★★ warning - c7 z51 cracked tire tread ★★

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Rad22
Does anyone here seriously think GM wanted us to put our cars in storage for months or to have to go out and buy new tires just to drive it in winter?

The non-usability of these tires in cold weather was not disclosed to me at purchase and really makes me wonder if GM owes us a set of usable tires.

Seriously...all this crap about subzero cold weather testing and pics of camouflaged cars in sub zero temps. It was a propaganda and false advertising?

C'mon GM...fess up.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Does anyone here seriously think GM wanted us to put our cars in storage for months or to have to go out and buy new tires just to drive it in winter?

The non-usability of these tires in cold weather was not disclosed to me at purchase and really makes me wonder if GM owes us a set of usable tires.

Seriously...all this crap about subzero cold weather testing and pics of camouflaged cars in sub zero temps. It was a propaganda and false advertising?

C'mon GM...fess up.
These facts are spelled out in plain language in the owners manual. Perhaps you noticed the thick white book in the glove compartment?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
These facts are spelled out in plain language in the owners manual. Perhaps you noticed the thick white book in the glove compartment?
That's BS.

You missed my point. The Owners Manual came WITH THE CAR. It was not a part of the ordering materials or pre order specs. I personally don't think any new car should be sold to anyone with 9 month tires without informing the owner in the presale information and giving the potential buyer options.

And I stand by what I said about all the chest thumping by GM about cold weather testing and sub zero drives. Don't you think they'd have thought about providing us with a 12 month tire option?

Last edited by Rad22; 02-14-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

the problem is however, and I just text Achmed 5 mins ago, those tires were delivered like that.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

That's BS.

You missed my point. The Owners Manual came WITH THE CAR. It was not a part of the ordering materials or pre order specs. I personally don't think any new car should be sold to anyone with 9 month tires without informing the owner in the presale information and giving the potential buyer options.
You mean the same manual that's been available, online both here on the forum, and on Chevy's website for the last six months or so. Where any truly curious potential buyer could study up on his purchase.

Options - Well there are tire stores everywhere. Anyone who thinks a top performing sports car is a suitable winter vehicle in cold climates, without some sort of adaptions, is really sort of naive or gullible.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 AM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure who supplied the rubber for that tire but cheap Chinese rubber will crack in that fashion. They don't seem to use the same chemical process when making rubber. Therefore, it gets brittle and hard in freezing temps.

Fresh rubber, especially tire rubber, should not crack that way. I have owned numerous R-compound drag radials and have driven with them on my car in below freezing temps. Never have I encountered any cracking. I do however make sure the tires ARE NOT made in China. My Nittos have never failed me like the op's did.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You mean the same manual that's been available, online both here on the forum, and on Chevy's website for the last six months or so. Where any truly curious potential buyer could study up on his purchase.

Options - Well there are tire stores everywhere. Anyone who thinks a top performing sports car is a suitable winter vehicle in cold climates, without some sort of adaptions, is really sort of naive or gullible.
I took delivery of my car Sept. 30 and ordered it LONG before any manual was available anywhere. Besides which no one should have to read an owners manual BEFORE ordering their car.

Your argument about a "top performing" sports car is invalid. Anyone purchasing a car anywhere should have the reasonable expectation of being able to drive it on DRY ROADS 12 months a years without changing tires unless informed prior to purchase. Snow, ice...different issue. Cracking and poor traction on DRY ROADS on the ONLY tires available...really? This is reasonable to you?

I have owned over 20 "top performing" sports cars purchased new over the years and this is the first time I've ever encountered this.

I know the reason for it as I stated in a post above. Purely to "get the numbers".

Last edited by Rad22; 02-15-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I think that shows that the tires are filled with nitrogen.

Elmer
I had no idea, thanks for the information.
Even at my advanced Age, I learn something new every day.

I guess that means that my C7 has inferior "air" in the Tires, OMG.

I think I would take a chance that someone might add some regular "air" in my Tires by mistake, rather than having those silly looking things on my Car.

Doesn't matter, because nobody would be touching my Car without me informing them of its "special needs" anyway.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Not sure all this hostility should be aimed at GM. GM didn't produce the tires, although they do need to take responsibility and make whatever corrections are necessary. Perhaps those tires are simply defective and this is an isolated case?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:53 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the C7 needs a zero-pressure all weather option from the factory. They know, or they wouldn't have stopped making Camaro ZL1 and 1LE for the winter months. (Tire weather checking is not covered under any warranty.)
Old 02-15-2014, 04:23 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a Camaro bulletin, but this is another cold weather tire issue. While they are a big improvement over the original F1 Supercar tire, they are not for cold weather use. See bulletin below.

