Sponsored by:

So.....how's the C7 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Really? I find it as easy as any I've ever driven.
Maybe it is my car? I left my son drive it (he has a manual Honda Civic) he immediately stalled it. Seems the clutch starts to take hold and "now" it is fully engaged. Higher rpm prior to actuating the clutch seems to overcome this sensitive clutch engagement. (I have not driven another manual C7)
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Maybe it is my car? I left my son drive it (he has a manual Honda Civic) he immediately stalled it. Seems the clutch starts to take hold and "now" it is fully engaged. Higher rpm prior to actuating the clutch seems to overcome this sensitive clutch engagement. (I have not driven another manual C7)
Could be. I'm actually quite surprised how light and linear it is.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I found the shifter took a little while to get used to since it always wants to gravitate towards 4th. I also mixed up 3rd and 5th occasionally when I first got the car, but after a few days of driving it became fairly effortless and now I love it.

As for the clutch, not sure if it's just me but at first it took a little getting used to. From fully depressed, it feels like the first 80% of the clutch movement does absolutely nothing. It doesn't seem to grab at all until about 81% released. So at first it felt odd because I felt like I was jamming the clutch down 12 inches and then immediately releasing 10 inches of it before even bothering to give any gas.

With that said, again it's really easy to get used to so it's only troublesome for the first few starts.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Sidepiper, you don't have any issues now. That's great but have you actually removed the clutch cylinder and looked at the fluid? In a C6 manual trans the fluid was pretty much black after 1 drive and just got blacker and blacker as the dust continued to contaminate the fluid. So is your fluid clear or is it black also? Thanks, want to know before I commit to another manual trans.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Issues

I'm on my second flywheel/pressure/plate combination.

The first one shuddered/grabbed when releasing it slowly at low rpm (<1000) in 1st. The dealer agreed and it was all replaced.

The replacement is a little better but still does the same thing. So we checked crank end-throw which was well within limits...and actually on the low side of range.

I'm out of ideas and it beats the heck out of me. There are several other threads floating around where other owners have reported similar clutch issues.

Of course GM insists the shudder is "normal" and all the C7 M7's do it, but I've driven a couple of other Z51 M7's that are absolutely perfect. Its simply GM BS which the dealer is being forced to repeat to me.

There are 5000 miles on the new clutch now and every time I do an slow creep forward at a stop light I'm reminded of a Volkswagen I owned back in the 60's.

My 03 Z06's clutch was much better... both in pedal throw and engagement.

This is the worst clutch I've experienced in any performance car I have owned which include Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lotus's and DeTomaso's to name a few.

But aside from that... the car is awesome.

So I'll keep it and hope whatever is causing the problem comes apart while I'm still under warranty.

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 10-15-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnypro
I found the shifter took a little while to get used to since it always wants to gravitate towards 4th. I also mixed up 3rd and 5th occasionally when I first got the car, but after a few days of driving it became fairly effortless and now I love it.

As for the clutch, not sure if it's just me but at first it took a little getting used to. From fully depressed, it feels like the first 80% of the clutch movement does absolutely nothing. It doesn't seem to grab at all until about 81% released. So at first it felt odd because I felt like I was jamming the clutch down 12 inches and then immediately releasing 10 inches of it before even bothering to give any gas.

With that said, again it's really easy to get used to so it's only troublesome for the first few starts.
That has been exactly my experience. The last inch or two of clutch travel is where the action is, but once you get used to that it's a joy. Very predictable and controllable. I also have the same issue with the shifter. Getting to 5,6,7 requires some extra effort. But only 250 miles so far so things may change with use.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mine makes a kind of click or snap noise if you release it too quickly. I can feel it also in the pedal. Not sure what it is but it's not pleasant.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Smooth as butter.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

C7 clutch definitely has a different feel than my 04 Z06.
The Z06 clutch was smooth engagement, and C7 still has a little chatter when you let it out too slow, and it engages suddenly, not much transition.
Getting used to it now after about 3500 miles.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Caholo1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My clutch is very smooth. But, it does seem to grab all at once.
It took a couple of days to get used to it and I was fine.

It would be better if it grabbed over more travel.
The shifter is great. Over all, I'm very happy with it and I love the
hill assist.

Cheers,
Caholo1

Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I have 3000 miles on my C7. I can't complain about the clutch.It will do whatever I want it to do.If I want I can take off as smooth as any automatic.
If I want to launch,no problems.It works good for me.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:24 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Well.. I gotta disagree about the short throw part. It seem pretty damn long to me
I've heard the same thing. Doesn't engage until almost all the way out. Wonder if it's adjustable? (another thread?)
Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot

The first one shuddered/grabbed when releasing it slowly at low rpm (<1000) in 1st. The dealer agreed and it was all replaced.

