Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Is it a Vette or a Hundai?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

When the C6 came out, reviewers said it was light years ahead of the C5. It was only a matter of time before they started pointing out the flaws and cheap materials....

Same will go for the C7.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bighank
Sat in a C7 today at the Washington Auto Show. Looks good from the outside but that changes when you get into the driver's seat.

The wheel feels smaller than my C5. Maybe just the difference in the wheel but the paddles inside the wheel felt kinda chintzy too. Plastic?
With the seat all the way down and back I felt like I was looking through the top of the windshield. I am 6'3" and do not have that experience in my C5 vert. The switch buttons for the windows and memory options also feel very light and flimsy. Better suited for a TV remote or XBOX control. For the likes of me I could not open the passenger door from the outside. Made sure that the doors were electrically unlocked. Did not like the inside door button. Why not a real latch.
Trunk was full of the top. Two other people said they doubted that you could put 2 full golf bags in the trunk. My C5 trunk has ample room even with the top down and stored in the trunk.
I was totally unimpressed by this remarkable car of the year.

Wow... A Hyundai comparison?? Really now?

I had an 09 Z06 and an 07 C6 Convertible before my C7 and I can tell you from first hand experience that the C7 is lightyears ahead of any previous Corvette in terms of quality and fit and finish. Especially on the interior. The buttons feel fine to my fingers and undoubtedly are on par with my wife's BMW. As for golf clubs.. LOL!! You could put 3 sets of clubs in the trunk! As for the passenger door opener. It works. I have no issues opening mine but the guy at a local shop couldn't figure it out until I showed him. Then again, I came from a C6 which had the same kind of door release buttons so it was a no brainer for me and I actually like those solenoid based door mechanisms. Door handles are so C5!

To each their own. Some like it, some don't but that Hyundai comparison is the most pathetic suggestion I've read here in a long time. Last time I heard that comparison was from a former member PeterMJ! I hope you are not related!

Sounds like perhaps you should either stick with your C5 or maybe looking into a Hyundai would be a better choice for you. I hear they have more headroom anyway!

Last edited by slief; 01-28-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I have owned 6 C5's and although I thought they were all great Corvette"s for their time....the interior quality was it's weakest point. The C7's interior is ions ahead in quality and style. I betcha even Stevie Wonder would notice that!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 PM
SIN R G
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sat in a C7 today at the Washington Auto Show. Looks good from the outside but that changes when you get into the driver's seat.

The wheel feels smaller than my C5. Maybe just the difference in the wheel but the paddles inside the wheel felt kinda chintzy too. Plastic?
With the seat all the way down and back I felt like I was looking through the top of the windshield. I am 6'3" and do not have that experience in my C5 vert. The switch buttons for the windows and memory options also feel very light and flimsy. Better suited for a TV remote or XBOX control. For the likes of me I could not open the passenger door from the outside. Made sure that the doors were electrically unlocked. Did not like the inside door button. Why not a real latch.
Trunk was full of the top. Two other people said they doubted that you could put 2 full golf bags in the trunk. My C5 trunk has ample room even with the top down and stored in the trunk.
I was totally unimpressed by this remarkable car of the year.
There are thousands and thousands of auto critics in the world, and we are stuck with one here trying to make it! DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB.......
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Go back to the C5 forum. The C6 was a massive improvement over the C 5 and the C7 is an even greater improvement over the C6. Now the C7 Z06 is on the horizon. I suppose you would find fault with it. By the way, it is Hyundai.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

bighank,

Don't let these people get to you. Obviously they love their Corvettes and will defend them no matter the issues.

My wife and I both check out the C7 at the Detroit Autoshow last week and we were both disappointed with the so called progress of the interior quality.

We have both been reading about it for months now and had high hopes but was greatly disappointed by GM again

Don;t get me wrong, I think the new C7 and especially the C7 Z06 is a beautiful car but only from a distance. If you get close and start looking at all of the details inside then that is when all of the defects are apparent.

Sadly this is what is to be expected of American Cars these days and I guess we are supposed to look the other way or just ignore them.

If I were ever to purchase another Corvette it would be a used C7 Z06 at a huge discount because I personally do not feel they are worth the money they are asking for them.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I was at the same show, sat in the same car, and IMO, it is the best base vette made to date. The inside, to me, felt a bit tighter than the C6 but that is all. Interior is 3x better than the C6. Materials felt better too.

