C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What about traction control? Do they not have faith in their product? I live in Eastern Kentucky, the dealership was in West Virginia.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Michael Stepp
Thats the thing I have already dealt with them and what they are going to give me for my car. 21,500. Simple as this, they would of sold a car today if they would have let me drive the car first.
Yes but tell them that you will buy it contingent on a test drive that there's not squeaks and rattles.

Get all the paperwork ready, checks signed etc...

They would be stupid not to let you drive the car then.

But you just "saying" you will buy it SHOULD be sufficient especially if you've dealt with them before but we all know how some dealers are.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:34 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I went to a dealer today, wanting to trade in my C5 for a new C7. (same dealer that I bought the C5 from) I will not buy a car without test driving it so when I asked if I could I was told that if it is not 45 degrees outside that no one can drive them. (it was 30) This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
"Summer" tires are JUST that...tires whose compound and design are made for "SUMMER". They are PERFORMANCE tires, why do you not understand that (when it has been discussed about a million times on this very forum...oh wait, you are a NEWBIE). You weren't allowed a test drive for several reasons I imagine, the tires were a convenient excuse. You make the point of saying that this is the same dealer you bought your C5 from....so, you haven't bought a car from this dealer or any Corvette for that matter, in at least 10 years....do you think ANY Corvette dealer lets ANY one test drive a C7? (and you are an "anyone" at this point). Would YOU let YOU test drive a C7 today, armed with any of the information shared in this post?

Do your homework, develop a relationship, and get back to us. This is an expensive car, just because you think you're important doesn't mean a dealer agrees or is willing to take the chance. A test drive in any expensive car is a PRIVELEDGE, not a RIGHT.

Jimmy
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

What about traction control? Do they not have faith in their product? I live in Eastern Kentucky, the dealership was in West Virginia.
Doesn't matter, depending on what you do, traction control and stability control might not catch it in time. Plus with a press of a button you can turn it off.

When it was 15 degrees here, I was barely on the throttle with cold tires and the rear broke lose.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

So just because I don't post on this forum means I know nothing about driving a car in the winter with summer tires. I am a NEWBIE on a forum not in life. Get a clue. My business is a privileged not a right. I bought my Covette last April as well as a new 2008 Silverado from the same dealer. As for the excuse I went to another Chevy dealer and asked to drive just a 1LE SS because they didn't have a Vette. They told me the same thing. Also Jimmy learn to spell.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The whole business about tires cracking came about as a result of the Camaro ZL1 and 1LE's coming with Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 tires that were susceptible to cracking at temps below 20 F (and even this cracking is stated to only be cosmetic and will not result in a loss of tire pressure).

When GM announced the summer tires that were to come on the Corvette, and suggested that they not be used when the temperature is below 40 F, some took this to mean that these tires too would crack. Nothing that I have seen or heard indicates that this is reality. Neither Michelin nor GM have issued any warnings about the Corvette tires cracking at lower temperatures. Here are two related published items from GM. The first is a service bulletin regarding the Camaro tires and the second is printed in the Corvette owner's manual regarding the Corvette tires.

Camaro Service Bulletin

Important Date:01/25/2013
Ref. number:Service / Service Operations / G_0000157402
Subject:ZL1 - 1LE Tires
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

GMSO415
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: January 25, 2013
SubjectZL1 - 1LE Tires
Models:Camaro ZL1 And 1LE
To:All Chevrolet Dealers
Attention:Service Manager, Sales Manager, Warranty Administrator, Parts Managers

The Camaro ZL1 and 1LE vehicles come standard equipped with 285/35ZR20 & 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance summer tires with track capability.

Goodyear F1 Supercar Performance tires are a summer season tire and are not intended to be driven on snow, ice, or road surfaces below -7° C (20° F).

If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7° C (20° F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Tire movement, when the temperature is below -7° C (20° F), may result in surface crack in the tread area of the tire. A surface crack on a tire is cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air

Special tread and compound used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates, heavy rain, and standing water.

Driving on wet roads, in heavy rain, or through standing water with Summer Season Performance tires may result in hydroplaning and loss of vehicle control.

