Sponsored by:

Manual Or A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 AM
w7ldcard
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Or A6

So I have almost completely determined what I want for my car but I cant decide if I want manual or A6. I will be daily driving this car but I have daily drove both auto and manual sports cars.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

If you enjoy rowing the gears, get the manual. Auto will shift faster than you can, but not the same man/machine interface.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:53 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by w7ldcard
So I have almost completely determined what I want for my car but I cant decide if I want manual or A6. I will be daily driving this car but I have daily drove both auto and manual sports cars.
I have the 7 Speed. I can't imagine having this Car with anything else.

I'm getting old, so maybe someday I will have to get an Automatic.

Until that day, which will be the same day the guy delivers my Hoveround, running through the Gears in my Corvette is the only way to go. BTW - The Clutch isn't heavy and it's butter smooth.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 AM
w7ldcard
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
If you enjoy rowing the gears, get the manual. Auto will shift faster than you can, but not the same man/machine interface.
My issue is that the Auto is faster.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 AM
w7ldcard
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Second Vette

Until that day, which will be the same day the guy delivers my Hoveround, running through the Gears in my Corvette is the only way to go. BTW - The Clutch isn't heavy and it's butter smooth.
All of the sports cars I have had except for an Audi S4 have been manual but a main reason was that it was also faster to go manual
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Really? Are you saying that the tiny fraction of a second that an automatic transmission might save in an all-out acceleration comparison outweighs the difference in overall driving experience between a manual and an automatic? Sorry, but that kind of thinking makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:30 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I will go with the Automatic ...
Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

This is number 11 Vette for me, I have had 1 automatic. Automatics are just not for me, I have to agree in a Drag Race etc. the auto is faster. I am more of Road Race person now and the manual is much better suited for that environment plus the overall driving experience to me is just much better.
Now I will have to admit the new ZO6 with the 8 speed auto and paddle shift might be worth looking into if it is Road Race worthy.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette

I bought a 1993 Lt1 6 spd. Loved that car. Then I bought a 1994
Lt1 with an Auto. Soon felt the lost joy from the 6 spdvs the auto. Sold that
mistake and bought a new 6spd.
So everytime even though I know the Auto is much better.
I go thinking about an auto.
But I did drive a new 2008 C-6 and that Auto was not so good.
My 2008 base MN-6 was faster and I could pull the Auto's just like in the 90's
I'm with you on the hoveround!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have the automatic, it is my daily driver, I don't need to be "one with my car" , I like messing with tunes and using the phone and my track days are behind me. 460 hp mated to this A6 and it's software is a perfect combination for me.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:50 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto's used to be slower shifting because they use torque converters rather than clutches. That's not the case anymore and certainly not the case for double clutch transmissions. Can you call DCT's "automatic trannys" just because they have an automatic mode? Let's table that discussion. Chevy doesn't offer a DCT anyway. But I've driven one and they can shift gears brilliantly. I hear the C7 A6 is just as good as the DCTs. I will assume they are, therefore I will base my recommendation on the fact that the A6 is itself, brilliant. Now, ...

If you like using a manual, and there is something to be said for the satisfaction of really nailing a good shift and masterfully controlling the transmission while heeling-and-toeing around a tight curve, then get the manual. If you just want to be fast, or like convenience, get the A6. It's still a bit of fun pulling on paddles to shift, but IMHO, not near as much fun as stirring your own. It's good you have a choice.

Cheers.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have the automatic, it is my daily driver, I don't need to be "one with my car" , I like messing with tunes and using the phone and my track days are behind me. 460 hp mated to this A6 and it's software is a perfect combination for me.
Agree with you 100%. i went back and forth and finally got the A6. I like the overall experience in driving it. Plus when i am in wall to wall Houston traffic, i am so grateful i got the A6. it came down to this for me: 80% of the time, i will be in traffic and driving it like my 4runner and 20% of the time i want to have crazy fun and would like a manual. I figured for the 20% of the time, the paddle shifters are awesome and shift just as fast or faster then i would with the manual. Sitting in traffic with the A6 and messing with the tunes and drinking my coffee is so much more fun in the C7.....!!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't spell Manual without Man. M7 all the way.

Before anyone gets their fingers in a twist, this was a joke.

If you are going to be drag racing or sitting in traffic a lot, A6 is where it is at

If you want to have a more connected driving experience, M7
Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

It's all personal choice, my C5 and C6 were manuals. I bought a Camaro SS auto thinking I was ready to make that change and gave not enjoyed the auto at all. Ordering a C7 manual, hopefully tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
gregd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teejake
It's all personal choice, my C5 and C6 were manuals. I bought a Camaro SS auto thinking I was ready to make that change and gave not enjoyed the auto at all. Ordering a C7 manual, hopefully tomorrow.
I am trying to place my order for a C7 - it will be my 6th Corvette. This will be a stick, all others have been auto. Main reason was that I always bought off the lot in the past and manuals were veryhard to find. Always got the dealer sales pitch, you'll get tired of shifting, lower resale value, etc, etc... (translation: buy this one with auto because we don't have a stick).

Maybe I will get tired of a stick on the C7. But I doubt it!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I prefer manual so I chose the 7-speed. I don't look down upon people who chose the automatic. I don't care really. Personal choice is all. Both are fun.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I've never really understood how anyone other than the buyer could possibly answer such a personal choice question.

Either you want a stick or a manual. The technical aspect aside (i.e. which has faster ETA times at the track), the rest is just chaff....

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Or A6

Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Against a poor driver and on the 60 ft because of GM nanny's protecting the drivetrain.

Roll down with an auto vs a good stick driver the stick should still win they surely still dyno more and we will see when I see an Auto on the road.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

Auto for me--why screw around with shifting. Heck you can use the paddles if you want. Even Porsche GT3 is only coming in PDK (automatic) only. I can't stand driving stick (and yes, I've owned them) anymore.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

I have owned 6 vetts prior to ordering my c7. the only one that was manuel was my 67 vert. my preference is auto. as has been said, it is vehicle owner preference. I feel the extra money i am spending on the auto, to me, is worth it, I will not be drag racing, or do any type of racing, again, my preference. nuf said...

Quick Reply: Manual Or A6