Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will headers void warranty

Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM
jiperri
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Will headers void warranty

I was considering putting some headers on my C7 and have been told by a Chevrolet dealer that if I did it would void my warranty. Some of the people that sell the headers tell me it varies from dealer to dealer. Kind of confusing to say the least.
Does anyone know if putting headers on my C7 will void my warranty. Thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

It depends on your dealer.

I know that's not what you were wanting to hear. Some dealers will overlook the fact that you have headers on the car unless they can give good reason that those were the cause of any problems you had. Talk to the service manager at your dealership, or go around to a few dealerships and ask them the same question.

Just know that any aftermarket performance parts you add may have an affect on your warranty.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jiperri
I was considering putting some headers on my C7 and have been told by a Chevrolet dealer that if I did it would void my warranty. Some of the people that sell the headers tell me it varies from dealer to dealer. Kind of confusing to say the least.
Yes it will void some of your warranty. It also can cause other problems with warranty work. My 05 C6 has headers and when I took mine in to have the clutch master cylinder replaced the dealer stated it would be an extra charge since the headers would cause more work for the tech when bleeding the system. I ordered a new master cylinder from a different dealer and installed it myself. While I understand GM doesn't pay great for warranty work I didn't want to give them a penny after telling me that.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM
jiperri
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems strange that some dealers are ok with it and others are not.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Seems strange that some dealers are ok with it and others are not.
IF you have the dealer install the headers then most likely they will warranty the work and any problems. However, if the headers cause extra work during the warranty time it would be only fair that you pay for that extra time the mechanic needs.
The following users liked this post:
Farva0066 (01-10-2024)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 906 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

It ok with some and not with others because the dealer makes the decision and the mfr goes along with it. But a mfr can "call for the parts", and you have to produce them. The mfr can then re nig the payment if the parts don't show it's legit.

So some dealers say no to avoid the hassle.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Alysha
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by Alysha; 02-07-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The tune will be the thing that voids a powertrain warranty.

In the even of a catastrophic failure, the dealer gets taken out of the picture. Regional reps from GM get involved and the techs will send evidence of no foul play to GM when authorizing a replacement engine.

If the flash counter/checksum whatever other evidence from the ECM doesn't match the replacement will be denied in most cases.

This won't effect your warranty as far as electronics like radios, window motors, seats, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt26:
Farva0066 (01-10-2024), lawyered (07-06-2016)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

If you play you will pay. The dealer might tell you it's ok but GM has the final say and if they see you been playing around with aftermarket speed enhancers for your engine they will not pay if something goes wrong.
Farva0066 (01-10-2024)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This makes no sense to me that a header system would void a warranty....HOW??

So if you put a cat back system on it voids the warranty? The exhaust performance would only improve the performance of the car, the only logical connection to a failure would be due to a lean condition from a car making more power and the DME not correcting for fuel.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

The other point that I think some owners fail to consider is that some sets of headers delete the set of cats closest to the engine, the cats that probably do most to clean up the exhaust. Hard to think that it’s legal to delete any cats and might, I repeat, might cause you to fail an emissions test.

I love increasing the performance of my cars w/o compromising the warranty as much as the next guy but screwing with the emissions configuration just isn’t right in my view. Don
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

who cares. if something really bad happens to the engine, i'd go out and buy the 480 hp crate motor. and then i would put new headers on that. actually for a few grand more you can buy the 515 crate engine.
Farva0066 (01-10-2024)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by W88fixer
The other point that I think some owners fail to consider is that some sets of headers delete the set of cats closest to the engine, the cats that probably do most to clean up the exhaust. Hard to think that it’s legal to delete any cats and might, I repeat, might cause you to fail an emissions test. .... Don
Don, it is against Federal regulations to remove a cat from any vehicle that was originally equipped with one, about '75 and later. Getting caught without one is a different issue, just responding to your comment.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1

So if you put a cat back system on it voids the warranty? The exhaust performance would only improve the performance of the car, the only logical connection to a failure would be due to a lean condition from a car making more power and the DME not correcting for fuel.
The headers themselves are not what will get you in a pickle.