Driving with Summer Season Performance Tires on snow, ice, or cold road surfaces can cause loss of control or an accident

Refer to service bulletin 04-03-10-013G: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available winter tires.

Tire Storage
It is recommended for these tires to be stored indoors at temperatures above 20 deg F (-7 deg C) when not in use. If the tires have been subject to 20 deg F (-7 deg C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40 deg F for 24 hours or more before installation or driving the vehicle. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 40 deg F (5 deg C). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

END OF MESSAGE

2014 Corvette Owner's Manual

Summer Tires
High Performance Summer Tires
This vehicle may come with P245/40ZR18 and P285/35ZR19, or P245/35ZR19 and P285/30ZR20 high performance summer tires. These tires have a special tread and
compound that are optimized for maximum dry and wet road performance. This special tread and compound will have decreased performance in cold climates, and
on ice and snow. We recommend installing winter tires on the vehicle if frequent driving at temperatures below approximately 5°C (40°F) or on ice or snow covered roads is
expected. See Winter Tires on page 10-44.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

So just because I don't post on this forum means I know nothing about driving a car in the winter with summer tires. I am a NEWBIE on a forum not in life. Get a clue. My business is a privileged not a right. I bought my Covette last April as well as a new 2008 Silverado from the same dealer. As for the excuse I went to another Chevy dealer and asked to drive just a 1LE SS because they didn't have a Vette. They told me the same thing. Also Jimmy learn to spell.

Whatever.
Sorry I spelled "Privileged" wrong.
And sorry you can't work your way into a C7 test drive. I guess your dealer isn't that impressed with someone who buys a 5 year old pickup and a 10 year old Corvette. And you should learn how to spell (and use punctuation)...."My business is a privileged not a right" SHOULD read: "My business is a privilege, not a right"

Anything else or do you want to keep trolling?

So...you want to test drive a C7 and in lieu of THAT test drive being available, you asked to drive a Camaro SS? How does THAT remotely make your point?

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-19-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The whole business about tires cracking came about as a result of the Camaro ZL1 and 1LE's coming with Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 tires that were susceptible to cracking at temps below 20 F (and even this cracking is stated to only be cosmetic and will not result in a loss of tire pressure).

When GM announced the summer tires that were to come on the Corvette, and suggested that they not be used when the temperature is below 40 F, some took this to mean that these tires too would crack. Nothing that I have seen or heard indicates that this is reality. Neither Michelin nor GM have issued any warnings about the Corvette tires cracking at lower temperatures. Here are two related published items from GM. The first is a service bulletin regarding the Camaro tires and the second is printed in the Corvette owner's manual regarding the Corvette tires.

Camaro Service Bulletin

Important Date:01/25/2013
Ref. number:Service / Service Operations / G_0000157402
Subject:ZL1 - 1LE Tires

GMSO415
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: January 25, 2013
SubjectZL1 - 1LE Tires
Models:Camaro ZL1 And 1LE
To:All Chevrolet Dealers
Attention:Service Manager, Sales Manager, Warranty Administrator, Parts Managers

The Camaro ZL1 and 1LE vehicles come standard equipped with 285/35ZR20 & 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance summer tires with track capability.

Goodyear F1 Supercar Performance tires are a summer season tire and are not intended to be driven on snow, ice, or road surfaces below -7° C (20° F).

If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7° C (20° F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Tire movement, when the temperature is below -7° C (20° F), may result in surface crack in the tread area of the tire. A surface crack on a tire is cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air

Special tread and compound used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates, heavy rain, and standing water.

Driving on wet roads, in heavy rain, or through standing water with Summer Season Performance tires may result in hydroplaning and loss of vehicle control.

Driving with Summer Season Performance Tires on snow, ice, or cold road surfaces can cause loss of control or an accident

Refer to service bulletin 04-03-10-013G: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available winter tires.

