Sponsored by:

I've got the Nav system blues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts
Default I've got the Nav system blues

In addition to my new C7, I have a 2012 Volt. The Volt Nav system is bulletproof. The C7 Nav, uh, not so much.

For example: Unlike the Volt Nav, which anticipates my address inputs, the C7 Nav requires every. stinking. letter. Not only that, it is VERY picky about spelling and abbreviations, also unlike my Volt Nav. On one entry it couldn't find a street name using "Rd.", but found it using "Road". Later, on another address, it wouldn't find "Road" but did find "Rd." Another time, typing a hotel address exactly as I found it from an Internet search on my iPhone, the Nav couldn't find it using "Pkwy", which is also a standard abbreviation, but after trying variations, I got it to find the address using "Pky", which is NOT a standard abbreviation.

On another occasion, I was looking for a RE/Max office using the POIs and it sent me to a house in a residential neighborhood. Then it did the same thing with two other real estate offices, directing me to a house each time.

Overall, it is the most picky, inflexible Nav system I've ever used. Actual directions are very good. It's just the part about getting it to accept input and POI accuracy that are a problem. It is not user friendly. I would describe it more as user vicious.

I contacted GM Customer Care about the issue and got the distinct impression they didn't really "Care", which is exactly the opposite of my experiences with the Volt Advisor team.

Too bad that such a great car has such a poorly implemented Nav system.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

That sucks.

This is exactly why I saved the 795.00. I have nav in my 2010 Sierra and I use the nav on my smartphone instead of it. Yeah, the built in convenience and integration with other components of the car is nice but with a smartphone you can usually customize it or even use an entirely different app if you wanted to.

-Mark
Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
mike1952
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'11-'12-'13

for those of us that had the previous generation of nav there is no comparison on how much better the new generation is. Much more intuitive and responsive and a lot cheaper than previous models! Baby steps.....

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

My only experience with the nav so far was driving it home from the dealer last night (430 miles). As I was on the move, I couldn't make entries from the keypad so I tried the Voice Entry feature. Much to my pleasant surprise, it accurately worked the very first time I tried it and it made no mistakes.

And it was easy to use otherwise - I agree it is MUCH superior to the C6's in ease of use and had no problems directing me home. Maybe not a Garmin quite yet but very nice!

Last edited by KenHorse; 02-26-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've found that it is easier to use the voice command. I just speak the entire address and it finds it. It's work every time so far. You can do this even when you are driving (unlike typing which you can only do when parked). I also like getting the turn directions on the HUD. You can't do that with Garmin or your phone.

Last edited by Buzzardz_vette; 02-26-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
I've found that it is easier to use the voice command. I just speak the entire address and it finds it. It's work every time so far. You can do this even when you are driving (unlike typing which you can only do when parked). I also like getting the turn directions on the HUD. You can't do that with Garmin or your phone.
I'll give voice commands a try. I'm so used to manual input that I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 PM
popokrew
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to bypass the lockout? I understand this is a safety feature but with a passenger, this is a non-issue. I hate that lawyers have taken over everything and probably pushed for things like this. My Jag is like this and I absolutely hate that no one can input an address while moving.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by popokrew
Is there a way to bypass the lockout? I understand this is a safety feature but with a passenger, this is a non-issue. I hate that lawyers have taken over everything and probably pushed for things like this. My Jag is like this and I absolutely hate that no one can input an address while moving.
Just use the voice feature. You'll love it
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam
In addition to my new C7, I have a 2012 Volt. The Volt Nav system is bulletproof. The C7 Nav, uh, not so much.

For example: Unlike the Volt Nav, which anticipates my address inputs, the C7 Nav requires every. stinking. letter. Not only that, it is VERY picky about spelling and abbreviations, also unlike my Volt Nav. On one entry it couldn't find a street name using "Rd.", but found it using "Road". Later, on another address, it wouldn't find "Road" but did find "Rd." Another time, typing a hotel address exactly as I found it from an Internet search on my iPhone, the Nav couldn't find it using "Pkwy", which is also a standard abbreviation, but after trying variations, I got it to find the address using "Pky", which is NOT a standard abbreviation.

On another occasion, I was looking for a RE/Max office using the POIs and it sent me to a house in a residential neighborhood. Then it did the same thing with two other real estate offices, directing me to a house each time.

