Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Any new updates?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Default C7 Clutch feel Poll ?

How does your C7 Clutch operate after 1+yr of use?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:49 PM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
How does your C7 Clutch operate after 1+yr of use?
Works great! Just like the day I bought it.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:19 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts
Default C7 Clutch feel Poll ?

15 months. 12500 miles. Works great.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

It's great, fine....just like day one.

Kevin, why did you start a 2nd thread on the exact same topic? Please don't do that-I've merged your 2 threads together.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-10-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:58 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I have 7500 miles on my C7, the clutch is perfect.Shifter is perfect.Engine is perfect.The
Whole car is perfect.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Johniorio4
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
I'm on my second flywheel/pressure/plate combination.

The first one shuddered/grabbed when releasing it slowly at low rpm (<1000) in 1st. The dealer agreed and it was all replaced.

The replacement is a little better but still does the same thing. So we checked crank end-throw which was well within limits...and actually on the low side of range.

I'm out of ideas and it beats the heck out of me. There are several other threads floating around where other owners have reported similar clutch issues.

Of course GM insists the shudder is "normal" and all the C7 M7's do it, but I've driven a couple of other Z51 M7's that are absolutely perfect. Its simply GM BS which the dealer is being forced to repeat to me.

There are 5000 miles on the new clutch now and every time I do an slow creep forward at a stop light I'm reminded of a Volkswagen I owned back in the 60's.

My 03 Z06's clutch was much better... both in pedal throw and engagement.

This is the worst clutch I've experienced in any performance car I have owned which include Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lotus's and DeTomaso's to name a few.

But aside from that... the car is awesome.

So I'll keep it and hope whatever is causing the problem comes apart while I'm still under warranty.

I would agree. I have always thought the clutch to be overly tempermental. That, along with consistent shuttering/grabbing is really the only gripe I have with this car. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:38 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm on my second flywheel/pressure/plate combination.

The first one shuddered/grabbed when releasing it slowly at low rpm (<1000) in 1st. The dealer agreed and it was all replaced.

The replacement is a little better but still does the same thing. So we checked crank end-throw which was well within limits...and actually on the low side of range.

I'm out of ideas and it beats the heck out of me. There are several other threads floating around where other owners have reported similar clutch issues.

Of course GM insists the shudder is "normal" and all the C7 M7's do it, but I've driven a couple of other Z51 M7's that are absolutely perfect. Its simply GM BS which the dealer is being forced to repeat to me.

There are 5000 miles on the new clutch now and every time I do an slow creep forward at a stop light I'm reminded of a Volkswagen I owned back in the 60's.

My 03 Z06's clutch was much better... both in pedal throw and engagement.

This is the worst clutch I've experienced in any performance car I have owned which include Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lotus's and DeTomaso's to name a few.

But aside from that... the car is awesome.

So I'll keep it and hope whatever is causing the problem comes apart while I'm still under warranty.

Hey NYC, this is a 2014 Z51 with ARH long-tubes and a Halltech cold-air induction system.

And the crank end-play is on the very low side of the tolerance so that's not the problem as I had originally thought after the first R&R didn't help.

And we didn't just replace the clutch plate, we also replaced the flywheel and pressure plate. When the dealer first drove mine to check it out it was "a problem for sure". Now it's "GM normal" and I've yet to drive another Z51 with the same clutch shudder.

Also understand when you load the clutch with some power combined with a fairly quick release you don't get the shudder. Its only during the near idle rpm slow release 'creep forward' maneuver that you get it.

Go figure...
this is exactly what's happening with mine, when I take it in next week for an oil change I'm going to bring this up.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

There are a couple threads on C7 Clutch shudder...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-shudder.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hattering.html

My take is its just tolerances, seating, assembly QC; some owners are lucky and theirs are perfectly mated, aligned (w/driveline, tube, engne, etc), and operate as designed , while others are not.

Normal at this price point for Tremec I guess.

Last edited by Kevin_NYC; 07-11-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

After two thousand miles and a parade my clutch stopped grabbing and now works like I anticipated. At first you never knew when it would grab and I stalled the engine more than I care to admit. Another surprise is hill hold assist; at first you didn't know when or if it would engage and I didn't think much of it. Occasionally it didn't release properly and that caused me to stall the engine. Now the system works really good and the negative is now a positive.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:59 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Default clutch

perfect...............
Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

7,700 miles and 4 months old and the clutch is the least favorite part of the car for me. My C6 was much smoother and predictable, not so with my C7. And I have stalled it several times. I have found that if I slowly let it out and use a lot of throttle she work just fine. But can't just ease it out without a good supply of gas. In the C6 I could just let it out and idle the car away from stop signs, also could let out the clutch in the C6 with no gas and hammer it to get a great start. Try that in my C7 and you are grandly embarrassed at the stop sign.
Now I got to find the thread about the cruse control...damn near as bad as the clutch.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:42 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
7,700 miles and 4 months old and the clutch is the least favorite part of the car for me. My C6 was much smoother and predictable, not so with my C7. And I have stalled it several times. I have found that if I slowly let it out and use a lot of throttle she work just fine. But can't just ease it out without a good supply of gas. In the C6 I could just let it out and idle the car away from stop signs, also could let out the clutch in the C6 with no gas and hammer it to get a great start. Try that in my C7 and you are grandly embarrassed at the stop sign.
Now I got to find the thread about the cruse control...damn near as bad as the clutch.
I have never in my life eased out on the clutch without giving it gas.Sometimes a lot of gas.Depends on how frisky I am at that moment.
Some of you might say maybe riding or burning of the clutch.I must be doing something right.Never have needed clutch replacement.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:16 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After 9 k miles my Z51 clutch is perfect still....no shudder whatsoever....now my 08 C6 a different story from day one .....very timid sometimes it would shudder worse then other times, but never bad enough to take in for a warranty replacement...never got better or worse in the 30 k miles I owned it! I hope this will make you go for
it. The C7 is really a great refined car from previous versions.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:35 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Interesting to see that some people don't experience chatter/shudder and some do. If I get on the gas a bit (not enough to spin the tires) off the start or ride the clutch then it's fine but if not then it snorts and sounds like schit. Also if I'm cruising around in any gear and the RPM's are below give or take 2500, then I floor it, the chatter is there for a brief moment. Now I don't ever recall this noise coming from my C5, I put 100,000 kms on it before I sold it and the clutch was just as good as the day I bought it with 24,000 kms. The only time it made that shuddering noise was when I turned the engine off without the clutch pedal depressed.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

For me, I only thing I don't like is the clutch doesn't start to grab until it's about 50% released from fully depressed in first gear with little play. I like it better when it starts to grab sooner.

Everything else as smooth as silk. I would still get the manual if I did it again.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:17 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

My C7's clutch operation is smooth and does not chatter. However, at times I find the engagement point can be somewhat abrupt, though not excessively so. Also, the pedal effort is too light (especially at the very top of the pedal). The light clutch does not compliment the heavier shifter effort. I like when these two are more closely matched. In general, I prefer medium weighted clutch and shifter feel/effort.

Last edited by VY427; 09-03-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To So.....how's the C7 clutch?

Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Perfect, no clatter or any other issues shifts are nice and tight all is good.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I have 15K miles on my car right now, and I am at around 1100 rwhp.. and have not had any issues. Once I throw on some drag radials for the track and do some hard launches I will need to switch out the clutch with a Mantic triple disc clutch. But so far so good.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Well, it's shorter than anything I've driven in a while... My E92 M3 and my E36 M3 track car.

I guess that "short" is subjective.
It's shorter than my C5 Z06, but the part that I don't particularly like is that there is a pretty big gap from fully depressed to the time the clutch is engaged. I find myself revving the engine, but not going anywhere and then I let up on the gas and release the clutch more and stall. I'm used to it now, but I still have muscle memory from 11 years in my 2004 Z06.

Quick Reply: So.....how's the C7 clutch?