C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Looking for feedback to determine whether to put this grille style into production
Love it, want it (This color or different color combination)
39.56%
Looks great
26.37%
Like it, not sure if I'd get one
17.58%
Not for me
18.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Can't wait for a Z06 grille?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:04 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can't wait for a Z06 grille?

The photo below is a Pre-Production Z06 Style Prototype grille that RaceMesh is currently producing a one off version of. They're looking for constructive feedback to measure interest and determine whether to put it into regular production.

If produced, RaceMesh will offer all of their choices of mesh. The frame and vents will come finished in factory Carbon Flash Metallic. Body colored frame/vents will also be available and possibly carbon fiber.

I noticed in the Z06 photos, their wide mesh, allows you to clearly see everything (bolts, plastic, radiator, etc) that's behind the grille. Also can't imagine with that wide of mesh, it will offer much protection from rocks and other debris that could easily damage the radiator. I think this offers a clean, but aggressive look that ties in well with the rest of the C7's edgy design, and keeps all the mechanical stuff behind the grille, safe and out of sight.

I personally think it looks great. Love how the vents break up the huge grille space. Look forward to your feedback, even the colorful ones!! Created a private poll for people to just vote on it as well.

Just a few of the RaceMesh options below. Many more on their website at www.racemeshgrilles.com

Last edited by LuvnMyC7; 02-27-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C7 Grill

Personally I like the classic/retro look of the stock grill. However, I am clearly in the minority on this forum. Most owners seem to desire a more contemporary grill to better match the rest of the car.

For those looking for a more contemporary grill, I think that yours is the BEST LOOKING GRILL I have seen yet........GREAT JOB!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The photoshop looks pretty good. I dig it.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:27 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

My state (TX) requires a front plate. Will there be a solution for this grill? Obviously the GM plate holder or Aero Panel won't work, as designed at least.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by BigJoe
My state (TX) requires a front plate. Will there be a solution for this grill? Obviously the GM plate holder or Aero Panel won't work, as designed at least.
I know there are companies out there that make a front plate holder that mounts from underneath the car. Some of the nicer ones also have the ability to retract the plate underneath the car so if you're showing the car, you can hide the front plate, then expose it when driving. Either of those would be my recommendation if you have to have a front plate.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7
I know there are companies out there that make a front plate holder that mounts from underneath the car. Some of the nicer ones also have the ability to retract the plate underneath the car so if you're showing the car, you can hide the front plate, then expose it when driving. Either of those would be my recommendation if you have to have a front plate.
Both, unfortunately, illegal in TX... Since more and more states are seeing the benefit of the "missing front plate" revenue stream, Finding ways to display a front plate will be a problem that is only going to get worse.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Both, unfortunately, illegal in TX... Since more and more states are seeing the benefit of the "missing front plate" revenue stream, Finding ways to display a front plate will be a problem that is only going to get worse.
Ditto OH, love the look of this
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

love it!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

The one that mounts underneath the front of the car, but does not retract would keep you legal. The mount is underneath, but the plate is displayed just in front of the grille and partially between the front fangs on the nose. From the photos I saw, it looked pretty clean. With that one, you'd be legal. The retractable one is similar, it just gives you the option to lower it out of the way if you're parked and showing the car.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ In TX, at least, the plate must be 12 inches off the ground, Which is why the Aero Panel is technically "not to be used to hold a plate." And any mechanism that allows the plate to be moved (hidden) is also ilegal. (Weird TX laws)

Don't get me wrong, I love the black mesh grill and would have one in a second if I knew I would not be asking for a $200 fine passing any LEO.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

love it....is there a chrome bar option ??? he he he
Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be in on the black chrome, i take it you have to pull the bumper to install.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM
thespymaster
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:06 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

It looks nice - but after applying a vinyl carbon fiber tape over the factory chrome retainer I love the appearance of the stock grill. $15 for the tape. Can't beat that.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

That looks really nice - just have to retro fit to use gm front plate solution - keep my eyes on this
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by rsvette12
That looks really nice - just have to retro fit to use gm front plate solution - keep my eyes on this
The car in the photo is my car, I just held up the license plate bracket. Seems like a simple modification to get it to work. Would just have to cut down the pegs on the back of the bracket so the sides sit flush with the grille. Then drill holes into the pegs on the back, buy some plastic/wood screws and screw it on from behind the grille. So it's doable. And appears would be fairly accessible by removing just the lower pan between the nose and the radiator if you ever wanted to get in there to take it off. I would fit it all up first, while the grille is out of the car. It could work though without too much of an effort. You'd only be cutting on the backside of the plate bracket, so you wouldn't have to worry about it being a super clean cut job to the pegs.

Last edited by LuvnMyC7; 02-27-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
I would be in on the black chrome, i take it you have to pull the bumper to install.
Yes, the bumper does have to come off. I was a little skeptical about pulling the bumper, but it turns out, it wasn't nearly as difficult as it sounds. The instructions from RaceMesh say 45 minutes. Any body shop can do it in less than hour. I did mine by myself and took my time being EXTRA careful and had it done in about an hour and a half. Second time around will be a ton quicker now that I know what I'm doing.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't wait for a Z06 grille?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

I'm sure most of you already know, but the grille in the photo below is currently available, for anyone that doesn't want the Z06 vents.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Well I luv the Z06 vents and wanted to see it in some colors quick photoshop hope you dont mind

Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure most of you already know, but the grille in the photo below is currently available, for anyone that doesn't want the Z06 vents.

What color/style is the one in this photo? PM me the cost for the one in the photo. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Can't wait for a Z06 grille?