Sponsored by:

IMHO: yes/no Z51?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Rubber Ducky
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IMHO: yes/no Z51?

Have just gone from a 2011 GS/MT vert (Z51 included in GS) to a 2014 Stingray non-Z51/MT vert. Had the money down on the Stingray last May for a Z51 with mag ride control; dealer called in October and said I could either drop the Z51 and have order go in that day or stick with it and wait. I decided to go with non-Z51.

It was the right decision. The Z51 ride in my 2011 GS was OK, but hard; not an easy ride. The non-Z51 Stingray is a noticeably smoother ride that sacrifices nothing on the street. What I think:
If you're going to track your Vette a lot, you need Z51.
If you're never going to track your car, the non-Z51 option is by far the better choice.
If you may track now and again but maybe not, it's a toss-up. But get the MRC too if you go with the Z51.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 AM
DalTexVette
Instructor

Good story. There's been some good reviews of non-Z51 lately.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Why would you want Z51 if you are not tracking the car.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
The reason I got a Z51 was not only for tracking the car (which I admit I only did about a half a dozen times in my C5). but also because it was so cheap to add. And in my opinion, the resale/trade value will be much greater down the road.

But I don't think you necessarily made a wrong decision. It's just the one for you. Have fun; its a great car no matter what you get in it.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky

It was the right decision. The Z51 ride in my 2011 GS was OK, but hard; not an easy ride. The non-Z51 Stingray is a noticeably smoother ride that sacrifices nothing on the street.
I have driven both versions and I felt absolutely no difference in ride comfort.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 AM
RickDI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the wheels better and it's the only way to get mag ride. Not sure at this point if I will benefit from the ediff.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

There has been some gross misinformation posted on this forum by a small but bombastic group of the early C7 buyers who chose the Z51 option. These guys are chest pounding and boasting about how their Corvettes are profoundly better street performers that stop faster and have better acceleration. Flatly laughable and testimonial to the fact that some who opted for Z51 had little knowledge of what they were buying.

Anyone here expecting a significantly higher resale value with the Z51 package is in for a rude awakening when sale day comes. C7 sellers with the Z51 option will be very lucky to recover 20% of the package price. Z51 has historically brought a few bucks at resale but unfortunately turns away other buyers who are not interested in the package or enthused about the increased maintenance costs for something that only a handful of us would ever "need".
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

There has been some gross misinformation posted on this forum by a small but bombastic group of the early C7 buyers who chose the Z51 option. These guys are chest pounding and boasting about how their Corvettes are profoundly better street performers that stop faster and have better acceleration. Flatly laughable and testimonial to the fact that some who opted for Z51 had little knowledge of what they were buying.

Anyone here expecting a significantly higher resale value with the Z51 package is in for a rude awakening when sale day comes. C7 sellers with the Z51 option will be very lucky to recover 20% of the package price. Z51 has historically brought a few bucks at resale but unfortunately turns away other buyers who are not interested in the package or enthused about the increased maintenance costs for something that only a handful of us would ever "need".
Actually, if you look at the residual values set by ally/GM for their leases, the Z51 package is 2% higher.

Z51 pays for itself in a lease and those values are usually pretty accurate.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Many people get the Z51 package because they like the look of the car better and you cannot duplicate that for even double the price. Aftermarket wheels in the same 18/19 size are the best option to keep the cost down.

Wheels - $4,000 (factory Z51 wheels inflated GM parts price)
Tires - $1500 in tires if you go up a size
Spoiler - $600
Black calipers vs. silver - $500 (moot point if you are getting red/yellow)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Welcome to Thread # 284,322,116 on this very topic

Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Since I do not track my car, I would probably go with the non-Z51 setup also. It would still be a very capable car.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C7 is a great car with or without the Z51.

For me, this will be the first and last new car I buy and I plan on keeping it. When considering the Z51 it was like asking "Do you want fries with that?"

I like fries.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
rdrnr
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I respect the decision to go with the base C7, however for me the Z51 is just too good a deal to pass up. The performance is so close to the outgoing ZO6 that you are essentially getting a better ZO6 for under 60 grand...and the wheels look so much better!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Defensive much? You claim the Z51 crowd is defensive relative to their purchase but that is about as pot/kettle as I have seen because you are the exact same way about not getting Z51.

I have never seen a bigger debate about what "option" is "right" or "wrong" in my life than this. The only "right" answer is the one the purchaser is happy with... end of story... reasons beyond that are irrelevant.

Get what you like for your own reasons... this debate is endless and no matter how much someone tries to argue their opinion is "right" or someone else's is "wrong", no one is winning this debate.

Last edited by gthal; 01-21-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM
bearcat75
Heel & Toe

I find it interesting that there is so much dissention amongst the ranks re: the Z51 vs base question. I've read thread, after thread, after thread...as I too had a decision to make. Taken as a whole...my take on the bantering is this: If you order a Z51 (and don't track)..you're stupid. If you order a base...you're cheap. I thought we were a pretty tight knit group...what other car owners wave to each other? We all drive the Great American Sports Car. IMO, that should be enough...regardless of what options we choose. BTW..If you look at Rick Conti's order list...you'll see Mark D at the very bottom. I ordered a Z51 30 minutes ago. I feel really stupid right now
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by gthal
Defensive much? You claim the Z51 crowd is defensive relative to their purchase but that is about as pot/kettle as I have seen because you are the exact same way about not getting Z51.

I have never seen a bigger debate about what "option" is "right" or "wrong" in my life than this. The only "right" answer is the one the purchaser is happy with... end of story... reasons beyond that are irrelevant.

Get what you like for your own reasons... this debate is endless and no matter how much someone tries to argue their opinion is "right" or someone else's is "wrong", no one is winning this debate.
Exactly. When I see such defensiveness it only makes me feel as though the poster is trying to justify to himself a decision that he regrets. I have no issues with someone who wants to bypass the Z51 option. More power to you. But lay off the ignorant speculation about other peoples intentions and buy/drive/store/use your car the way you want. You have little evidence of any of the future values that you state; it just makes you feel better about your own decision. Fine for you, but lay off the unwarranted slamming.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Plexoer
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 144 Posts

Nicer rims, better performing tires, better performing breaks, better performing rear end, spoiler, transmission cooler, diff cooler, and the option to get magnetic suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To IMHO: yes/no Z51?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

My question is: how much difference the magnetic option makes in term of ride quality for street vs. non-z51, non-magnetic. I had raced cars for decades but, done with that. For me my future C7 will be all for street use and the ride quality is an important factor.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
For me my future C7 will be all for street use and the ride quality is an important factor.
That's a great question--love to hear input. Three dealers all told me not to add unless I plan for track. Guess it comes down to $$ at the end of the day.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Sierramadre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Z51 because I wanted the black wheels and magnetic suspension. No intention of tracking the car. The cost was relatively minor and I figured if I was going to spend $62K, might as well step up and make it $65K to have it the way I want.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMHO: yes/no Z51?