C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratch on my C7 windshield. How do I remove it?

Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Scratch on my C7 windshield. How do I remove it?

I noticed a scratch on my windshield. There must of been some type of granular material under the wiper. It is a half moon on the drivers side. I just washed the car but I can still see it. It is not deep at all, I can hardly feel it when i rub my fingernail over it.

Any suggestions how to get it out?

I was going to put some wax on my buffer and buff it a bit

let me know

Thanks

Al
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM
whitec7
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 234 Posts

toothpaste, takes awhile and rube hard. But it will work.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If you can feel it, probably can 't polish it out. There is a pumice compound available at glass shops that you can purchase. The pumice is mixed with water into a paste then the hand polishing begins with a special polishing block. Takes a lot of rubbing.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

About 200 strokes and from the auto parts store:
Old 02-02-2014, 02:37 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Griot's Garage (and others) sell a mild glass polish. If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail you should be able to polish it out.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Take it to a glass shop / auto windshield repair shop. They will be able to polish it out.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks. For the replies
Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 AM
bfppt1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Same thing...

Originally Posted by Stingray Al
Thanks. For the replies
Hello, I just noticed the same exact thing on a my car that is like six weeks old, never been in the rain, and I used the wipers once with spray. A "tracing" on the glass that I have never seen on any Corvette or any car I have ever had. I examined the wiper and found nothing.

I am very frustrated with GM in general and now this mess.

May I ask if the OP (Stingray Al) got the scratch out without replacing the windshield? Or what happened?

I am afraid to use the wipers at this point.

Thank you.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

That sucks. Wonder how debris got caught on the wiper blade and caused a mark. My truck sits out at the airport for weeks, dirty as all get out, hit the window washers and never a mark. Might as well use the wipers, may even polish the mark? Sometimes I think we are so careful that in the end just more damage is seen. Normal driving and wiper use probably would polish defect out and you would never know it had happened. I have seen light wiper abrasion on driven cars.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:29 AM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

I have about 10 small 2" scratches on my windshield too. There is no consistent pattern and I can't figure out how they got there.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:30 AM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the same problem - half moon scratch- outside edge of the wiper on the drivers side with only a few hundred miles on it. I had only driven it in the rain once- slowly at a Christmas parade. I took it to the dealer since the car was so new but was told Chevy does not cover windshield scratches - I had them look at the wiper blade /arm for any abnormality but they found none. We should watch and see if this becomes a more common occurrence - I have a owned a lot of cars, driven in a lot of rain and never had this happen in 50 years -so I am suspicious. I could feel it - It would not polish out and I had to have a new windshield put in. If you do the same, be sure to have them hide your radar detector power wire in the trim - they have great access with the glass out.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:35 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You can buy Cerium Oxide on Ebay.
It is abrasive enough to polish glass, but will not leave any more scratches.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:26 PM
bfppt1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingRaycer
I have had the same problem - half moon scratch- outside edge of the wiper on the drivers side with only a few hundred miles on it. I had only driven it in the rain once- slowly at a Christmas parade. I took it to the dealer since the car was so new but was told Chevy does not cover windshield scratches - I had them look at the wiper blade /arm for any abnormality but they found none. We should watch and see if this becomes a more common occurrence - I have a owned a lot of cars, driven in a lot of rain and never had this happen in 50 years -so I am suspicious. I could feel it - It would not polish out and I had to have a new windshield put in. If you do the same, be sure to have them hide your radar detector power wire in the trim - they have great access with the glass out.
After reading a ton on the internet, I think replacing the window or living with it are the only two realistic options. May I ask, when you had your window replaced, was that a HUGE deal or, is it something that can be done without causing additional problems (leaks, etc.)? I have to find something to worry about :-) thank you.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

Default windshield wiper scratch/windshield replaced

Originally Posted by bfppt1
After reading a ton on the internet, I think replacing the window or living with it are the only two realistic options. May I ask, when you had your window replaced, was that a HUGE deal or, is it something that can be done without causing additional problems (leaks, etc.)? I have to find something to worry about :-) thank you.
No one could get the scratch out - the quote from every attempt was if you can feel it with your finger nail, it will not be correctable. I found that to be true so I had to go with the replacement option because the scratch was annoying and it killed me to have it on my brand new car.
It was an all day job according to the glass guys - they said there are 15 wires coming out of the mirror assembly. I was not sure if they were accurate or just guessing. Anyway , they did a great job - it looks as good as new , no leaks , no wind noise, no left over glue spots - it looks just like it did when I took delivery. I am just apprehensive about using the wipers now - especially after hearing that others have experienced the same thing. I have zero proof but I just have a gut feeling something other than a foreign object on the driverside wiper - caused that scratch. If it happens again, I doubt my insurance will cover it twice. I am going to stay tuned to the forum to see if more reports show up.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 PM
LukeAnakin
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Griot's Garage (and others) sell a mild glass polish. If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail you should be able to polish it out.
BigJoe, thank you much for that Post and Info as I was unaware of this Product...

LA
Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 AM
bfppt1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingRaycer
No one could get the scratch out - the quote from every attempt was if you can feel it with your finger nail, it will not be correctable. I found that to be true so I had to go with the replacement option because the scratch was annoying and it killed me to have it on my brand new car.
It was an all day job according to the glass guys - they said there are 15 wires coming out of the mirror assembly. I was not sure if they were accurate or just guessing. Anyway , they did a great job - it looks as good as new , no leaks , no wind noise, no left over glue spots - it looks just like it did when I took delivery. I am just apprehensive about using the wipers now - especially after hearing that others have experienced the same thing. I have zero proof but I just have a gut feeling something other than a foreign object on the driverside wiper - caused that scratch. If it happens again, I doubt my insurance will cover it twice. I am going to stay tuned to the forum to see if more reports show up.
Thanks very much for the information and glad to hear the car is back to normal. May I ask what glass company you used to replace the glass. I cannot feel the scratch, even with a razor blade... but like you said it's a new car and if it cannot be fixed, then I will probably replace it. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:32 PM
ZEEGS
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default The exact same problem

I just had the exact same problem. 1,300 miles on my VY C7 and I have a half moon scratch on the drivers side. I can feel it with my fingernail.
This was only the first or second time that I have used the wipers. I can't remember. My car was spotless and I got caught in the rain on I95 in GA.

Get notified of new replies

To Scratch on my C7 windshield. How do I remove it?

Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

These three identical scratch situations makes one wonder if there is some design issue with the blade. I wonder how many cars nationwide have experienced this. This blanket statement by GM that they don't cover windshield scratches is very arbitrary and gives them no way to keep track of how many times this is happening.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I have a scratch in my back window and with the tint man it bugs me. Took it to 2 glass places...both said they could make it better but can't get rid of it....you can feel it with your finger.

I took some scratch remover and it did not do much. But I have an old can of rubbing compound .... real aggressive stuff. I gently tried some of this and it worked pretty good. Have 20 % tint in the rear window so it really showed. I'm happy enough with it no need to do more.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I have a scratch in my back window and with the tint man it bugs me. Took it to 2 glass places...both said they could make it better but can't get rid of it....you can feel it with your finger.

I took some scratch remover and it did not do much. But I have an old can of rubbing compound .... real aggressive stuff. I gently tried some of this and it worked pretty good. Have 20 % tint in the rear window so it really showed. I'm happy enough with it no need to do more.
Rubbing compound will end up leaving more scratches that you can see in the glass. You need a fine polishing compound, like the cerium oxide I suggested, that is hard enough to polish glass but is optical quality so it will not leave visible scratches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch on my C7 windshield. How do I remove it?