Overall, it is the most picky, inflexible Nav system I've ever used. Actual directions are very good. It's just the part about getting it to accept input and POI accuracy that are a problem. It is not user friendly. I would describe it more as user vicious.

I contacted GM Customer Care about the issue and got the distinct impression they didn't really "Care", which is exactly the opposite of my experiences with the Volt Advisor team.

Too bad that such a great car has such a poorly implemented Nav system.
I take it that you didn't trade in a C6 with the $1750 NAV option. If you had, then all you would be posting is phrases for the C7's NAV. LOL.

I never leave home in my C6(with it's $1750 factory NAV) without my $85 Garmin, with FREE lifetime map updates, four times annually.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
popokrew
8th Gear

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Just use the voice feature. You'll love it
Thanks, when/if I get a C7 ill try out the voice, but it is kind of frustrating to have a $65k+ car and big brother has all the control. Im sure there is an override module or some mod to a wire harness.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by nh_mark
That sucks.

This is exactly why I saved the 795.00.

-Mark
Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM
IAmCole
Advanced

Originally Posted by popokrew
Mine gives a message that says "Don't do this while driving. if you're the passenger click the continue button" or something to that nature. It doesn't lock me out of anything while moving. Not sure if this is some setting or something or if it depends on what version of the dash software you're running.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The Nav is not even close to the one in my Lexus. Unfortunate. I was hoping it would be better.

It doesn't alert you accurately enough to turn on the proper streets.

The touch screen is too slow to respond to your touch

You are correct that it does not auto fill, which is annoying. (I told this to someone else and they said I must be crazy.)

The angle of the maps is confusing at times.

The icons are too small to see what they are

It doesn't know when you arrive half the time and keeps on going, and going, and going

It gave me some very strange routes that I knew were the worst way

It's difficult to shut off

And it gives some really screwy commands. One time it said "go straight then immediately go straight". What???

Last edited by Sin City; 02-26-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

I have never liked in-car nav for this reason. My phone gets upgraded every year or so. Many car systems are frozen in time, at least in many technical respects, plus I hate touch screens, anyway, in a car. Tactile sensations make sense so you do not have to look away from the road.

That said, there is no reason in the world the Corvette system cannot be as good as a Lexus rig. No reason at all.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sin City
The Nav is not even close to the one in my Lexus. Unfortunate. I was hoping it would be better.

It doesn't alert you accurately enough to turn on the proper streets.

The touch screen is too slow to respond to your touch

You are correct that it does not auto fill, which is annoying. (I told this to someone else and they said I must be crazy.)

The angle of the maps is confusing at times.

The icons are too small to see what they are

It doesn't know when you arrive half the time and keeps on going, and going, and going

It gave me some very strange routes that I knew were the worst way

It's difficult to shut off

And it gives some really screwy commands. One time it said "go straight then immediately go straight". What???
Maybe knowing which version firmware is installed would help? While I've (obviously) only used mine one, it was accurate about arrival time and adjusted it several times during my trip. (was within 3 minutes when I finally got home)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I have owned 2 C6's and suffered thru almost 7 yrs of the Corvette NAV system...the party is over for me. My C7 will NOT have one...
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by beepster
I have owned 2 C6's and suffered thru almost 7 yrs of the Corvette NAV system...the party is over for me. My C7 will NOT have one...
Night and day difference....

Get notified of new replies

To I've got the Nav system blues

Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 PM
mike1952
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'11-'12-'13

Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just enter the address like you would on google maps.

I just enter the street number, street name (No St or Rd or Ave) and the zip code or the city.

So for 1234 Main St, Los Angeles, CA 90001, just enter "1234 main 90001" and it will find it. Or if you don't know the zip code, enter "1234 main los angeles Ca", no need for commas. Has worked very well for me and I love the interface compared to most Nav systems. Like anything else, just have to get used to how it wants to be operated.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I'm not sure why anyone would type an address into the nav system. The voice recognition works great, and you just speak the whole address. You can speak points of interest too.

My advice is to take some time learning the various voice recognition commands. You'll thank me later. There's very little reason to type anything on the touch screen. Your nav system will suddenly seem much better.

Quick Reply: I've got the Nav system blues