#13-03-10-001: Information on Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 Tire Cold Weather Cracking - (Feb 6, 2013)

Subject: Information on Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 Tire Cold Weather Cracking

Models: 2012-2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS with RPO 1LE

Cold Weather Operation

The Camaro ZL1 and RPO 1LE vehicles come with 285/35ZR20 and/or 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance, track capable summer tires as standard equipment.
Goodyear F1 Supercar Performance tires are a summer season tire and are not intended to be driven on snow, ice or road surfaces below -7°C (20°F).
If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7°C (20°F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Driving the vehicle, when the temperature is below -7°C (20°F), may result in surface cracks in the tread area of the tire. Surface cracks are cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air.

Tire Surface Cracks

Special tread and compounds used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates. Driving with ultra high performance summer tires on snow, ice or cold road surfaces may cause loss of control. Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation.
Tire Storage
It is recommended that Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 tires are stored indoors at temperatures above -7°C (20°F) when not in use. If the tires have been subjected to -7°C (20°F) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 5°C (40°F) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they are installed. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 5°C (40°F). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after being stored.

Customer Information
Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Cracks appear to start in the tread, creeping towards sidewalls.
The fact is that these cracks are appearing at dealerships in new, undelivered cars.
GM is well aware of the issue, yet still delivers cars in extreme cold conditions.
A suitable zero pressure all weather tire should be a factory option.

2014 Corvette MYLINK page 39
C7 tire temp is determined through a variety of parameters including the TPMS
& an algorithm based on ambient temp, solar load & tire tread thickness.
Temp readouts:
Frozen (32° & below)
• Cold (46.4°F to 32°)
• Warm (46.4°F to 104°F)
• Hot (above 104°F)
• Overheated
If driven when FROZEN indicator is ON, COSMETIC CRACKS may appear
in the sidewalls which won't affect tire performance/longevity.

Last edited by C8Jake; 02-15-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I took delivery of my car Sept. 30 and ordered it LONG before any manual was available anywhere. Besides which no one should have to read an owners manual BEFORE ordering their car.

Your argument about a "top performing" sports car is invalid. Anyone purchasing a car anywhere should have the reasonable expectation of being able to drive it on DRY ROADS 12 months a years without changing tires unless informed prior to purchase. Snow, ice...different issue. Cracking and poor traction on DRY ROADS on the ONLY tires available...really? This is reasonable to you?

I have owned over 20 "top performing" sports cars purchased new over the years and this is the first time I've ever encountered this.

I know the reason for it as I stated in a post above. Purely to "get the numbers".
I understand what you are saying but disagree. Don't forget, the temps the car were exposed to were EXTREME. This could happen to other high performance tires in similar conditions and there are lots of other tires (AD-08 come to mind) that warn of the same thing. This wouldn't have happened to these tires if simply driven in normal cold temps... owners living in really cold places (Minnesota, North Dakota, Alberta, Manitoba, Alaska, the Yukon, etc ) should take care. Someone driving the car on a cold, dry street in New Jersey is likely fine... it isn't -20 deg

The car can absolutely be driven in all conditions but you just need to change the tires to do so. It should, IMO, come with the tires it does from the factory because they are consistent with the intent of the car... extreme performance in summer conditions. Anyone who chooses to use the car outside of the conditions intended with the tires should simply swap out the tires.

I also believe the PSS on the Z51 will be MORE problematic as they have an even MORE aggressive rubber compound. Again, that makes sense to me given the intent behind the more track oriented Z51 package (as has been debated here ad nauseam).

Remember folks that all high performance sports cars come with similar tires and similar restrictions. It is simply the name of the game and if you want to use the car 4 seasons long in the north, just change out the tires

Personally, I would MUCH rather have the car with the correct tires for its intended use and then buy another set for poor weather driving. Why handicap the car for 6 months of the year in warm temps with a no-season (I mean all season) tire? Yes, IMO, a no-season tire handicaps the car and is a very noticeable reduction in even street driving... it's a compromise. The real answer is someone driving 12 months a year (in the north) needs two sets of tires which the VAST majority of owners would do. GM's mistake, if they made one, was allowing cars to be delivered in these conditions and now need to replace tires. They should have suspended deliveries to areas during extreme winter conditions when the weather is SO cold that they crack during delivery. We haven't seen or heard of this in more moderately cold places like New York, etc... because it isn't cold enough to be a problem.

