Sponsored by:

Rear Blind spots in the C7

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Yule
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Blind spots in the C7

I brought my '13 4400 mile, 3LT, 6 speed manual Grand Sport in for its 1 year service today. My dealership had 7 C7's in stock including a beautiful Silver/red interior 7 Speed non Z- 51. They made me a fairly compelling trade in offer on my C6 for the C7. As I sat in the C7, it was great, but the blind spot out the passenger side/rear was bad, particularly compared to the C6 which has a wrap around rear window offering excellent rearward and rear/side views. For those of you that own the C7, is what I have described as bad as it looked to me?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I find myself doing a lot of side to side shoulder checking when I'm backing up, even more so than I did in my C5 'vert with the top up. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but it's definitely there (the blind spot) and the camera is all but useless until you're closing in on something.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

It's a bit tougher to see out of but I'm sure we will all get used to it.

It also looks better - reasonable trade off in my book.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I don't really find it that bad. Properly adjusted mirrors really help (most people have them pointed too far inward). You can actually see out the passenger quarter window, not so for the driver side quarter window. I find the backup camera quite useful (but then I've been using one in my wife's SRX for 4 years).
Old 02-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

The blind spot is bigger than previous Vettes. I have my mirrors angled out and I do find myself looking in the mirror and then looking over my shoulder.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I too don't find it bad. I came out of an 09 C6 and the transition to the C7 was easy. You just adjust your mirrors a bit different. That said, I have not noticed blind spots to be an issue at all and find I can see everything I need to without any worries about blind spots. It may seem weird at first but after a couple hours behind the wheel, you will feel right at home and the difference in visibility out the rear and along the sides will quickly become a non issue.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I was a bit concerned when I first got mine, but after nearly 3 months, I have adapted to it.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:27 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

To me, the Driver's side blind spot is the only one to be worried about. I find that on the freeway, I check my passenger mirror, do a quick over the shoulder check and have a very decent view out the right hand side. For the driver's side - it's a bit of a different story, I usually check my left mirror, rear-view mirror, and then lean forward and do a quick over the shoulder check before I move left. I usually add just a touch of speed so I can be sure that anything that I may have inadvertently missed will show up in my mirrors.

At the end of the day, it's not bad at all. You just need to get used to always paying that much more attention.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Yule
Racer

Thanks very much for the answers to my question. I felt that the passenger side mirror could be adjusted to provide the field of vision I need to move to my right. I need just a little more seat time at the dealership tomorrow.

I asked the GM of the dealership if I could take the C7 home for the weekend to try it out before buying, even offering to bring it back with a full tank. He said no. That was surprising. Ha!

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-22-2014, 04:40 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Since it's not a Z-51, make sure you get a deal that is below MSRP. Do some searching around on this forum, Kerbeck and the other large dealer sites. Seems like there is a fair amount of non-z51 inventory sitting on lots, so people are getting good deals on them.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
Since it's not a Z-51, make sure you get a deal that is below MSRP. Do some searching around on this forum, Kerbeck and the other large dealer sites. Seems like there is a fair amount of non-z51 inventory sitting on lots, so people are getting good deals on them.
+1.

OP,
Since you are in New York, I'd contact Amoni at Kerbek across the border in Atlantic City. They have a huge inventory and will likely cut you a deal on a non Z51. They have a huge inventory. I got my car from them and they were easy to deal with and very helpful. Amoni was absolutely wonderful to deal with. If you contact him, tell him Scott in California referred you. He will take good care of you. I promise!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't noticed the crazy blind spots people are talking about.

If your mirrors are setup right, the blind spots are small and pretty much on par with every other Vette I've owned.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Like everyone says use your mirrors properly. Also, bump your driving awareness skills up a notch. Now C7 drivers may better understand what it is like for that truck driver who you thought could see you.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

With mirrors adjusted I have no problem.My CTS Coupe was bad.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

IMHO , when I go to change lanes to the right of me I hold my breath every time . It's really bad on the passenger side , especially at night in heavy traffic . Perhaps like others have said , I will get used to it but for now it's a little hairy but I will live with it and would not let that stop me from buying this beautiful car ..... Good luck .....
Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 PM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I hate the blind spot. I haven't gotten used to it. The mirrors have a base that sits too far out.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Sugar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a third time Corvette owner I have found it to be very good for my situational awareness. My head is on a swivel looking out for the other guy. You are also supposed to have your side view mirrors out far enough to where you only see the side of the car if you try too. Once you think about the visibility when you have your mirrors in the proper spots you will find that the visibility is as good as any vehicle out there. You just don't see as much sky and don't see as much asphalt. Proper mirror angles will make the visibility just fine. The post is behind the seat and my seat is all the way back. With the mirrors right you will just be able to glance and not have any issues. The Camaro is HORRIBLE for visibility compared to the Vette.QUOTE=Yule;1586236841]I brought my '13 4400 mile, 3LT, 6 speed manual Grand Sport in for its 1 year service today. My dealership had 7 C7's in stock including a beautiful Silver/red interior 7 Speed non Z- 51. They made me a fairly compelling trade in offer on my C6 for the C7. As I sat in the C7, it was great, but the blind spot out the passenger side/rear was bad, particularly compared to the C6 which has a wrap around rear window offering excellent rearward and rear/side views. For those of you that own the C7, is what I have described as bad as it looked to me?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Blind spots in the C7

Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Whatever you think is bad, the convertible is worse.

I still love it though.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Can't lie about what is, yep it's a blind spot worse than any car I've owned before. BUT.... I've set the mirrors in the memory and the desire to drive the car is so great I've learned to use them satisfactorily. As a matter of fact, because I've found out what setting them out so far produces in vision to my right rear, I've set the ones in the Lexus (with good visibility) out the same. Keeps me from having having to pivot my head so much . The one thing I can't seem to compensate for is lost vision close in to the rear because of the spoiler (Z51 PKG). Now I just try to remember what I saw when it was in front because can't see it again till it's about 30 yards back .
Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The blind spots are there. With all the technology in this car, I would like to have blind spot monitors, even if it added a couple of extras pounds.

Quick Reply: Rear Blind spots in the C7