment; same is true for the better brakes.. They should be standard equipment, but if you will never go over 70mph, it is not that big a deal.

I feel bad for anyone that bought a 14 auto non-z51... the depreciation is going to suck

Last edited by Gadfly; 01-17-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Driving mine home Monday
Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Great write up. Congratulations on a great car. Your color choice is outstanding.

Now I wish we could get the same write up on a Z51. Hopfully with the same driver of both, to get a good comparison.

Again well done.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM
IAmCole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this up! It makes me even more excited to get mine. I opted for a Z51 as I felt it was worth the cost and added wait time (of which there was a lot) for me personally, but I think both versions are great cars. I'm picking mine up in a little over a week and driving from Atlanta to Seattle in it. It should be a blast!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

good write up. I too got a non-Z51. I could have foregone the 3LT interior and gone 2LT Z51 instead, but I don't track my personal cars, don't plan on mods and it is my daily driver. So, non-Z51, 3LT is perfect for me.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
still not worth it. The best new addition in terms of performance and stability in the past 15 years (if not more) is the electronic diff. Buying a non-Z51 is great if you plan on using it to cruise around, never drive hard, never modify, and never see any track duty; basically drive a corvette for the looks alone. The E-diff is the absolute must have option on the C7 for everyone else; it drastically improves the ability to put power down and keeping the *** end from stepping out. Honestly it should be standard equipment; same is true for the better brakes.. They should be standard equipment, but if you will never go over 70mph, it is not that big a deal.

I feel bad for anyone that bought a 14 auto non-z51... the depreciation is going to suck
Gee, I don't have the eLSD in my c6 Z06 and I can drive it just as hard in the corners and even at high speeds, as you in your C7 Z51 with eLSD.

Coming out of turn four at 140-145 MPH at WOT and heading for 160+ MPH( a tiny bit over the magical 70 MPH in which you feel is the max one can drive a non eLSD equipped Corvette) down the 4000' back stretch is possible in a Corvette without the eLSD.

I'm sure the eLSD is a nice addition to the Z51, but to run down a Corvette, and it's driver, because they don't have the eLSD in their car is very petty of you.

But then, a cushy Lexus(old lady's car) RC F has a 5L V8 with 450+ horsepower(about what your Z51 has) and an 8 speed sport Direct-Shift transmission and a Torque Vectoring rear differential. It also has Brembo brakes and a speed activated rear spoiler. Should the C7 Z51 run and hide from a Lexus?

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Great review. Thanks for taking the time. Makes me wish for Spring.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gadfly.... It's a car, not an investment! If you bought a Z51 for an investment, you're going to be sadly disappointed. And I'm sure you can drive your Z51 to 100% of its capability? Right! Maybe 20% at best.
911Hunter (06-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you track your car? I find comments like these hilarious. Corvettes have had a regular LSD for years now and get around the track very quickly w/o issue. I've been running HPDEs for over a decade and W2W racing a C5 for 3+ years now.

Sure the eLSD is a nice piece of technology, but to act like the base car can't handle is a joke.
911Hunter (06-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
good write up. I too got a non-Z51. I could have foregone the 3LT interior and gone 2LT Z51 instead, but I don't track my personal cars, don't plan on mods and it is my daily driver. So, non-Z51, 3LT is perfect for me.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Gee, I don't have the eLSD in my c6 Z06 and I can drive it just as hard in the corners and even at high speeds, as you in your C7 Z51 with eLSD.

Coming out of turn four at 140-145 MPH at WOT and heading for 160+ MPH( a tiny bit over the magical 70 MPH in which you feel is the max one can drive a non eLSD equipped Corvette) down the 4000' back stretch is possible in a Corvette without the eLSD.

I'm sure the eLSD is a nice addition to the Z51, but to run down a Corvette, and it's driver, because they don't have the eLSD in their car is very petty of you.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

Originally Posted by mkr1966
Gadfly.... It's a car, not an investment! If you bought a Z51 for an investment, you're going to be sadly disappointed. And I'm sure you can drive your Z51 to 100% of its capability? Right! Maybe 20% at best.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Great write up and congratulations!!!! Snow!!! time to trade!!!! Surprised some on here have not hammered you on that aready!!!

Z51........come on its an ego trip for a street car. If you're not going to the track it you don't need it. If you are driving that aggressive on the street for it to make a difference you are driving irresonsibily.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:56 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

That would be me..14 auto non-z51 !! I don't drive a vette for the looks alone but it is nice to get them.Been over 70 many times, however I do not track the car.I'm sure most vette owners do not track their car. Depreciation ??? don't care . I will keep it long enough it won't matter.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Great write up and congratulations!!!! Snow!!! time to trade!!!! Surprised some on here have not hammered you on that aready!!!

Z51........come on its an ego trip for a street car. If you're not going to the track it you don't need it. If you are driving that aggressive on the street for it to make a difference you are driving irresonsibily.
I couldn't agree more with your statement as you took the words right out of my mouth. I have ordered a non Z51 as well. While I love the looks of the Z51 wheels, brake rotors, spoiler, I don't care at all for the Z51 tires and the very narrow sidewalls. But this is whats great about America....we have a choice!

Get notified of new replies

To Comprehensive Non Z51 Review

Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I give this review an A++, A+,A+++. and an A
911Hunter (06-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up. Great timing for me. I just got off the phone to a small dealer here that said he doesn't have a lot of hope to get my ordered Z51 in. Which I wanted primarily for the wheels and the mag ride. So, I am left with second choice, a non-Z51 which has some advantages... a better ride overall for the majority of my driving, less brake dust and crap and I have yet to hear of the banshee style brake sqeal on the non Z51. Oh, and yes I think it will still be a blast to drive.

JoeC5 has it right... It is idiotic to say a nonZ is not worth it because of an edif or any other item. If that were true, a Vette less than a ZR1 or C7Z06 shouldn't even be considered.
911Hunter (06-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mkr1966
if the was the case, why bother buying a high performance, car, Yes I can drive it at 100% of it's capability.

I didn't buy a year 1 z51, as they are the future 05 bases, and will depreciate at a much faster rate, on the bight side, look at all these parts cars.

Last edited by Gadfly; 01-17-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Comprehensive Non Z51 Review