Sat in the new viper as well...also very much improved inside. Both beautiful cars.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
bighank,

Don't let these people get to you. Obviously they love their Corvettes and will defend them no matter the issues.

My wife and I both check out the C7 at the Detroit Autoshow last week and we were both disappointed with the so called progress of the interior quality.

We have both been reading about it for months now and had high hopes but was greatly disappointed by GM again

Don;t get me wrong, I think the new C7 and especially the C7 Z06 is a beautiful car but only from a distance. If you get close and start looking at all of the details inside then that is when all of the defects are apparent.

Sadly this is what is to be expected of American Cars these days and I guess we are supposed to look the other way or just ignore them.

If I were ever to purchase another Corvette it would be a used C7 Z06 at a huge discount because I personally do not feel they are worth the money they are asking for them.
I for one would love to hear some specific examples of interior details that you find to be defective.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:47 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@ OP: I am sorry you cannot afford a new C7 and feel the need to justify that by not liking the C7.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a simple solution for everyone who thinks the C7 or any other vehicle is substandard. DON'T BUY IT!!!!! Let the people who like the car enjoy it and you enjoy your C5, benz or whatever you like. I'm sure people could pick your vehicle of choice apart for it's flaws as well
Old 01-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Dave@gotboostPerf
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I for one would love to hear some specific examples of interior details that you find to be defective.
Yes +1

I have a new C7 and the interior is on par or better than most of the german cars I have owned.

All the shiny metal that is plastic in most cars, (including my GTR and new Audi S4), is REAL Brushed aluminum. On the LT3 package the whole dash is leather with accent stiching, and the buttons and controls have a nice feel.

Carbon fiber dash is beautiful

Old 01-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 934 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

The only thing they could have upgraded is a more upscale plastic finish on the doors bezels and center console drink holder area. It is on par with econo boxes.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ta70raiii
Can't beat a large wheel!

That would seriously ruin any chance of ever getting a Freeway Hummer.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

as far as I am concerned I wouldn't take a C7 now if you paid me.
Herp durp nurrrrr.....
Old 01-29-2014, 07:24 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
bighank,

I think you have it wrong. I don't think many are blindly defending the car. The interior is, in fact, a huge improvement and it has very widely been confirmed by owners and professional reviewers. The general consensus is the fit, finish and quality is equal to German brands. The OP is just all about sour grapes and people are challenging the silliness of that.

There are items that can and are debated because they are subjective. That's fine. But to make the comments the OP is making suggests he is either simply bashing the car because he has a personal problem with it, can't see very well or hasn't seen it inside regardless of what he says. Even those who dislike the new exterior design will concede that the interior is a major step forward. I'm also not suggesting someone will like the interior design but the OP's comments are very severe and just out of whack.

While I'm on the topic of German autos, the interior of my C63 coupe was beautiful for sure but also one of the most noisy, rattle prone and problematic interiors I have owned. My M3's was more solid but also VERY boring relative to the interiors of the C63 and C7.

Last edited by gthal; 01-29-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm surprised by your comments.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah go buy your Korean crap car. They hired the Audi guy to copy cat his work . You stupid people who buy Korean cars and bash American cars need to wise up. Every time I see a Korean car my stomach churns.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Is it a Vette or a Hundai?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

^^ Agree with what Gthal stated. The C7 interior is an excellent improvement over past gens and now it's very close to or up to par with the German marques but none of these are perfect. I had a late model E55 and an M3, and both cars had their share of interior imperfections (e.g. Plastic ***** that easily broke, flimsy cupholders, even some minor fitment issues, etc.) plus don't get me started on electrical gremlins. Needless to say I was disappointed. The C7's interior isn't 100% perfect bliss like a Bentley or a Ferrari but it still exudes high-quality and is well-designed.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

OK...the school bell has been ringing.... recess is over, you need to go back inside your classrooms.

Remember what your teachers taught you....that belittling others cause they don't lockstep to your beliefs is a sign of lowered IQ and inferiority. Be nice or don't play outside on the playground.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
RCFiftyWon
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Yes, the OP's opinion of Hyundai is as old as his C5. He needs to update both.

A friend of mine had a pearl white Genesis Coupe. Very sexy car!

Quick Reply: C7 Is it a Vette or a Hundai?