C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what age are you too old for a Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:48 PM
donsar
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
I believe anyone that has turned 75 should be thinking about handing over the keys.
And I mean all of us that turn 80 or over should not and I didn't stutter should not drive A motor vehicle anywhere in the world.
If ya notice they don't test older peoples reflexes at motor vehicles.Because of the age of the population.To many old people don't want it passed into law.
If you think your driving good at 80 your kidding yourself.Statistics are against you.
Do everyone A favor OLDMAN,let your son or daughter drive you.Use common sense.Oh by the way I'm in my 60's.And yes When I turn 75 or even younger I'm giving the keys up.
Stop being selfish.You are dangerous to not only yourself but to others.Get off the road.
Total BS
It all depends on the individual. Many "younger" drivers should be off the road and their keys confiscated. At 82 I feel totally at ease with 500 hp in a Corvette; my 7th. Age is merely a number. You can be old at 50 and young at 85.:
Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by donsar
Total BS
It all depends on the individual. Many "younger" drivers should be off the road and their keys confiscated. At 82 I feel totally at ease with 500 hp in a Corvette; my 7th. Age is merely a number. You can be old at 50 and young at 85.:
You might think different if you've killed A few people
Old 08-30-2014, 03:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm 72 and I haven't killed anyone. How many have you killed? Want to know the age of the 16 year old kid that killed my best friend back in 1956 while driving his parents 1954 Ford?

As I write this, I received ALL my traffic tickets and had ALL my automobile accidents before I was the age of 29. That means I have not received a single ticket or had a single accident in the past 43 years. Oh...and I drive a 505 HP Z06(10,000 miles in just he past three months) and my daily driver is a peppy little supercharged Mercedes. And I run at over 160 MPH around Talladega without killing anyone or hitting the wall in my Z06.

I sure wouldn't get into a car with many of these so called "skilled" young people with their "superior" reaction time while they are driving over 150 MPH.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-30-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm 71 this October and will out drive most on this forum. Just bought vett #30 2015 z51 mag mn7 and looking at 650 zo6 so yeah just get off the side walks my eye doctor ask why I wear glasses since it's such a weak prescription I want to be in tip top seeing ability I also run 3.5 miles every other day and lift 24,000 ills every other day.
So how agile are you.
z51vett
Doug
Semper FI
Old 08-30-2014, 03:45 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm 72 and I haven't killed anyone. Want to know the age of the 16 year old kid that killed my best friend back in 1956 while driving his parents 1954 Ford?

As I write this, I received ALL my traffic tickets and had ALL my automobile accidents before I was the age of 29. That means I have not received a single ticket or had a single accident in the past 43 years. Oh...and I drive a 505 HP Z06(10,000 miles in just he past three months) and my daily driver is a peppy little supercharged Mercedes. And I run at over 160 MPH around Talladega without killing anyone or hitting the wall in my Z06.

I sure wouldn't get into a car with many of these so called "skilled" young people with their "superior" reaction time while they are driving over 150 MPH.
I understand what your saying.But so many people as their getting older
They are having trouble.Can't turn their neck to see over their shoulder.Many have glaucoma problems not including macular degeneration.We are getting worse as we are getting older.
I took A ride with my 84 year old uncle.He can't judge how fast other cars are going when he's pulling out of traffic.it's scary.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't believe in a set number. It depends on the individual. When you are dead in your grave, it will be too late to drive one, no matter what age you are when you check out of this world.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:57 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I understand what your saying.But so many people as their getting older
They are having trouble.Can't turn their neck to see over their shoulder.Many have glaucoma problems not including macular degeneration.We are getting worse as we are getting older.
I took A ride with my 84 year old uncle.He can't judge how fast other cars are going when he's pulling out of traffic.it's scary.
I hope you took his keys away, then.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:16 PM
xraytom1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
If you are over 65 please post your feelings about this
Got mine right befor I turned 70. Sold my C5 and really love the C7!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Runner717
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
There is age as defined by your birth certificate then there is your age defined by your mental and physical condition. Don't confuse the two.
Still have my 95 5 speed yellow M3,traded in a 09 6 speed CTSV for my A8 Crystel Tincoat Red,3LT Z51 with Chorme Wheels turned 71 in July having a blast
Old 08-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like GM is going to sell 30,000 C7's to old guys this year and the remaining 7,000 to middle aged and younger....
I see a lot of younger guys in BMW and Porsche. And of course mustangs, camaros, and challenger/chargers...

I don't think GM can price the Vette to a younger demographic and the younger people that can afford one don't see it as carrying the same status as other brands in that price range.

I know at some point I will trade it for a luxury car to travel in which would probably be more in line with the size of my ego and be much more realistic...

Young inexperienced drivers can be dangerous and old experienced drivers trying to prove they still have the skills to handle these cars can be just as dangerous...

