✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Maximus68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Here's the thing...

If you have 1 RKE and add a new RKE, it becomes #3. It does not have all of the memory functions that the initial RKEs 1 & 2 had when the car was delivered.

If you only have 1 RKE and you want to add a new RKE to act as #2 WITH the memory functions, then you must do the long method. The long method clears the old RKE and starts anew when it gets into programming mode and the first RKE in the slot at programming becomes RKE #1, the second RKE in the slot becomes #2.

Pay attention to ALL of the NOTES in RED!

So, answering your question, yes, you are reprogramming the existing RKE. If you only have 1 RKE, the missing RKE will operate in your car. After you do the long program, that RKE is unable to work your car and the 2 RKEs you end up with are RKE 1 & 2.

Got it
Last question
What is the story about in the manual that says place the working FOB in the cup holder to program a new FOB.

Programming with a Recognized Transmitter
A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there is one recognized transmitter.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:55 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Those instructions are adding RKEs 3 - 8.

If I recall, the long program says NO RKEs can be anywhere near the car when you begin the key turning.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Can we call it the RKE Transmitter as that's the actual name used by GM for the Fob. RKE stands for Remote Keyless Entry which is the system not the item you hold in your hand.

Minor detail, but it's important.
The following users liked this post:
Johnp94 (11-24-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:58 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Can we call it the RKE Transmitter as that's the actual name used by GM for the Fob. RKE stands for Remote Keyless Entry which is the system not the item you hold in your hand.

Minor detail, but it's important.
Is that better?

Thank you for your comment.

Elmer
Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Some more information on the RKE system:

The SI doc 3419117 on the keyless entry description and operation does provide this information. “When an exterior touch pad is pressed, the low frequency antenna sends out a challenge to the keyless entry transmitter. Because of the low frequency, communication range is limited. The antenna will emit the challenge in a one meter range. The transmitter must be within this range to receive the challenge. The transmitter receives this challenge and emits it's response as an RF message, which is received by the remote control door lock receiver. If the response is correct, entry into the vehicle will be allowed.”

“A low transmitter battery or radio frequency interference from aftermarket devices, such as 2-way radios, power inverters, computers, 12 V power outlet USB adapters, etc., may cause a system malfunction.”

The keyless start description and operation shows “When the ignition mode switch is pressed, the low frequency antennas emit a challenge to the keyless entry transmitter. The transmitter receives this challenge and emits it's response as an RF message, which is received by the remote control door lock receiver. If the response is correct, vehicle starting will be allowed. If RF communication is interrupted, a “No Remote Detected” message will be displayed on the driver information center.

In these cases, the transmitter can be placed in the transmitter pocket located on the steering column. The immobilizer antenna coil is located near the transmitter pocket. Placing the transmitter in the pocket will create a low powered coupling between the transmitter and immobilizer antenna, allowing communications to occur and enabling vehicle starting.”

Elmer
Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Scenerio:
-Lost keyFOB;
-Get to car but no FOB;
-Use my SmartPhone OnStar APP to open door;
-No FOB available...how to start car and drive?

-Keep a spare FOB (without battery) in car hidden where only I know it exists.
-Use hidden FOB in steering column to start car!
-ALT: Extra battery for FOB in "glove compartment" which can be used in hidden FOB.

Is this ok?

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 08-08-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Scenerio:
-Lost keyFOB;
-Get to car but no FOB;
-Use my SmartPhone OnStar APP to open door;
-No FOB available...how to start car and drive?

-Keep a spare FOB (without battery) in car hidden where only I know it exists.
-Use hidden FOB in steering column to start car!
-ALT: Extra battery for FOB in "glove compartment" which can be used in hidden FOB.

Is this ok?
It'll work. I hesitate to leave a functioning FOB that would start my car actually in the car. It might be found by a thief and that'd allow your car to leave.

You don't need a battery in the FOB to start the car so a spare battery would be fine if you had your FOB battery go dead.

Elmer
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks Elmer!

Yes, I will keep the spare battery in the car.
Just wondering if I happened to lose the FOB then what?
I will keep the backup FOB (w/o bat) in a very hidden location in the car...just in case!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

What's the difference between losing your fob and (30 years ago) losing the key? Same diff. If it's hidden well enough, no typical thief is going to find it, not to mention spend 15 minutes tearing the car apart looking for something that may not be there while the alarm is going off.

I've never once lost a key or a fob, so the worse scenario for me has been to lock the fob in the car, and for that I had a spare metal key made so that I could open the hatch on my C6. I haven't gotten around to doing it for the C7 yet.

Yes, it happens. The car doesn't recognize that the fob is in the car and automatically locks. This is not foolproof technology.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:44 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Apparently, things have changed for the '17. You can only program a new remote if you already have TWO recognized remotes. If you only have one, you have to reprogram both the recognized one and the new one.

I have to do this since I misplaced the second remote. Hopefully the programming method in the owner's manual will work because at one point in the process the recognized remote is no longer recognized....it has to be relearned. It would suck of the method doesn't work and neither remote worked.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Apparently, things have changed for the '17. You can only program a new remote if you already have TWO recognized remotes. If you only have one, you have to reprogram both the recognized one and the new one.

