Sponsored by:

Tire change

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM
karl2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire change

HI, I have a new corvette Grandsport that came with the ZO7 package. Love it. I called one of the local dealers and asked if they would change the cup 2 tires on the car to the pilot sport tires. I already had the tires. They told me that if i did not buy them from them [ dealer ] that they would not do them. I got them done locally. Is this a practice that Chevrolet is in agreement with?

karl
Old 08-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

That's up to the dealer, just like any other business. With wheels/tires as expensive as these I can see a lot of shops not willing to take the risk of damaging one unless they stand to profit more than the $25/tire mounting fee. With that said, my dealer did allow me to bring in my own tires.

Last edited by Kracka; 08-17-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Sounds like you are being told they are not very good at changing tires.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by karl2
HI, I have a new corvette Grandsport that came with the ZO7 package. Love it. I called one of the local dealers and asked if they would change the cup 2 tires on the car to the pilot sport tires. I already had the tires. They told me that if i did not buy them from them [ dealer ] that they would not do them. I got them done locally. Is this a practice that Chevrolet is in agreement with?

karl
GM has no control over dealer policies like this, since they are independent businesses. I've had tires mounted and balanced several times at my local dealer, which were purchased at Tire Rack. I use them because they have the best Hunter touchless stuff and road force balancing, and they guarantee no wheel damage. It's a dealer by dealer thing.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-17-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

A dealer told me it took them 4 hours to mount two rear tires and suggested a tire shop that had a fancy Corghi tire machine. $40 later and I was good to go. Be careful where you go. If they don’t have a touch-less machine keep looking.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:22 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

Find a shop that has a Hunter Revolution Tire Changer !!!

Old 08-17-2018, 04:32 PM
karl2
Heel & Toe

Default hi

Originally Posted by Kracka
That's up to the dealer, just like any other business. With wheels/tires as expensive as these I can see a lot of shops not willing to take the risk of damaging one unless they stand to profit more than the $25/tire mounting fee. With that said, my dealer did allow me to bring in my own tires.
I agree it is up to the dealer. It`s all about money and not customer relations. also your mounting fee of 25.00 is low as 4 out of 5 told me 50.00 per tire.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:34 PM
karl2
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Sounds like you are being told they are not very good at changing tires.
LOL.....yes, they sell them but don`t want to service them if they can`t make hundreds.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by karl2

karl
Originally Posted by wrecker3
Find a shop that has a Hunter Revolution Tire Changer !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_FzyGqunUE
Need the right machine and tech and the car dealer may not have both! They don't change that many very wide, low profile run flats. The OP may have been better off taking to someone who knew how to remove and install wide, low profile run flats, like those on the rear of a Grand Sport.

The large Chevy, BMW, Mercedes dealer in town was sending those to where I was going and the only ones I trusted to do it right-the 12 service bay Firestone dealer! Even with the best machine it takes a Tech with skill to do it right. That Firestone dealer has ~20 techs and only 2 or 3 are allowed to change wide, low profile tires!

There was a recent post where they had a heck of a time getting the new tire to seal on the rim! The Firestone dealer's touchless machine is near the air compressor. They have other mounting machines that get pipeline supplied air. Need high volume to seal the tire to the wide rim and occasionally some tricks like warming the tire in the sun!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:37 PM
karl2
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
A dealer told me it took them 4 hours to mount two rear tires and suggested a tire shop that had a fancy Corghi tire machine. $40 later and I was good to go. Be careful where you go. If they don’t have a touch-less machine keep looking.
The dealer doesn`t have any competent people to do it.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^

Having watched the Firestone tech fix a flat in my 2014 Z51 rear tire it takes more than a machine. They have a touchless machine but as I said in a previous post only 2 or 3 of the ~20 techs are allowed to change wide, low profile run flats. They don't want the liability of a damaged wheel. I watch from the open bay and give a nice tip when it's done right. Recall the last flat the tech said "sorry it's taking this long!" Told him to take all the time he needs as I want it to be done right. Not a scratch on the rim.

Really can't blame even a GM certified C7 tech. They don't do nearly as many tire changes as a tire shop. There are some tricks and care required.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-17-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire change

Quick Reply: Tire change