Sponsored by:

dealer won't show me the car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Default dealer won't show me the car.

George moore Chevrolet in jacksonville fla finally had a vette last friday. I've stopped by too many times to even count and they've never had one. so last friday they had a black on black on black. I commented to the salesman that i wanted a red vert but this is the first 14 vette model i've seen at a dealership and i wanted a peak. He would not open the vehicle for me to sit in/look at. true, it was not the one I want but it's all they had. The also refused to unlock the 12 model 2 years ago, sitting inside their showroom. I don't have the $70k for the b/b/b, but i do have $53k cash i''ve been socking back just for a vette. i'm close to 100% sure i'll never stop in that dealership again.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If it is a customers car most dealerships will not let anyone else sit in it.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
If it is a customers car most dealerships will not let anyone else sit in it.

Unfortunately not all salesmen are astute enough to explain that to the customer in a way that shows they are protecting another customer's car.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
George moore Chevrolet in jacksonville fla finally had a vette last friday. I've stopped by too many times to even count and they've never had one. so last friday they had a black on black on black. I commented to the salesman that i wanted a red vert but this is the first 14 vette model i've seen at a dealership and i wanted a peak. He would not open the vehicle for me to sit in/look at. true, it was not the one I want but it's all they had. The also refused to unlock the 12 model 2 years ago, sitting inside their showroom. I don't have the $70k for the b/b/b, but i do have $53k cash i''ve been socking back just for a vette. i'm close to 100% sure i'll never stop in that dealership again.
Two weeks ago The salesman from George Moore Chev called me to say they just received a Crystal Red Convertible. Sounded like it was what I would have ordered, we drove 85 miles to see it and drove it home. The sales dept. was the best ever, can't say the same for the service dept. Daytona had a yellow Z51 about a month ago, but wouldn't let anyone sit in it because it was a sold car. I wouldn't want people sitting in my ordered car or driving it.
Capt Bob
Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by v8capt
Two weeks ago The salesman from George Moore Chev called me to say they just received a Crystal Red Convertible. Sounded like it was what I would have ordered, we drove 85 miles to see it and drove it home. The sales dept. was the best ever, can't say the same for the service dept. Daytona had a yellow Z51 about a month ago, but wouldn't let anyone sit in it because it was a sold car. I wouldn't want people sitting in my ordered car or driving it.
Capt Bob
I totally agree!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
It was likely sold. He was doing what you'd want done if it had been your car that came in, and other people wanted to sit in it all day long. Sounds like a good dealer to me.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have to agree, if the car is already purchased most dealers will not let you or anyone sit in it. A local dealer in my area keep the pre-ordered cars covered in the back lot until just before the owner came in for pick up. have their per-orders were filled the did put the for sale C7 on the showroom floor and you could sit in them.

Now if the C7 was for sale this dealership needs some customer service training. I would not worry about that dealership. If you have cash money contact one of the forum dealers. You can most likely have the deal done in less then an hour.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand not letting you sit in it but not even opening the door so you could look at the very cool interior? That I don't understand!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I really don't see why they couldn't open the door so you could see inside, but I can understand if they didn't want anyone to sit in the car provided it was already sold. At a minimum the salesperson could have explained his refusal to open the door.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

If they "finally got one in". My guess is that this dealer has very few allocations. Perhaps if were to order from them, in 6 months we would be reading another, "Dude, where's my car?" thread.

If local is important to you, I would be almost positive that there is a Chevy dealer nearby that does alot more Corvette sales, and has some on the floor open for your inspection. I know that here there is one dealer, near me, that has several on the floor, open to the public, and heck, they'll even start it up, right there in the showroom for ya. They even have verts, unsold on display. Check around, Jacksonville is big enough, I'm sure there is one such dealer near you.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I get it, if the car was spoken for. But they could have opened up the car to let you look at everything.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

i totally agree. the salesman said it was sold, yet the guy had not seen it and had not placed a deposit... just a guy on the phone...
If it was sold, then it should have been in the back lot away from the public. this dealer is near me. theer is one other in town that i also refuse to deal with so i will have to fly to buy.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

What a bunch of car dealer nonsense. Wait a year when they are begging you to look at them and they have 6 or 8 thousand dollar discounts. It always goes this way.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the complete opposite experience. I went to the dealer just to look at the green color that I'd not seen in person yet. They had one available (so this was not a sold car, big difference) but not only did the sales guy open the car to let me sit in it, he threw me the fob and said to take for a test drive. I about dropped my chin to the floor.
I guess he knew what he was doing as I wound up buying the car and driving it home. And it was the test drive that convinced me...
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the dealer and the individual that you're dealing with. Month or so ago I called my contact, whom I've bought previous vehicles from at Bryan Chevrolet, about the C-7. Said they had none in stock, but would call me if one came in. Couple of weeks later he calls, and said (on a Wednesday) that they had one on the showroom that the purchaser would pick up on the weekend. Went there, and with the exeption of sitting in it, opened it completely up-was locked-and let me take a good look, touch, feel see. Those are the good guys. Other dealers are a$$holes.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds a lot like Paul Conte Chevrolet. Except their C7's weren't sold, they just said no because they don't let people touch them until they buy them.

Get notified of new replies

To dealer won't show me the car.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
Sounds a lot like Paul Conte Chevrolet. Except their C7's weren't sold, they just said no because they don't let people touch them until they buy them.
Yeah, nice. Sounds like "We can read the bill after Congress passes it".
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM
tomarsyd
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Another Jacksonvillian here.
I've thought about going to see one a local dealer as well, but they never seem to have any, so I knew they'd be off limits even if they did have one. I almost expected to see the price gouging that we read about a lot on here as well.

This weekend is the Jax Auto Show, so I'm looking forward to seeing the one on display there, though I'm sure it'll be an "eyes only" display. I'm fine with that and understand it.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I bet it was a sold car. My car will be sitting on the dealer floor for about a month behind a rope. If I walked in and someone was sitting in the car I would be beyond pissed. The dealer would not let that happen. It is likely the same issue here. If so, however, the salesperson should have told you why and then it would have been no big deal. Their bad.

Quick Reply: dealer won't show me the car.