C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C7 just failed California smog at 420 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
There is absolutely no logical reason a brand new 2014 vehicle should be required to be tested. Just another government tax grab, keeping a bunch of superfluous employees working, for no practical purpose.

We have a similarly useless program here (its called "AirCare"). Fortunately, it is in its last year, and will be gone by 2015. The union argued for its renewal, but the government ignored them.

Our two primary vehicles are too new to require testing, but the Trans Am (1999) is still required to be tested every second year (which costs me $48).

They plug into the OBDII port, see that there are no codes, and take my money.

As the majority of vehicles on the roads are now too new (and exempt), the AirCare stations are mostly deserted, with the workers spending their days drinking coffee and standing around.

Good work if you can get it I guess.
Reason #323418 not to live in The People's Republik.....
The following users liked this post:
ovrebo1 (06-10-2016)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 PM
C7BigTime
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k.greene21
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I am in the same boat as these out of state buyers, coming into CA.

I cant even get the car to the point where the station will actually smog it. Ive driven it 200 miles and all of the systems havent reset yet.

Whats going on here?
My 2014 purchased from MacMulkin had the same issue coming into CA. In order to get the systems to reset, my mechanic had me drive the car in a combination of stop and go and freeway driving above 70mph for 75+ miles. After I did this I brought the car back to him and all systems were reset and smog test passed. He told me that doing these tests early morning (which is when I first brought the car to him) is also not a good idea because the car needs to be thoroughly warmed up and driven to make sure the systems reset.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

California and 50 state is: California is 7 year 70,000 mile and Fifty state is 5 year 50,000 miles.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:35 PM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
No they don't say California under the hood on a sticker and no it's not an issue. It's merely an inconvenience. All new Corvettes are 50 state legal. If you don't have the sticker, you need a smog and a DMV inspection which doesn't cost a dime and takes 5 minutes. The story may be different with a used car and may require 7500 miles but on a new car it is not an issue at all. I already went through this process as did other local members. If you have that sticker, no smog is needed. I know this because I purchased my car from Kerbeck as well off their floor and it did not have the California emission sticker but it says right under the hood "50 state emissions".
i just saw this on Kerbeck ! how was your experience ! Did you pay for shipping to Cali ?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
C7BigTime
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chevyfanatic
i just saw this on Kerbeck ! how was your experience ! Did you pay for shipping to Cali ?
I paid for shipping from MacMulkin to Northern California and found Intercity Transport to be an outstanding carrier! Taking the car to CA DMV was not a problem as the car is 50 state legal and has all the emissions labels needed to be brought into the state. The emissions testing was no problem once I understood what the technical process of resetting the sensors needed to be. Drive the car in stop and go traffic AND 70mph+ speeds for approximately 75 miles and then take the car in for smog. Take the car in right after this driving exercise, do not bring in the next morning. The car should pass with no problems.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Vette4Dave
1st Gear

I am having this same issue with my brand new C7 Stingray 2LT. I took it in and failed at the chevy dealership and I was told to drive the hell out of it because my o2 sensor basiclly had no operation time. Since my car was delivered from Kentucky in a truck to California the dealership seems to think the battery was unhooked which might have caused the o2 sensor to fail the check so there you have it which is why I was told to drive drive and drive. I've had the car for 3 weeks and have a total of 426 miles on the car. I'm going to drive to 500 miles then take it in for a 4th time smog check.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Poltergeist
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette4Dave
I am having this same issue with my brand new C7 Stingray 2LT. I took it in and failed at the chevy dealership and I was told to drive the hell out of it because my o2 sensor basiclly had no operation time. Since my car was delivered from Kentucky in a truck to California the dealership seems to think the battery was unhooked which might have caused the o2 sensor to fail the check so there you have it which is why I was told to drive drive and drive. I've had the car for 3 weeks and have a total of 426 miles on the car. I'm going to drive to 500 miles then take it in for a 4th time smog check.
A few others here have had to put about 1k miles on their cars before they passed.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:25 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this still a problem ? or just an isolated instance . I am considering ordering from the east coast dealers and am somewhat concerned about jumping through hoops when i get the car.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Poltergeist
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by redshift1
Is this still a problem ? or just an isolated instance . I am considering ordering from the east coast dealers and am somewhat concerned about jumping through hoops when i get the car.

It is not isolated. If you do a courtesy delivery at a local dealer you don't have to worry about the smog test until you have owned it for 6 years. Only if you have it delivered directly to you from the out of state dealer do you have to have it smogged right away. .
redshift1 (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 04:02 PM
C7Bill
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smog