Tire Storage
It is recommended for these tires to be stored indoors at temperatures above 20 deg F (-7 deg C) when not in use. If the tires have been subject to 20 deg F (-7 deg C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40 deg F for 24 hours or more before installation or driving the vehicle. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 40 deg F (5 deg C). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

END OF MESSAGE

2014 Corvette Owner's Manual

Summer Tires
High Performance Summer Tires
This vehicle may come with P245/40ZR18 and P285/35ZR19, or P245/35ZR19 and P285/30ZR20 high performance summer tires. These tires have a special tread and
compound that are optimized for maximum dry and wet road performance. This special tread and compound will have decreased performance in cold climates, and
on ice and snow. We recommend installing winter tires on the vehicle if frequent driving at temperatures below approximately 5°C (40°F) or on ice or snow covered roads is
expected. See Winter Tires on page 10-44.
Thanks after seeing this I will go to another dealer, there was no need for them to turn me down on this test drive.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Thanks after seeing this I will go to another dealer, there was no need for them to turn me down on this test drive.
Best wishes on your search!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

Truck was new when I purchased it. As far as my C5 what does it matter it was 10 years old? I bought it as a toy, didn't think I would want a new one. Do you think you are better than me or something just because the dealer didn't want to deal with me? Trust me you are not better than I am. It doesn't matter how many cars you buy from a dealer they should try to sell everyone they can. As far as "working" my way into a test drive, I work 60+ hours a week to have what I got. So don't judge me.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts

Jeez take a valium or something. You make it sound like you were personally insulted -- or somehow privileged.

It's the dealer's choice when and where to give out test drives and to who. Don't take it personally.

It's just business.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:08 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sin City
Jeez take a valium or something. You make it sound like you were personally insulted -- or somehow privileged.

It's the dealer's choice when and where to give out test drives and to who. Don't take it personally.

It's just business.
I was personally insulted by jimmyb.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:10 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Sounds from your first post it was more than just Jimmyb. Let's be a little honest here. You were insulted they would not let you drive the car today.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

No, I was just wondering if anyone else thought that it was bad business to not sell a car because of a test drive.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

I am very sorry. It was not my intention to insult you, what you wrote did not make sense to me. Good luck with your search.

Jimmy
Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

No, I was just wondering if anyone else thought that it was bad business to not sell a car because of a test drive.
Bad for business? Well, maybe. But every business has it's risks and rewards.

They decided for whatever reason it was too cold for a test drive. It's their decision to risk losing a sale or not.

I don't think it was bad business. It would have been worse if someone hit a patch of black ice on the drive and totaled their only demo.

There's always two sides to every story.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sin City
Bad for business? Well, maybe. But every business has it's risks and rewards.

They decided for whatever reason it was too cold for a test drive. It's their decision to risk losing a sale or not.

I don't think it was bad business. It would have been worse if someone hit a patch of black ice on the drive and totaled their only demo.

There's always two sides to every story.
I could agree with that, however it was dry outside just a little chilly. They also have about 7 or 8 C7s. They also still have two 427 verts left. I'd really like to buy one of those but that would defeat the purpose of me buying a new one. The reason I want a new one is to drive everyday and not feel guilty about putting miles on it. My C5 only had 15,000 on it when I bought it and driving a 427 everyday would almost be a crime against Corvettes. Plus the 427 are bit out of my price range. lol

Get notified of new replies

To Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

This is pretty simple. If you are serious show up will all funds, fill out as much paperwork as possible, and then before you finalize the purchase have a salesperson take you for a ride to check for the rattles and squeaks you are concerned with. I'm guessing they don't want to let people take their C7 out for joy rides.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The big deal is if they think it is unsafe for me to test drive it, how can they let me buy it and drive it home in that weather? Why even have the Corvette center open at that dealership?
Figure it out, it was just an excuse not to let you drive it period. If it was a small dealer, they want a Vette with no miles on it. If you go to the larger dealerships like MacMulkin or Kerbeck, I don't think they do test drives either. I did test drive one before I bought, but it wasn't much of a test drive. It took about 10 minutes after I took delivery to realize how awesome the car is. If you buy without a test drive, you won't regret it. Very few people are getting test drives. Don't take it personally.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 01-19-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had never even ridden in a C6 before buying my GS. I just knew I would like it. A test ride was not necessary for me.
The same thing may happen for me with the C7.

I am not saying this applies to you...Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?