Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

See where Dave Ramsey

Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default See where Dave Ramsey

picked up a new C7 with R8C Museum Delivery!

Red w/Blk rims
Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

See it where?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Screw Ramsey

I called his show like 5 years ago asking him it I should buy a c6 even though I had the cash. Granted I only made like 40k a year back then. He told me the car was to much money into one vehicle with my income.

I bought the corvette I wanted six months later. Now I'm getting a new c7 ! Granted maybe I shouldn't have purchased that c6 but the most fun choices in life usually are not the smartest ! I do make a lot more money then back then as well.

I do like Dave though he should be proud of me the c7 is being paid for in full up front !

Last edited by Waytofastvette2006; 02-06-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Saw it

in my National Corvette Museum E-news email today

Also just saw it here: http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/...rvette-museum/

Last edited by fredl11; 02-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:10 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Financial advisor on talk radio
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Dave's not a spring chicken. See what he had to say about paying for it. I'm sure he takes his own financial advice. I wonder how many spring chickens could purchase one if they took Dave's advice?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006
Screw Ramsey

I called his show like 5 years ago asking him it I should buy a c6 even though I had the cash. Granted I only made like 40k a year back then. He told me the car was to much money into one vehicle with my income.

I bought the corvette I wanted six months later. Now I'm getting a new c7 ! Granted maybe I shouldn't have purchased that c6 but the most fun choices in life usually are not the smartest ! I do make a lot more money then back then as well.

I do like Dave though he should be proud of me the c7 is being paid for in full up front !
Based on your Q, if you were to also have told Dave that you had; A) No debt, and B) You were worth $1 Million+ in net worth, then you'd be OK buying a new (not used) car paying cash for it.

What Dave's advice on cars is that the total of ALL your vehicles' paid for value should not exceed 1/2 your annual income. IF I recall his consistent advice correctly, then in his expert opinion, your total vehicles paid for, shouldn't exceed $20,000.00.

IMO, if your net worth with no debt whatsoever eclipsed $1 Mil. I say go for it, IF you are paying CASH - regardless your income. You've done a good enough job to buy new and what you want, if you were that exceptional with $.

Dave gives great advice to mostly clueless ppl when it comes to their financial scr#w-ups they've made.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-09-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Don't know this guy--but congrats to him.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Joe hit it on the head. My Financial people don't like a lot of his ideas but I sleep a lot better with no debt. I'm disappointed XM dropped him and Clear channel over Clear Channel selling off XM stock
Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter worked for him for the past 6 years and only left this fall when she and her husband moved to Chicago...He's a really decent guy to work for and his books and programs have helped many us lead a debt free life...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Based on your Q, if you were to also have told Dave that you had; A) No debt, and B) You were worth $1 Million+ in net worth, then you'd be OK buying a new (not used) car paying cash for it.

What Dave's advice on cars is that the total of ALL your vehicles' paid for value should not exceed 1/2 your annual income. IF I recall his consistent advice correctly, then in his expert opinion, your total vehicles paid for, shouldn't exceed $20,000.00.

IMO, if your net worth with no debt whatsoever eclipsed $1 Mil. I say go for it - regardless your income. You've done a good enough job to buy new and what you want, if you were that exceptional with $.

Dave gives great advice to mostly clueless ppl when it comes to their financial scr#w-ups they've made.
See I agree ( mostly ) I hate debt and have none actually. I make more than I used to But I'm way way short of having a mill in net worth.

So this means I shouldn't buy a new c7 ? I'm 30 at the moment were thinking about having kids soon. The way I look at it this is my chance to get my first actual brand new vehicle. Somehow I feel like when kids get injected into the picture getting a toy like the c7 will be out of the picture.

His info for the masses is good though. To me it just seems depressing to think I can't purchase a new vehicle that I've worked very hard to be able to afford until I have a net worth of a million
Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 PM
FOOTR 1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go Dave! My wife and I listen to Dave all the time. I'm only sorry I missed picking mine up on the same day by 3. Gotta love a debt free barefoot water skier that drives a Corvette. Congrats on the new ride! Life's good!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See I agree ( mostly ) I hate debt and have none actually. I make more than I used to But I'm way way short of having a mill in net worth.

So this means I shouldn't buy a new c7 ? I'm 30 at the moment were thinking about having kids soon. The way I look at it this is my chance to get my first actual brand new vehicle. Somehow I feel like when kids get injected into the picture getting a toy like the c7 will be out of the picture.

His info for the masses is good though. To me it just seems depressing to think I can't purchase a new vehicle that I've worked very hard to be able to afford until I have a net worth of a million
Dave has some good advice, but is very generic and often a little off the mark. Very few people have a million $ saved, especially when 30 yrs old. So that's not the test.

Decide for yourself if you can afford it. Ask yourself a few questions that might give you a clue. Do you have a high income? Is your income increasing quickly? Is your job stable? Does your wife have a decent stable job? Do you have enough money to pay cash for it, or most of it? Can you pay cash for half and still have 4-6 months of cash left for emergencies? Do you have other major expenses coming up like new roof, kitchen, new wife's car, etc? Are you saving in a 401k? Can you keep that up? Answer these and similar questions and you will have the vette answer.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Hebstar11
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Congratulations! Although I am getting black this time, "All Corvettes are red."
Old 02-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

When I was 25 years old, I had zero debt and lived in an apartment. I took 1/2 my net worth ($11K) and paid cash for a new C3 Corvette. The new Corvette was not my DD, I had an old POS Cadillac I drove for work on-the-road.

Could I afford the new Corvette? Obviously, yes, but what that did was risk 50% of my net worth on a silly car, even though it was paid for in full, in-cash.

Today, I'm in my 60s, no debt, home 100% paid for 15 years ago, substantial net worth, and considering my 2nd new Corvette after 38 years since buying my 1st one. Am I a fool? Yeah, I guess I am, but I like you want one.

What you AND I need to keep in mind is that the more we spend on toys (like a C7) even for cash, the less cushion we have in cash reserves. It increases your risk insofar as it diminishes your liquid assets. Only you and your spouse can weigh out the odds on how far you want to be into spending on play toys like the new Corvette, versus socking it away investing in the stock market or income producing real estate instead......

After paying cash for the C3 in 1976, I sold it 2.5 years later, and plowed it back into the stock market - where it has grown many times over and remains today - more than enough to pay cash for another new Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To See where Dave Ramsey

Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 AM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My 7th grader had a personal finance and economics class and Dave was featured prominently. 95% of the program was excellent (love it when my son comes home and says he wants a money market account) - there were a couple of odd / aggressive sections (women and men view money differently - lotteries are taxes on people who can't do math) but then again I agreed with them.

I'm buying my first Corvette, my first two door actually and my first toy car. I'm early 50s, I have the mil in the bank and make a 1% income so I've been able to afford a toy for a long time. That said, I have a kid in University, have a wedding to save for (someday not too soon I hope) and another guy to put through school.

It's all choices and tradeoffs.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, if Dave Ramsey bought one, then it must be a good value.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:33 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Joe hit it on the head. My Financial people don't like a lot of his ideas but I sleep a lot better with no debt. I'm disappointed XM dropped him and Clear channel over Clear Channel selling off XM stock
As long as the guy's net worth exceeds $1 Million, he has NO debt, AND is paying CASH for the new Corvette......I don't care if he's unemployed or in jail......he's demonstrated exceptional skills and habits with $ to have become a debt-free millionaire......if he wants a new Corvette that badly, I say go fer it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: See where Dave Ramsey