Originally Posted by Poltergeist
It is not isolated. If you do a courtesy delivery at a local dealer you don't have to worry about the smog test until you have owned it for 6 years. Only if you have it delivered directly to you from the out of state dealer do you have to have it smogged right away. .
That's true. I bought my car from Rick Conti, a 2015 2LT made on the second day of production. It arrived at my house with 4 miles on the odometer and was spotless. I had to drive over 1000 miles before my car finally passed California smog. I bought my car out of state because I was able to order it exactly how I wanted it and it was a better deal than I could get in SoCal. It's a stupid California law. I'll bet if you drove a car off the showroom to a smog station it would fail. There is a criteria for driving the car that will cycle the computer. I found this out after my car finally passed.
ovrebo1 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 04:27 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Poltergeist
I first posted this thread in 2/14, just after my 14 C7 was delivered from Kerbeck to my house in the LA area. It failed one smog test and passed at another test station recommended by Scott (slief), which said that the car was too new for their equipment to deal with. Apparently, this is still a problem in California with new C7s delivered from out of state.,
Old 06-09-2016, 09:03 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Bill
That's true. I bought my car from Rick Conti, a 2015 2LT made on the second day of production. It arrived at my house with 4 miles on the odometer and was spotless. I had to drive over 1000 miles before my car finally passed California smog. I bought my car out of state because I was able to order it exactly how I wanted it and it was a better deal than I could get in SoCal. It's a stupid California law. I'll bet if you drove a car off the showroom to a smog station it would fail. There is a criteria for driving the car that will cycle the computer. I found this out after my car finally passed.
This is my experience as well but I only needed around 500 miles on it for everything to reset. I checked the code with an OBD reader myself to know when it would pass. One code is allowed to fail when passing smog.

No new car will pass smog as the sensors need miles and certain conditions to register correctly. Cars just aren't tested when sold new in-state. Mine was registered out-of-state but was delivered to my door with only 9 miles on it. Once I completed the OBD drive cycles and dotted all the I's it passed. It's not a big deal. If your car wasn't registered out-of-state prior to entering CA this doesn't concern you.

Having to smog the car after saving $8,000 off MSRP is a small price to pay and a rather minor inconvenience as I planned to drive the car anyway. When I purchased my car no dealer I contacted would go under MSRP here in CA.

Dropping an additional $48 for a smog sticker is hardly a tax grab -- which is included in your new car price anyway when bought in-state. A tax grab is when your utility company charges commercial and business customers half to a third as much for electricity as residential customers.

--Dan

Last edited by dbratten; 06-10-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 PM
C7Bill
Intermediate

Default Smog

Originally Posted by dbratten
This is my experience as well but I only needed around 500 miles on it for everything to reset. I checked the code with a OBD reader myself to know when it would pass. One code is allowed to fail when passing smog.

No new car will pass smog as the sensors need miles and certain conditions to register correctly. Car just aren't tested when sold new in-state. Mine was registered out-of-state but was delivered to my door with only 9 miles on it. Once I completed the OBD drive cycles and dotted all the I's it passed. It's not a big deal. If your car wasn't registered out-of-state prior to entering CA this doesn't concern you.

Having to smog the car after saving $8,000 off MSRP is a small price to pay and a rather minor inconvenience as I planned t drive the car anyway. When I purchased my car no dealer I contacted with go under MSRP here in CA.

Dropping an additional $48 for a smog sticker is hardly a tax grab -- which is included in your new car price anyway when bought in-state. A tax grab is when your utility company changes commercial and business customers half to a third as much for electricity as residential customers.

--Dan
I totally agree and would do the same thing again!!!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:39 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

The whole "smog" testing in many states is a big brother government tax grab. They make you jump through hoops so they can continue to employee cronies and make all the taxpayers pay for it. It's like all the rest of the environmental garbage shoved down our throats by big government liberals who hate freedom.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:21 AM
4DCYKEY
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 2016 on the Internet, out of state. I also failed. I was supposed to drive it about 1000 miles before taking it in. I didn't. I picked my car up from having a clear bra put on, went to DmV down the block for paperwork, then next door for the smog test. I failed for not getting the car warmed up before the test; don't know if not having 1000 miles made any difference.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:36 AM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DCYKEY
I bought my 2016 on the Internet, out of state. I also failed. I was supposed to drive it about 1000 miles before taking it in. I didn't. I picked my car up from having a clear bra put on, went to DmV down the block for paperwork, then next door for the smog test. I failed for not getting the car warmed up before the test; don't know if not having 1000 miles made any difference.
So what happened or are you waiting for another smog test ?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:02 AM
Tvhess
Navigator

My c7 took 1300 miles before it passed the smog test. All of the systems passed except the oxygen. It took that long for the car computer to figure everything out. I agree with passed post, by buying the car from Kerbeck I got a 10% discount. So stop winning about the $48.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:39 PM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
Is this right?
Move to Nevada!
Old 06-11-2016, 10:09 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Miles driven have very little to do with getting the sensors set and able to pass smog. All cars need to go through this. The new ones from the dealer directly won't pass (but are exempt for obvious reasons.)

Do this and you'll be fine (copied from the OBDII web site):
-----------------------------------
General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation
© General Motors Corporation
---------------------------------

I ran through this three or four times before getting it to complete. There were a couple of things difficult to do which may have contributed to the delay in setting. The accelerate instructions asking you to go half or three quarter throttle and stay under 60 mph are nearly impossible in a Z06. Also, with the A8, the car is not good at coming to a stop without hitting the brakes.

--Dan

Quick Reply: My C7 just failed California smog at 420 miles.