It is the tune of the ECM that will that pretty much required with long tube headers. Mid-length headers like the ARH ones do not relocate the O2 sensor further downstream like long tubes do, which is what causes the CEL.

This CEL is what you must tune out.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Don, it is against Federal regulations to remove a cat from any vehicle that was originally equipped with one, about '75 and later. Getting caught without one is a different issue, just responding to your comment.
I suspected that was the case but wasn’t confident enough in my belief to state it as a fact. Your response is appreciated.

I really wish that there were easy ways to get performance gains w/o getting crosswise with the dealer or GM but that doesn’t seem to be the case. That “permissible” upgrades aren’t easy to accomplish is probably a compliment to the engine engineers at GM. Don

Last edited by W88fixer; 02-07-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Isnt there something somewhere like maybe the Magnuson Moss warranty act of about 1975 which says its not just the modding of something that will void your warranty but what ever you did must be shown that that change was in fact the reason for your motors problem. I think its been mentioned here on the Forum several times. But I also think when you mod your vehicle and the vehicle is under warranty you are asking for trouble/fight with Chevrolet/GM.
Farva0066 (01-10-2024)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1

Cutbacks are all functionally equivelent, so I don't think they would affect the warranty. Headers, as you mentioned, increase performance. From the GM/dealer point of view, that puts additional strain on the engine and drivetrain. Headers also change the emissions system to one degree or another, sometimes totally eliminating the cats and sensors. For these reasons, the dealer will likely void the warranty on the engine and drivetrain. When I had my C5 with LG headers and cats, the dealer said any warranty work not involving the engine and drivetrain was fine. I even had a $1300 EBMV (brake valve for ABS system) replaced under warranty, but they were adamant that any engine work was on my dime.

Get notified of new replies

To Will headers void warranty

Old 02-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't touch it until the warranty expires.
Farva0066 (01-10-2024)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jontall
I wouldn't touch it until the warranty expires.
I did some minor mods to a couple of my C5's - Halltech intake and Corsa exhaust on one, and Z06 exhaust on my 2002 coupe. Dealer told me "No problem, just don't expect me to fix a part if it breaks." I've left three C6's stock, and have no plans to mod my new C7, which I'm told has a pretty decent header setup already.

As someone said, you will pay to play - and I'm told that if you change the tune, and then flash it back to stock, the dealer can still tell you fiddled with it.

Want more power? Wait for the new Z06, or buy a used ZR1. imho.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

1. A Cat-Back is not the same as a header

2. Your warranty can't and won't be 'voided', the price of the warranty is built into the car. To void the warranty GM would have to return some money. They can, however, deny warranty coverage due to modifications that are directly related to the failure.

3. Magnusson - Moss Act is a joke and is mostly related to air filters, oil, spark plugs and such. While it does say that the manufacture has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure, they will put the onus on you .... who has the deeper pockets and all the technical data, you or GM.

4. Other than a shorty header, all headers, whether federal or California emissions violate federal law by either relocating or by owners deleting the cat convertors.

5. Just because your dealer turns a blind eye to modifications as they relate to the drivetrain or suspension etc. doesn't mean another dealer will or GM. GM has the final say and GM is cracking down on this practice.

While most people believe headers to be a failsafe mod, there have been cases where that hasn't been true.

A. Burned spark plug boots.... easy fix, but still your dime.

B. Headers burn clutch hose that goes from the frame to the slave cylinder, it's happened more than once or twice. Not a cheap or easy fix.

C. Install headers, no tune, burn a valve .... maybe extreme, but in the ever tightening window of emissions and MPG, you decide.

D. You put headers on it and one night you turn off the nannies and get on it and bust the diff from wheel hop. Now this can happen even without headers, but now you have them and the dealer says the headers added too much HP..... who wins this argument.

This is all just food for thought and help the decision making process.
Farva0066 (01-10-2024)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will headers void warranty