Just my humble opinion as I know there are many of advanced age on here claiming otherwise...I know it's not enough to just be thankful you still have a car and can get around ....
Old 08-30-2014, 07:44 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

I've killed lot's of people, it just wasn't on the USA.....
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
I've killed lot's of people, it just wasn't on the USA.....
While you were exterminating VC I was in Thailand refueling the fast burners F4's that were coming over there helping you out.Thanks for your service.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

While you were exterminating VC I was in Thailand refueling the fast burners F4's that were coming over there helping you out.Thanks for your service.
F4Es.......yep. I was on hill 881 when the F4Es dropped lots
of napalm.......thank YOU.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Irrespective of age:

On the day you put a higher value on practicality than fun.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:22 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

What's wrong with this country no respect for older generations the know it all because they read it on the internet. Yet most rich folks are old and have experience something the younger generation sees no value in. That is why they make goof ball decisions.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

When I'm dead!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

takes the keys away from all those Corvette owners that are "senior citizens" and the Corvette will vanish.

From my personal experience of being around Corvettes for decades, senior citizens purchase most of the new Corvettes , not the youngsters, and when they trade it in for a newer model, the used, cheaper Corvette is purchased by a youngster and also senior citizens that don't want to buy new(or can't afford to).

Remove the senior citizen from the equation, and their won't be enough new Corvettes sold to keep the Corvette in production.

A good friend(also a senior citizen) drives Corvettes(two 1967's, a C6 ZR1 and a Callaway GS convertible) yet his son(a youngster who works for him) drives a F430. Take the keys away from my friend and that's four Corvettes that won't be seen on the streets(and the loss of future Corvettes sales).

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-31-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To At what age are you too old for a Vette?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

I don't know the ratio,but I do see a lot of people 40-55 purchasing the C7.It might not be
50%.I wouldn't doubt it's near 40%.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I don't know the ratio,but I do see a lot of people 40-55 purchasing the C7.It might not be
50%.I wouldn't doubt it's near 40%.
I have no way of knowing, as do you, what the ratio is, but based on my personal observation of people driving C7, your numbers are not accurate.

We have three C7's in our club out of some 70 Corvettes. All three are owned by senior citizens.

Last month I attended a car show in Hannibal, Missouri(small town about a hundred miles north of St Louis)where there were 160 Corvettes in attendance. Most were C5's and C6's and there were eight C7's in the show. I saw the drivers of seven of the eight C7's and they were all senior citizens. I didn't see eighth C7, so I can't comment about the age of it's owner.

While my observations are based on a small sampling, how large was the sampling that you used to draw your conclusions that the number of 40-55 year olds purchasing the C7 is approaching 50%?

Did you attend any gatherings of Corvettes to get your numbers or did you stand outside of a bunch of dealerships doing your sampling, or did you see two Corvettes driving down the street and one had a under 55 year old driver and the other a senior citizen?

I will agree that the people that belong to Corvette clubs are generally of the older age group and the people that generally enter Corvette car shows are also of the older age group; but that is the only way I can personally get a feel for the age distribution. Notice that I made no statements about percentage of owner driving C7's being senior citizens but relayed by personal observations of the age of the C7 owners.

Maybe someone that has access to the insurance records of all the C7's owners out there can weigh in and tell us the percentage of owners of C7's that fall into the two age groups.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-31-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have no way of knowing, as do you, what the ratio is, but based on my personal observation of people driving C7, your numbers are not accurate.

We have three C7's in our club out of some 70 Corvettes. All three are owned by senior citizens.

Last month I attended a car show in Hannibal, Missouri(small town about a hundred miles north of St Louis)where there were 160 Corvettes in attendance. Most were C5's and C6's and there were eight C7's in the show. I saw the drivers of seven of the eight C7's and they were all senior citizens. I didn't see eighth C7, so I can't comment about the age of it's owner.

While my observations are based on a small sampling, how large was the sampling that you used to draw your conclusions that the number of 40-55 year olds purchasing the C7 is approaching 50%?

Did you attend any gatherings of Corvettes to get your numbers or did you stand outside of a bunch of dealerships doing your sampling, or did you see two Corvettes driving down the street and one had a under 55 year old driver and the other a senior citizen?

I will agree that the people that belong to Corvette clubs are generally of the older age group and the people that generally enter Corvette car shows are also of the older age group; but that is the only way I can personally get a feel for the age distribution. Notice that I made no statements about percentage of owner driving C7's being senior citizens but relayed by personal observations of the age of the C7 owners.

Maybe someone that has access to the insurance records of all the C7's owners out there can weigh in and tell us the percentage of owners of C7's that fall into the two age groups.
I'm just going by my club.I'm 62. I guess another is around 65,and one he's 45.I look at C7's going down the road and eye the drivers.I mean if we are traveling opposite directions both going 70 or better than I can't see in.

Quick Reply: At what age are you too old for a Vette?