Just wait until the Cup tires on the Z06 come out... they will likely crack in weather to cold to wear shorts and t-shirt

Last edited by gthal; 02-15-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
2014 Corvette MYLINK page 39
C7 tire temp is determined through a variety of parameters including the TPMS
& an algorithm based on ambient temp, solar load & tire tread thickness.
Temp readouts:
Frozen (32° & below)
• Cold (46.4°F to 32°)
• Warm (46.4°F to 104°F)
• Hot (above 104°F)
• Overheated
If driven when FROZEN indicator is ON, COSMETIC CRACKS may appear
in the sidewalls which won't affect tire performance/longevity.
Interesting... so it is cosmetic only anyway. I bet they will try not to replace them under warranty because of this. I would personally insist they be replaced because I would be nervous on the track with a cracked tire I'd remind GM that if a tire blows on track would they really want to write that BIG check to my estate?

For most people, based on the above, it should be no issue anyway.

Last edited by gthal; 02-15-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:08 AM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

GM did mention upfront regarding the C7 coming with summer only tires. It is printed and listed in many places on thers brochures and website.

Asking GM to include all season tires is like asking them to offer brush guards, a winch, or a spray in trunk liner.

These vehicles are for a specific use. Maybe we should have some 4x4 vendors on here. Then we can get a lift kit to help us with steep driveways.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:12 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I think the government should mandate health insurance for all. For those that choose to not to participate, they should be fined at an increasing rate.

They also should pay me for not working and feed me. Give me a free cell phone and internet.

Basically, I just want it to take care of me from cradle to grave because I'm not able to doing things for myself, like think.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gthal
I understand what you are saying but disagree. Don't forget, the temps the car were exposed to were EXTREME. This could happen to other high performance tires in similar conditions and there are lots of other tires (AD-08 come to mind) that warn of the same thing. This wouldn't have happened to these tires if simply driven in normal cold temps... owners living in really cold places (Minnesota, North Dakota, Alberta, Manitoba, Alaska, the Yukon, etc ) should take care. Someone driving the car on a cold, dry street in New Jersey is likely fine... it isn't -20 deg

The car can absolutely be driven in all conditions but you just need to change the tires to do so. It should, IMO, come with the tires it does from the factory because they are consistent with the intent of the car... extreme performance in summer conditions. Anyone who chooses to use the car outside of the conditions intended with the tires should simply swap out the tires.

I also believe the PSS on the Z51 will be MORE problematic as they have an even MORE aggressive rubber compound. Again, that makes sense to me given the intent behind the more track oriented Z51 package (as has been debated here ad nauseam).

Remember folks that all high performance sports cars come with similar tires and similar restrictions. It is simply the name of the game and if you want to use the car 12 seasons long in the north, just change out the tires

Personally, I would MUCH rather have the car with the correct tires for its intended use and then buy another set for poor weather driving. Why handicap the car for 6 months of the year in warm temps with a no-season (I mean all season) tire? Yes, IMO, a no-season tire handicaps the car and is a very noticeable reduction in even street driving... it's a compromise. The real answer is someone driving 12 months a year (in the north) needs two sets of tires which the VAST majority of owners would do. GM's mistake, if they made one, was allowing cars to be delivered in these conditions and now need to replace tires. They should have suspended deliveries to areas during extreme winter conditions when the weather is SO cold that they crack during delivery. We haven't seen or heard of this in more moderately cold places like New York, etc... because it isn't cold enough to be a problem.

Just wait until the Cup tires on the Z06 come out... they will likely crack in weather to cold to wear shorts and t-shirt

Get notified of new replies

To ★★ warning - c7 z51 cracked tire tread ★★

Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 AM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GM should offer a winter tire option like the roof option (dual tire). Maybe a set of winter wheels with Blizzak tires for $2000.00. My wife had a Audi S4 and I had to swap the tires every November, I swore next time I would just get a wheel tire package. All deliveries would come with the all seasons and the owner would do the swap.
Hey GM if you do this put $50.00 per set in it for me.
Eric
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I think Michelin makes some of the best tires for any application.
I don't think we are going to see this except in very extreme temps, at least I hope not but time will tell.
I personally think GM put the correct tire on these cars, but I don't live in the north. If I did and wanted to drive the car in very cold weather I would get another set of tires for the conditions. Here is a daily temp chart for Alberto, Canada for Feb. '14 check out the temps and add in some wind chill. -16 F on the 10th with a wind chill as low as -39 degrees F that's seems extreme to me. I am assuming this car was sitting outside. I wouldn't be surprised if other tires on that lot besides Corvettes possibly could have cracks

Last edited by BERETTA; 02-15-2014 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Chuck Mahnke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 244 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm curious as to whether this affects only the tires on cars with the Z51 option? I may be wrong but from what I've been told, there is a difference in the tires that are on the non-Z51 cars. Can someone clarify this for me.

Quick Reply: ★★ warning - c7 z51 cracked tire tread ★★