Sponsored by:

Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM
rrross
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Key Fobs

I picked up my C7 today and I am confused with the fobs. On my C6, the fobs 1 & 2 correspond to the memory 1 & 2 settings for the seats, mirrors and steering wheel. this is stated in the manual for the C6 and that is how it works. I just tested it to make sure.

For the C7, the manual makes no reference to the fobs corresponding to the memory 1 & 2 setting for the seats. Also, the fobs are not numbered 1 & 2. My question is can one fob be set to operate the memory 1 settings and the other fob set to operate the memory 2 settings.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The ability to program two separate settings corresponding to a particular fob (1 or 2) has been eliminated, according to the information I have read. That was a nice feature on the C6.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:24 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a difference in the Fobs but they are not numbered like the C6 was. The memory settings for seats etc will correspond to a fob. What you will do is set everything the way you want with one fob and press the memory 1 button. If you enter/exit the car with the exact settings correct, you have the correct fob, if not you will use the other fob or reverse the memory setting to number 2. It's stupid, we all know, but this is the only way to identify the correct fob.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM
rrross
Instructor

Originally Posted by rrross
I picked up my C7 today and I am confused with the fobs. On my C6, the fobs 1 & 2 correspond to the memory 1 & 2 settings for the seats, mirrors and steering wheel. this is stated in the manual for the C6 and that is how it works. I just tested it to make sure.

For the C7, the manual makes no reference to the fobs corresponding to the memory 1 & 2 setting for the seats. Also, the fobs are not numbered 1 & 2. My question is can one fob be set to operate the memory 1 settings and the other fob set to operate the memory 2 settings.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
thanks
Yes, that is a nice feature on the C6
Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by ldepalma
There is a difference in the Fobs but they are not numbered like the C6 was. The memory settings for seats etc will correspond to a fob. What you will do is set everything the way you want with one fob and press the memory 1 button. If you enter/exit the car with the exact settings correct, you have the correct fob, if not you will use the other fob or reverse the memory setting to number 2. It's stupid, we all know, but this is the only way to identify the correct fob.
I thought I read a thread that noted they were identified by an imprint or engrave somewhere near the end on the key blade.

Last edited by Premmer; 01-24-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Premmer
I thought I read a thread that noted they were identified by an imprint or engrave somewhere near the end on the key blade.
No, not correct. On the fobs themselves, there looks to be like the number 1 inside the fob, however, both fobs have this so they aren't labeled. You have to guess which fob is 1 and which one is 2, but it's easy. When getting inside the car whichever memory position works on the door is associated with that fob.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Tannman
Racer

Originally Posted by ldepalma
No, not correct. On the fobs themselves, there looks to be like the number 1 inside the fob, however, both fobs have this so they aren't labeled. You have to guess which fob is 1 and which one is 2, but it's easy. When getting inside the car whichever memory position works on the door is associated with that fob.
Sorry, hate to contradict, but this is not the case. The RKE transmitters for my C7 (M7) are not numbered and have no relationship to the memory settings. I use my #1 setting for driving and my #2 setting for backing up (by having the side mirrors in a different configuration). I use the "fobs" interchangeably.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tannman
Sorry, hate to contradict, but this is not the case. The RKE transmitters for my C7 (M7) are not numbered and have no relationship to the memory settings. I use my #1 setting for driving and my #2 setting for backing up (by having the side mirrors in a different configuration). I use the "fobs" interchangeably.
Of course you can interchange them by pressing either button, but your missing the point.

If you start fresh from the beginning of the setup you will witness the following since the fobs are not numbered.

1. Take any fob you want to start
2. make the settings you need for seats, steering wheel etc.
3. Press the memory 1 position on the door
4. Do nothing else yet
5. exit the car, close the door.
6. using the same fob, open door, get in and press the memory 1 button. If everything moves to the correct position, that is fob 1, if not, get the other fob and you will see that is the one associated with memory 1 settings.

Since I have a M7 speed and I am the only driver, I am using fob 2. What happens is I open the door and press memory number 1 for the seat to go half way forward and the wheel half down so I can reach the clutch to start the car. I press memory number 2 to get the seat and wheel in the correct position to drive.

Now, if I use my spare fob, I have to use the opposite numbers of the memory buttons to get the seat and wheel settings correctly. Bottom line is the fobs are tied to the memory settings you have to guess which ones they are.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 AM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My key FOBS have numbers. Pull the key out of the FOB and on the underside of the key top, look inside the recessed rectangle. Mine are numbered 1 and 2. I have an A6, and memory recall works just as it did on my C6 A6.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:25 AM
bnall40
Racer

I never guess ... Have different colored house keys attached.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by indy 28
My key FOBS have numbers. Pull the key out of the FOB and on the underside of the key top, look inside the recessed rectangle. Mine are numbered 1 and 2. I have an A6, and memory recall works just as it did on my C6 A6.
This is correct. They are numbered.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,623 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
Have a std shift Z51 and mine are both labled 1 as was indicated. Perhaps the automatic trans, since it has remote start ( std trans does not) is different. However I agree with one post, just put a different key ring etc on one!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
Well, inside my two fobs is either a one or just a line. No two inside the rectangle.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
rrross
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
Well, inside my two fobs is either a one or just a line. No two inside the rectangle.
got it working and it works like the C6

thanks for all the help

Bob
Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM
Blue Lagoon
Instructor

At first mine did not work correctly. I found the fob numbers, set 1 to fob 1, but it would not work. After hours of moaning about it, I tried the other fob. It worked. Fob 1 worked with dvr setting 2, and vice versa.
But, they do work as I expected them to.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:55 PM
jgeer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been discussed early on and apparently some FOBs come marked 1 and 2 but many are both marked 1. Since my wife and I both drive the Vette I got my wifes fingernail polish and put a dash of color on the end of the FOB I use.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 PM
louloumax
Racer

Originally Posted by jgeer
This has been discussed early on and apparently some FOBs come marked 1 and 2 but many are both marked 1. Since my wife and I both drive the Vette I got my wifes fingernail polish and put a dash of color on the end of the FOB I use.
sometimes the simple soultion takes awhile to find its way here.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fobs

Old 01-25-2014, 09:07 PM
spindocHI
2nd Gear

So what will you do when she changes polish color?

Just kidding!
Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I marked mine on the outside using a pointed tipped soldering iron and etched the numbers on the plastic. Nice looking and permanent.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 PM
azvetters
Pro

Default Hi-jack

[QUOTE=JerryU;1586009732]Have a std shift Z51 and mine are both labled 1 as was indicated. Perhaps the automatic trans, since it has remote start ( std trans does not) is different]

I have a Auto,trans Z51 both fabs labled 1, I order a New fob its labled
#2- I'm not going the long program(30min +) to make fob 1 & 2?????
So just programed as fob # 3 (p2-2 -2-6 in manual....
sorry about this Hi-Jack...

Quick Reply: Key Fobs