Sponsored by:

Plasti Dip your C7 yet? I wanna see...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Sugar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette

I would never do the whole car, but trim pieces, accents, emblems, or even that nasty front grill chrome piece. That being said, I have laid my eyes on new audi's and farrari's plasti dipped from head to toe, and it looked F'n amazing. And the BEST part is, it all PEELS OFF, and the paint looks amazing underneath! It protects the factory finish better than a 3M wrap. Check it out Ken, some really awesome stuff

If I did wrap the whole car, i wouldn't use the rattle can. I would order a few gallon jugs, and use a real paint gun.
I will buy the 3 gallon kit and have a pro spray it on. I think the troll is not informed or educated on it and is so caught up in his opinion that he is blinded.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I would never do the whole car, but trim pieces, accents, emblems, or even that nasty front grill chrome piece. That being said, I have laid my eyes on new audi's and farrari's plasti dipped from head to toe, and it looked F'n amazing. And the BEST part is, it all PEELS OFF, and the paint looks amazing underneath! It protects the factory finish better than a 3M wrap. Check it out Ken, some really awesome stuff

If I did wrap the whole car, i wouldn't use the rattle can. I would order a few gallon jugs, and use a real paint gun.
I'm familiar with the stuff - in fact I'm considering using it on my wheels and that chrome strip in the front grill.

As for doing the entire car, to each his own I suppose. My opinion remains it is to do so. But that's me....
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see where you are both coming from. Awesome tech either way, and I'm just so happy with my wheels. I just wish they could make a true "clear" plasti dip so I could do my front bumper, and side mirrors.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:02 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to plastidip your car, the more power to you. Personally, I love the matte color look. Have a friend recently that dipped his car in a red that came out amazing.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Sugar
It is 10 degrees here in OKC and ice and snow so I figured I would test weather mose in my $70,000 car and head to the Lowes and get a can an pick up some propane for the garage heater and give me something to do. I think for a guy who is trading in a $70,000 car every year for a new $70,000 car and likes the look of plasti dip that it is a great idea. Removable and keep from having silly little scratches on my $70,000 car. I am going to leave the wheels on the car and give it a shot and if I screw it up I will peel it off later. It is funny how trolls work. They get off on posting stuff that they think other trolls will think is funny and then they get no feedback and it forces them to go find another post to hit with their jackassery. What they don't realize is that I didn't get into a position to buy $70,000 cars by listening to jackass opinions.
Sugar, don't let em get under your skin. You do and they win you lose simply by getting upset about it. This isn't the first forum for me and I find it's a useful tool to make better and more sound decisions for what I'm about to embark on early next year (2015 Z06). I've experienced this in other forums as many of us probably have, soooo let it go. It ain't worth getting upset over.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
WS6R6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not mine:

(I have no problem with plasti-dip, get over yourselves if you're upset...just don't do it on your own car)

Last edited by WS6R6; 03-03-2014 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fastmikefree (04-29-2016)
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

orange is sick... Period
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM
WS6R6
Instructor

Also not mine:

Old 03-03-2014, 04:37 PM
efein95
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My brothers and I have had our fair share of experience with Plasti Dip. We mostly only dip emblems and wheels, but we've tried larger sections on our cars such as a stripe on the hood. Personally I think it's a great, temporary alternative to getting a new paint job or a wrap! It's cheap, easy, comes in several different colors and finishes now (which are awesome!), and most importantly protects your paint. Perfect for the winter. If someone wants to experiment with their car, I'd say that this is certainly one of the safest things to do

The one thing any newbie should do is PRACTICE spraying it beforehand! We dipped our wheelbarrow, for example, since it was rusting anyway. If you're doing the whole car, invest in the big sprayer from dipyourcar.com so the coats are even. Keep each coat thin, and allow plenty of time to dry in between. Any mistake will continue to show up, even after several coats. So take your time!!

Also, for those who don't know about the different types of dip, there's one called Smoke which you can use to tint reflectors and taillights! I swear I'm not secretly working for Plastidip, haha. Just became a victim of my siblings' obsession

Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Fastmikefree (04-29-2016)
Old 03-03-2014, 05:10 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by efein95
My brothers and I have had our fair share of experience with Plasti Dip. We mostly only dip emblems and wheels, but we've tried larger sections on our cars such as a stripe on the hood. Personally I think it's a great, temporary alternative to getting a new paint job or a wrap! It's cheap, easy, comes in several different colors and finishes now (which are awesome!), and most importantly protects your paint. Perfect for the winter. If someone wants to experiment with their car, I'd say that this is certainly one of the safest things to do

The one thing any newbie should do is PRACTICE spraying it beforehand! We dipped our wheelbarrow, for example, since it was rusting anyway. If you're doing the whole car, invest in the big sprayer from dipyourcar.com so the coats are even. Keep each coat thin, and allow plenty of time to dry in between. Any mistake will continue to show up, even after several coats. So take your time!!