GM insists the shudder is "normal" and all the C7 M7's do it, but I've driven a couple of other Z51 M7's that are absolutely perfect.

This is the worst clutch I've experienced in any performance car
This is actually what i feared....

My sense is the Z51 has a taller gear and it cancels out this issue

An engineer here once said that the "level of tolerances and limits within Corvette components is so wide and the quality control at this price point so low" that you will have folks that have clutches that shift like butter and others that shudder horribly. Its just the combination of which part, assembler and how it was torqued/mated/seated that makes the difference.

I believe it.

Certain famous C6 issues: body gaps/peel, crackling/pop top, whining differential, harmonic balancer, seat rocking, squeaks/rattles are non-existent in my 20K mi C6 but others have from day 1.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
This is actually what i feared....

My sense is the Z51 has a taller gear and it cancels out this issue
Hey NYC, this is a 2014 Z51 with ARH long-tubes and a Halltech cold-air induction system.

And the crank end-play is on the very low side of the tolerance so that's not the problem as I had originally thought after the first R&R didn't help.

And we didn't just replace the clutch plate, we also replaced the flywheel and pressure plate. When the dealer first drove mine to check it out it was "a problem for sure". Now it's "GM normal" and I've yet to drive another Z51 with the same clutch shudder.

Also understand when you load the clutch with some power combined with a fairly quick release you don't get the shudder. Its only during the near idle rpm slow release 'creep forward' maneuver that you get it.

Go figure...
Old 11-03-2014, 01:23 PM
bjhayes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Mine makes a kind of click or snap noise if you release it too quickly. I can feel it also in the pedal. Not sure what it is but it's not pleasant.

Same here...
Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Sidepiper, you don't have any issues now. That's great but have you actually removed the clutch cylinder and looked at the fluid? In a C6 manual trans the fluid was pretty much black after 1 drive and just got blacker and blacker as the dust continued to contaminate the fluid. So is your fluid clear or is it black also? Thanks, want to know before I commit to another manual trans.
Unfortunately the C7 has the same issue. The manual also says to do a complete fluid change every 2 years. The old Ranger method that so many people do is not the same as a complete fluid change and it is only a cosmetic fluid change.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Probably so! Guess Ive gotten used to my wife's ZO6 short throw (I forget which one....)
Let me get this straight: you've forgotten which of your wife's Z06's has the short throw shifter (in which case she has more than one), or you've forgotten which wife, in which case you do(?)

Get notified of new replies

To So.....how's the C7 clutch?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

The MN7 is just ok. The C6 MN6 is better IMO. The 7 speed is overkill that basically has you searching for gears from 3-5 as it wants to go into 7 instead. Its also notchy as hell IMO as the shifter wants to kick out of gear into neutral when shifting. Other than that, its a great car!!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:26 AM
Dave@gotboostPerf
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Hey NYC, this is a 2014 Z51 with ARH long-tubes and a Halltech cold-air induction system.

And the crank end-play is on the very low side of the tolerance so that's not the problem as I had originally thought after the first R&R didn't help.

And we didn't just replace the clutch plate, we also replaced the flywheel and pressure plate. When the dealer first drove mine to check it out it was "a problem for sure". Now it's "GM normal" and I've yet to drive another Z51 with the same clutch shudder.

Also understand when you load the clutch with some power combined with a fairly quick release you don't get the shudder. Its only during the near idle rpm slow release 'creep forward' maneuver that you get it.

Go figure...
I hear ya, as mine has the dreaded shudder when taking off from a stop. If I'm ultra careful and really pay attention I sometimes can take off without much shudder but I've never driven a manual that you had to be so careful taking off unless there was something wrong. Like yours there has to be something wrong in the pressure plate, disc, throw-out bearing, flywheel area. Also like you I have owned and still own numerous cars that are manuals, and what I'm experiencing is not normal.
I'll be taking it to the dealer soon but after seeing the lack of joy with yours I'm not too confident they will be successful fixing it.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I find the dual disk clutch in the C7 is easier to modulate than the C6 but neither can be as easy to control or can they be slipped like a lower HP Honda. It reminds me of the Honda Accord my wife had some years ago. A magazine review called the standard shift transmission “switch like,” and it was. But manipulating the large gear clusters in the C7 will never make it “switch like!” Lots of HP and torque to control by the clutch and transmission.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-04-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Quick Reply: So.....how's the C7 clutch?