Sponsored by:

Transparent roof cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transparent roof cost

I almost bought a black 1lt yesterday, but the sales manager wanted to be a pig head and not discount the car more than $1k because that is what another larger dealer is advertising on the web. They as much told me that they would have done $2k discount when the previously mentioned large dealer was offering a $2k discount.

The car I was interested in had a transparent roof panel that cost $995. The window sticker on the car included a carbon fiber roof panel.

There was a car beside of it that had a dual roof option for $2995, a carbon fiber roof and a transparent roof.

It seems you would be better off with the no charge carbon fiber roof and buy an a transparent roof later if you wanted it.

Am I missing something here?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM
dmdaum
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 Red Vette
I almost bought a black 1lt yesterday, but the sales manager wanted to be a pig head and not discount the car more than $1k because that is what another larger dealer is advertising on the web. They as much told me that they would have done $2k discount when the previously mentioned large dealer was offering a $2k discount.

The car I was interested in had a transparent roof panel that cost $995. The window sticker on the car included a carbon fiber roof panel.

There was a car beside of it that had a dual roof option for $2995, a carbon fiber roof and a transparent roof.

It seems you would be better off with the no charge carbon fiber roof and buy an a transparent roof later if you wanted it.

The standard roof panel is a painted carbon fiber panel to match the body of the car. The dual roof option you mentioned should have the transparent roof and the exposed carbon fiber roof with only the edges painted the body color. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dmdaum; 02-16-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:22 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by dmdaum
The standard roof panel is a painted carbon fiber panel to match the body of the car. The dual roof option you mentioned should have the transparent roof and the exposed carbon fiber roof with only the edges painted the body color. Hope this helps.
The no-charge roof is painted carbon fiber. For $995 it can be replaced with the translucent panel; this is available on all trim levels.

On 2LT and 3LT cars only, you can order two different two-panel options; you can also replace the standard painted panel with the visible carbon fiber one:
  1. Body color painted carbon fiber and translucent - $1995
  2. Visible carbon fiber and translucent - $2995
  3. Visible carbon fiber instead of painted - $1995
One thing to keep in mind is that if it works the same way on the C7 as it did on the C6, the translucent panel is available as a complete unit through the parts department; for a C6 the discounted price is usually around @1200 complete. The painted panel, however, is not. For a C6, the only way to buy a new one after the fact is to order all of the individual parts, have the outer skin painted, then have everything assembled. Total cost is typically over $2500. I haven't heard anything about the availability of the visible carbon fiber panel after the fact but I suspect it will work much the same as the standard painted panel since it includes the body-colored painted spears.

I've said it here many times - if you think you'll ever want the painted panel, get it with the car since it will cost a bundle later. The translucent panel can always be added later at a reasonable cost.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Are you saying that the Dealer switched the Roof that came with the Car from the Factory?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:48 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,562 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
:...if you think you'll ever want the painted panel, get it with the car since it will cost a bundle later. The translucent panel can always be added later at a reasonable cost.
That is what I did with my C6 and will probably do when I order my C7...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Are transparent roofs even available in the after market (through dealers) at this point? If so are they $995 or more? Anyone picked up an exposed CF after the fact?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I've said it here many times - if you think you'll ever want the painted panel, get it with the car since it will cost a bundle later. The translucent panel can always be added later at a reasonable cost.
And another advantage to buying after market is you then own the transparent top and, when you move on to a C8 or other car, you can sell it here and get some of your money back.

Are transparent roofs even available in the after market (through dealers) at this point? If so are they $995 or more? Anyone picked up an exposed CF after the fact?
The transparent roofs are not yet available, Gene at Parts Warehouse says they will be available but doesn't know when. No price is set yet but I'd guess $1200 or more as that is what the current C6 top costs.

Last edited by BigJoe; 02-16-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Haven't seen any exposed CF Roofs anywhere for sale. They would also have to match your Car because the Spears are painted body color.

I have both the Solid Color CF and Transparent Roofs. I am thinking of having the Spears on the Transparent Roof painted to match my Car so it will "look" like the Exposed CF Roof.