I have to do this since I misplaced the second remote. Hopefully the programming method in the owner's manual will work because at one point in the process the recognized remote is no longer recognized....it has to be relearned. It would suck of the method doesn't work and neither remote worked.
Ford has been this way since at least 2000. Stupid.

It forces you to always have three fobs in case you lose one, or use the long programming for no recognized fob. I can think of no security reason for this, just another way for GM to glean some bucks off of owners.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Ford has been this way since at least 2000. Stupid.

It forces you to always have three fobs in case you lose one, or use the long programming for no recognized fob. I can think of no security reason for this, just another way for GM to glean some bucks off of owners.
The reason for needing two keys is so that someone can't "lift" your key, go to your car, make a copy, and then "return" your original key.

This would allow that person extra access to your car.

But hey, if you think having two keys is bad, you should see what BMW makes you do. You need to have they key "pre-learned" with your VIN before it will actually learn in your car. Guess who is allowed to "pre-learn" the VIN in the first 3 years after the car is released, you guessed it, the BMW Dealer. So you can't even get out of paying $300 for a key until then.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:11 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV

Are you sure? You can add up to 8 remotes BUT only remotes 1 & 2 have the memory capability. If you lose a FOB, then in order to get a 2nd memory FOB you would need to do the long format and basically erase the good FOB you have and then the first FOB you enter to program is #1 and the second FOB you program is #2. If you have 1 FOB and use the Short "Add a FOB", the new FOB becomes #3 and has no memory functions.

I doubt anything has changed.

Elmer
Old 09-10-2017, 07:27 PM
owc6
Team Owner

That's what I thought, too, so I googled it:

It's on p. 29:

"Programming with Recognized Transmitters

A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there are two recognized transmitters."

Old 09-10-2017, 08:08 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by owc6
That's what I thought, too, so I googled it:

It's on p. 29:

"Programming with Recognized Transmitters

A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there are two recognized transmitters."

Don't be sad. I read that to simply say you can add a 3rd FOB without memory.

Nothing has changed.

The instructions are correct.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-10-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:38 PM
owc6
Team Owner

The wording is not the same as prior years in the OM, however.

Whether it actually requires two fobs or not is something someone with a '17 will have to tell us. Hopefully you are correct.

Last edited by owc6; 09-10-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Are you sure? You can add up to 8 remotes BUT only remotes 1 & 2 have the memory capability. If you lose a FOB, then in order to get a 2nd memory FOB you would need to do the long format and basically erase the good FOB you have and then the first FOB you enter to program is #1 and the second FOB you program is #2. If you have 1 FOB and use the Short "Add a FOB", the new FOB becomes #3 and has no memory functions.

I doubt anything has changed.

Elmer
I think it has been changed for the '17. The DIC will only go into "remote learning please wait" mode after turning the trunk key five times whether there is a key fob in the cupholder or not. It will not go into "ready for remote #."

Based on the instructions in the owners manual, it will not do the quicker programming mode unless I have two known key fobs. I only have one. I have not tried the 30 minute relearning process yet, but I will. The dealer want's $150.00 to program the new key fob. They charged me over $100 for just the key itself and for cutting it. This did not include the fob, which I purchased separately. Also, the "column test" operation does not work either since it never goes into "ready for remote"" mode. It goes directly into "remote learning mode, which is a 30 minute process. The guy in service also told me that the process in the owners manual will not work with a new key fob, only a key fob that has lost its programming. Sounds like BS to me.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 09-11-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Todd McMullen (11-25-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To ✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE

Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 AM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all, thanks for posting the info.

I posed this on a new thread yesterday but didn't get any responses.
My son has a 2014 coupe and recently purchased a second fob on EBay. He followed the instructions in the manual and those posted here without success. When in programming mode the car does not recognize the new fob or the existing fob when they are placed in the column. He took the car to his local dealer who could not get the new fob programmed. The car is apparently now throwing the following code:

DTC B2955 Security Sensor Data Circuit. Clearing the code did not solve the problem

The existing FOB still works when the car is not in program mode.

Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2017, 09:27 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Guessing here:

There is a test that can be done to make sure the slot is working. Step 3

Then the question of the absolute correct part number of the new FOB

Then, do you actually get to the programming mode? In the long program, you have wait 10 minutes, then do something and then wait another 10 minutes before you actually insert the FOB to begin programming.

Then, what are you trying to do? Add the FOB as #3 (Step 6) or Reprogram the old FOB and add the new FOB as #2 (step 8)? Short program (Step 6) to add as 3#, long program (step 8) to add as #2.

All instructions in there must be followed. As in NO FOB must be anywhere close to the car for the long version to work. There are lots of items in red and they are in red for a reason. They are "gotta do" things or restrictions.

Elmer
4rensic22 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:12 AM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Elmer -

The car only came with one FOB. I am not sure if my son is trying to add it as #2 or #3. I will forward your reply to him and we will be visiting him later today. I may be able to post an update.

Thanks again

Brad

Quick Reply: ✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE