Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Enjoyed the well balanced report.
Thank you!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review.

The only negative points you brought up that concern me are the things about the transmission and the paint... Although this:

Originally Posted by Sin City
Fuel mileage is very good. Averaged 23.2 on a cross country trip at high speeds, most of which were over 70 mph the entire time.
Sounds incredibly disappointing to me. I was expecting to get ~23+ in mixed driving, let alone in highway-heavy driving, even at 70+ mph.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Good write up my only comment concerns the clutch I can find gears okay it's the hill hold feature that my young Dr. friend and I have a problem with the jerky release.
z51vett
Doug
Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Good write-up. I agree with most of your points, and experienced many of the same things.

I had a bit of difficulty getting used to the clutch, and it took awhile for my shifter to break in. I reported that it felt very notchy and I had difficulty getting the right gear. I stalled the car several times before I got used to the clutch. After awhile, though, everything smoothed out and I no longer have any problems.
Your experience is encouraging; I was begining to think I had lost the 'touch" in clutching as my new M7 Z51 Coupe performs as you and Sin City report. All else is good, but I am hoping this concern lessens with time. Otherwise, I will investigate the spring release option outlined by HalfMoon.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM
LUPHOLE
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

nice report, photos and follow-ups. thanks sin city---very informative. best of luck with the car.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks for your thorough and useful report.
i am planning to buy a C7 and am finding it slow going to find the
information I need to make up my mind about: Z51 vs. non-Z51? which color, 2014 vs. 2015 ?
Old 03-27-2014, 03:34 AM
2013 427
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Warrior
Thank you for maybe the most honest C7 evaluation I have read on this Forum. Enjoy your car!
After reading through this though, it does reaffirm my decision to forego the first model year of the C7 redesign. The paint issue alone is a deal-breaker for me. Here's hoping the 2015's will have fixed many of these issues. The new Z06 is about the only thing I would consider trading my 60th Anniv 427 for.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Skid Row Joe;1586175852]

FINALLY! Someone answered by demonstrating whether the C7 had BOTH an average speed indicator, AND an hour meter! Just like my Mercedes-Benz!

sincity,

RE: the back and forth of the 4 to 8 cylinders running - the late '70s/ early '80s Cadillac had a; 4/6/8 V8 engine too. It did not work so well as per dependability/functioning properly. [/QUOTE

The 2010-2014 SS Camaro 6.2L auto has the 8/4 system since 2009 . You don't even know when you are in 4 mode when cruising . This is not new technology for the 6.2L engine. You should not feel the change over and it should not switch back and forth on a level highway . Get it checked out
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Originally Posted by Thrill6
I haven't gotten my C7 yet, but it could be the clutch return spring is the same type used on the C6, while you (and me) are used to the clutch spring type they used in the C5. The C5 clutch spring was linear, meaning that the clutch pedal effort is the same for the entire clutch travel. On the C6 they introduced a new clutch return spring so that the pedal effort reduced as you depressed the clutch. Only a feather touch was required to hold the pedal to the floor. I have been driving manual cars for 30 years and after six weeks I still could not get used to the clutch in my C6. The worst was first gear and it was like I didn't know how to drive a manual! I just couldn't get used to the non-linear pedal effort. I ordered a clutch return spring from a C5 and swapped it out and it made a world of difference and is probably the best and cheapest mode I made to my C6.
Has anyone made a C7 clutch assist spring removal and replacement with a C5 spring yet? Is this even doable as was possible on the C6? I still hate the C7 factory clutch action and must modify or buy an A6, or, A8.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

OP - thx for the write-up. I agree with your plusses and minuses, with one exception - I find my clutch to be perfect. I struggled with it on my forst drive home fromthe dealer, not having driven a clutch in a few years, but it only took a couple of days and it is extremely easy to drive, and I like the pedal pressure and length. I assume they are all the same for all cars, but maybe not. I also have the Z51 with MSRC and the ride is great on the freeway. Wife loves it, too.

As for the Orange peel. I have Laguna Blue and a fairly early VIN (1818) and the paint is good but not excellent. I can see minor orange peel in certain light, but it's not pronounced. One thing I do notice (and also saw on cars awaiting delivery at the NCM this week) were minor imperfections in the doors, as if they had been dinged but had no paint damage. I would think the panels could me made perfectly smooth, as the rest of the car. THe imperfections are only in the doors, curiously.

Finally, during our factory tour this week the line was stopped for a goo part of the tour (don't know why) but it was nice to see the quality inspectors reviewing the completed cars with a fine tooth comb, so to speak. If there was any orange peel on those cars, they certainly should have been spotted.

Like you, I am so glad I bought the car. While I was waiting to take the tour a gentleman approached me and spoke to me for several minutes, and asked how I liked my C7. I told him that I not only loved it, but it was my first Corvette and it was also the best car I've ever owned. He introduced himself as 'Dave'. Could have been the Plant Manager Dave Tatman, but I don't know - they looked similar in appearance to photos I have seen, but either way,this man was a gentleman, ambassador of the Corvette and genuinely interested in my comments.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Tulsaeasyrider
Has anyone made a C7 clutch assist spring removal and replacement with a C5 spring yet? Is this even doable as was possible on the C6? I still hate the C7 factory clutch action and must modify or buy an A6, or, A8.

Look for the DIY's in the C6 section. Lots of guys were doing this, or removing the over center spring completely. Comparing photos of the pivot assembly would confirm. I'd guess they're pretty similar if not identical..
Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Originally Posted by Modshack
Look for the DIY's in the C6 section. Lots of guys were doing this, or removing the over center spring completely. Comparing photos of the pivot assembly would confirm. I'd guess they're pretty similar if not identical..
Thanks Modshack. I've printed the pics and description and will be ordering the C5 spring today.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:45 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9

The 2010-2014 SS Camaro 6.2L auto has the 8/4 system since 2009 . You don't even know when you are in 4 mode when cruising . This is not new technology for the 6.2L engine. You should not feel the change over and it should not switch back and forth on a level highway . Get it checked out
Don't worry about Joe. He doesn't own a C7 or even have one on order. He is a nasty troll who does not do much besides bad mouth the car and tell us how superior his MB cars are. Best to not even respond. "Don't feed the trolls."
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM
kz32259
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised to read that some are having problems with the clutch. I picked up my C7 coupe at the museum in mid-march and drove it home to NE Florida. I love the 7 speed and the new clutch. I find it easier to start in 1st than either my c5 or my c6 and I think the shifter is better also.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,576 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Great summary--I was wondering how the trip ended up.

REALLY disappointed about orange peel. I would have hoped by now they would have resolved the paint issues--it's NOT rocket science. That to me is the biggest deal out of all of the down sides you listed. Hopefully you can find a detailer that can help (which you shouldn't have to do).

Glad you have it home and enjoy that awesome machine...
I understand the one area they did NOT update when they prepared BG for the C7 was the paint booth. I understand it is still 1980s technology and VERY worn out.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I like the color
Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Regardng the paint issue, does bad orange peel still exist on VIN #'s on recently produced Corvettes?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by ETHYL
Regardng the paint issue, does bad orange peel still exist on VIN #'s on recently produced Corvettes?
Oh yeah.

Quick Reply: The good and the not-so-good report