Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are carbon fiber wheels on the horizon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Are carbon fiber wheels on the horizon?

BMW is gearing up to produce carbon fiber wheels.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/02/...and+Podcast%29
Old 02-24-2014, 09:14 AM
nlgrav182
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon fiber is strong and light, sure, but it disintegrates when it breaks. I'd rather have an alloy wheel that can hit a pot hole and crack and get me home than a CF wheel that shatters, throws debris, and could do some damage.

Maybe they'll post some destructive testing videos to show off the strength.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Notice that even F1 races of metal wheels (Forged magnesium). Motorcycles only qualify on CF wheels and revert to metal wheels for the race.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I hardly think BMW will put a CF wheel on the street that shatters when hit...you may not like them, but they are not stupid......
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Carbon fiber wheels have been around a while. They are extremely expensive though. If I am not mistaken, I think Halltech is working on them for the C7.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:03 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It is Halltech.
Here is a thread.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...free-pscs.html
Old 02-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I love Carbon Fiber, but they are $15,000 for a set.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

The main reason why CF wheels aren't already everywhere is the price of CF. The price has steadily come down which is why we are finally seeing it used on cars. Wheels are the obvious next thing that will be made more mainstream because of the pricing.

The reason why BMW is doing it is to make use of waste. It is a win win.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

A carbon fiber wheel broke in F1 motorcycle racing in 1984 and were avoided for many years.

But I don't really see the need for carbon fiber wheels. For instance, the Volk forged aluminum wheels for street cars are thick in size or substantial in spoke number but come in at unbelievable light weights. Then the Volk wheels for race cars are forged magnesium (and don't look anything like hollow spoke cast wheels). The Volk sports car wheels are the CE28N, RE30, and TE37. There was a TE37 for the C6 Z06.

Basically, to understand the difference between forged aluminum and cast aluminum then go look at steel versus cast iron. Both steel and cast iron are iron-with-carbon but steel is three to four times stronger than cast iron.

Now carbon fiber used to be wrapped and layered over cores but now the process is more like injection molding. So fabrication costs are no problem for large scale production and the remaining issue is the cost of the raw material

Last edited by B Stead; 02-24-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Elleby13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that carbon fiber wheels are too lite and cause the wheels to spin too much? Idk if that is true or not but I have heard that from a few different sources.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Elleby13
I have heard that carbon fiber wheels are too lite and cause the wheels to spin too much? Idk if that is true or not but I have heard that from a few different sources.
This is not true. The BMW wheels as an example save 10 percent for the full carbon version and 25 percent on the carbon / metal hybrid version. It isn't as if we are putting wheels and tires on that weigh in ounces, they will still have weight and plenty of it.

Furthermore, reducing unsprung weight and rotational weight is VERY good. There is a reason why guys running stupid big wheels end up doing brake and performance upgrades to simply get back the performance lost through the massive weight increase.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I've run with CF wheels on my Aprilia RSV4 and they were worth their rather extreme cost ($1500 a wheel) because they allowed the bike to transition from full lean to opposite lean much quicker than the aluminum wheels it comes stock with. Mag wheels for bikes are roughly the same price and amateur riders like myslef would be hard pressed to feel the difference.

For cars I don't think CF wheels would pose as great of an improvement in handling as they do on motorcycles and the weight savings would be barely noticeable to the average driver behind the steering wheel. I think CF wheels are more of a "because i can" type of upgrade than a necessary one. As for shattering, CF wheels don't shatter per say...but they can delaminate and cause issues later with losing air pressure in the tire. CF wheels are actually more flexible than aluminum wheels and can even absorb shock better than metals with their construction. CF technology has come a long way and if the price ever comes down enough to make them actually viable then they would most certainly be worth using on sports cars. But at their current price you could buy two sets of HRE's with nice tires on them...not exactly a strong selling point when you look at it like that.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Supermassive
I've run with CF wheels on my Aprilia RSV4 and they were worth their rather extreme cost ($1500 a wheel) because they allowed the bike to transition from full lean to opposite lean much quicker than the aluminum wheels it comes stock with. Mag wheels for bikes are roughly the same price and amateur riders like myslef would be hard pressed to feel the difference.

For cars I don't think CF wheels would pose as great of an improvement in handling as they do on motorcycles and the weight savings would be barely noticeable to the average driver behind the steering wheel. I think CF wheels are more of a "because i can" type of upgrade than a necessary one. As for shattering, CF wheels don't shatter per say...but they can delaminate and cause issues later with losing air pressure in the tire. CF wheels are actually more flexible than aluminum wheels and can even absorb shock better than metals with their construction. CF technology has come a long way and if the price ever comes down enough to make them actually viable then they would most certainly be worth using on sports cars. But at their current price you could buy two sets of HRE's with nice tires on them...not exactly a strong selling point when you look at it like that.
I can only imagine how a set of CF wheels would have been on a road race bike. When I was racing, I picked up a set of Dymag Magnesium wheels for my R1 race bike and it was amazing what a difference a set of magnesium wheels made to the bikes performance and handling. It was much much more "flickable"! I couldn't imagine running a set of CF wheels. Boy would that have been fun!

As for running CF wheels on a car, I completely agree.. Definitely not worth the cost unless the car is a full race car with an unlimited budget. One run over a good bump and the days costs would skyrocket.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

One of the big reasons for the cost of CF parts is the fact that they are produced almost completely by hand. GM and a partner is working on automating the production which will bring costs down dramatically.

As far as whether the weight reduction is worth it on a street car, you have to keep in mind that CAFE standards are going to start requiring a huge increase in fleet mileage soon, and the manufacturers are going to have to really start scratching to find efficiencies.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I've had many Corvette's and different wheels on them and light wheels make a nice difference in many ways.

Get notified of new replies

To Are carbon fiber wheels on the horizon?

Quick Reply: Are carbon fiber wheels on the horizon?