One or two other Posters have done that, but I'm not sure what it would cost to do. The Plastic surface has to be roughed up so the Paint will stick, which adds to the Cost if done right. Not a DIY job for me.

BTW - I think someone Posted a while ago that the Factory Transparent Roof would cost $2,200 if bought from a Dealer aftermarket.

Last edited by Second Vette; 02-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Second Vette

BTW - I think someone Posted a while ago that the Factory Transparent Roof would cost $2,200 if bought from a Dealer aftermarket.
Whoa! Steep price after the fact (double)...ouch
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Just a recollection. I even heard that you have to buy all the "pieces" separately and assemble it, the Hook and the Front Latches for instance.

Again, I 'm not saying it's Gospel, just something I read somewhere.

Just because we read things on the Internet doesn't mean they're true, or so I've been told by other people on the Internet.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:38 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

How do you figure that? Doesn't it cost $2k to get the dual roof painted CF and transparent package?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

I kind of doubt it. It's only $1995 (M.S.R.P.) if you order it with the car. Historically (as in with the C6), the translucent roof has been available through places like GM Parts House for less than M.S.R.P. On the C6, M.S.R.P. was $1495 but Parts House sells them for just over $1200 (often on sale for just under $1100).
Old 02-16-2014, 04:48 PM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

Are you saying that the Dealer switched the Roof that came with the Car from the Factory?
No, see second response above which clarified everything.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

No, see second response above which clarified everything.
I'm still confused. I thought the first 1LT Car had the Transparent Top.

Didn't the Window Sticker on the first 1LT Car say it had a Painted CF Roof? If the Transparent Top Option ($995) is checked off, it REPLACES the Standard CF Painted Roof.

If the Dual Roof Option ($1995) is checked off, BOTH Tops are included.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit dense, but maybe I am.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:16 PM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

I'm still confused. I thought the first 1LT Car had the Transparent Top.

Didn't the Window Sticker on the first 1LT Car say it had a Painted CF Roof? If the Transparent Top Option ($995) is checked off, it REPLACES the Standard CF Painted Roof.

If the Dual Roof Option ($1995) is checked off, BOTH Tops are included.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit dense, but maybe I am.
The window sticker said the painted carbon fiber roof was standard equipment. The transparent roof was a $995 option. The second reply clarified that the painted carbon fiber roof was replaced with the transparent roof. The window sticker does not mention replacing the first roof, it just say the 2nd roof is an option. Hopefully this will clarify it for you. I will admit, I was wondering where the first roof was myself.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:06 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

The window sticker said the painted carbon fiber roof was standard equipment. The transparent roof was a $995 option. The second reply clarified that the painted carbon fiber roof was replaced with the transparent roof. The window sticker does not mention replacing the first roof, it just say the 2nd roof is an option. Hopefully this will clarify it for you. I will admit, I was wondering where the first roof was myself.
On someone else's car. hopefully not.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

One more thing to go back and check out... The 1LT package does not allow any roof options outside of the standard body colored roof. The transparent and visible carbon fiber panels are options restricted to 2LT/3LT packages.

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent roof cost

Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
On someone else's car. hopefully not.
No. This has been covered so many times since the C5's.... The $995 option is a REPLACEMENT of the body colored roof with the transparent roof. The prices are posted in mpuzach' post above.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
No. This has been covered so many times since the C5's.... The $995 option is a REPLACEMENT of the body colored roof with the transparent roof. The prices are posted in mpuzach' post above.
Again:
Body color top only $0
transparent top only $995
Exposed carbon fiber only $1995
Body color and transparent $1995
Exposed and transparent $2995
Old 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by bgood
One more thing to go back and check out... The 1LT package does not allow any roof options outside of the standard body colored roof. The transparent and visible carbon fiber panels are options restricted to 2LT/3LT packages.
Incorrect. The $995 translucent roof option (which takes the place of the standard painted panel) is available with 1LT.

Quick Reply: Transparent roof cost