Also, for those who don't know about the different types of dip, there's one called Smoke which you can use to tint reflectors and taillights! I swear I'm not secretly working for Plastidip, haha. Just became a victim of my siblings' obsession

Best of luck!
You guys have convinced me to get a can of black plasti dip and do a stinger and the chrome grill stripe. May do the wheels too.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Sugar
Instructor

Now there is some good, constructive posting! Thanks for the time guys! Gonna do all the remaining chrome over the next few days and will be considering what color I want to do the whole car in.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6R6
Not mine:

(I have no problem with plasti-dip, get over yourselves if you're upset...just don't do it on your own car)

I saw this one driving down the beltway in houston towards I-10. I had to do a double take cause it was Orange. Was like "where the heck did that color come from". Look very cool in person and cannot believe it is plasti dip.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM
netguy
Instructor

Did my front emblem and chrome strip, as well as the rear emblem and "corvette" lettering. Quite happy - very clean IMO.

Also, you can see the hide-a-way license plate on the front left. It's not as noticeable from a standing position (I was down low in order to shoot the front pic).
Attached Images   
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Sugar
Instructor

Originally Posted by netguy
Did my front emblem and chrome strip, as well as the rear emblem and "corvette" lettering. Quite happy - very clean IMO.

Also, you can see the hide-a-way license plate on the front left. It's not as noticeable from a standing position (I was down low in order to shoot the front pic).
Did my front emblem black today and turned out good but struggled with pooling at the top. Especially the center of the V. I used a toothpick to try to get it out when it was still wet and used a razor blade to cut off the extra that had pooled up along the top edge. So...before I go and try the chrome strip tomorrow can you tell be how you did it without pulling tape and taking off the dip from the chrome meets the plastic?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Ya know....I think it's funny how many people chime in and give their opinions. I don't care if it's a $30,000 or a $70,000 car. I asked a simple question and have had half the responses come back as total jackassery. I really don't care how much my car cost me. I went and dyed my stitching inside without doing a test area. I have changed all kinds of things on the car. Why do you guys care so much? Seems like a pretty stupid reason to reply to someone's request for information. One of the posters has 54,000 posts??? I can only imagine that the guy sits around and looks for people to harrass and has a stash of self made memes that he is attaching to people's posts that he has no interest in. If you don't have answers then don't post. This is not like the guy who talked about picking up the 25 yr old bimbo at the bar by showing her his car. This is not a post that is asking for it. It is a simple question. Now...I am heading to Lowes IN THE FREAKIN ICE AND SNOW in my $70,000 CORVETTE STINGRAY and getting some matte clear plasti dip to try on my paint, wheels and wherever else I decide I want to try it.

Thanks to the guys who took the time to respectfully reply to my post. I do appreciate it.
STOP: i know nothing about the subject, but have decided to do the chrome bar on the grille with the plastidip. from what ive read, that is what this stuff is for--not for protecting your entire car. im trying the product called expel (think thats right) for my door edges. i think this may also be used for larger areas, and you might look into it. try looking up "clear bras"--yea, thats the phrase. it seems that many use this for more extensive areas.

my apologies on behalf of the many angry, sexually frustrated, just plain nasty people on this site. many of us have gone thru this experience. my recommendation to you is to try to identify the very few that possess any real knowledge of the vette (or of anything), and use the pm system. i have found on that basis most all are more civil to you, and for those that respond, tend to actually possess knowledge.

alternatively, go to another site. there is one, but if i posted it they would just delete it; suffice it to say that it has the name stingray in it.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Sugar
Instructor

Originally Posted by thedofuss
STOP: i know nothing about the subject, but have decided to do the chrome bar on the grille with the plastidip. from what ive read, that is what this stuff is for--not for protecting your entire car. im trying the product called expel (think thats right) for my door edges. i think this may also be used for larger areas, and you might look into it. try looking up "clear bras"--yea, thats the phrase. it seems that many use this for more extensive areas.

my apologies on behalf of the many angry, sexually frustrated, just plain nasty people on this site. many of us have gone thru this experience. my recommendation to you is to try to identify the very few that possess any real knowledge of the vette (or of anything), and use the pm system. i have found on that basis most all are more civil to you, and for those that respond, tend to actually possess knowledge.

alternatively, go to another site. there is one, but if i posted it they would just delete it; suffice it to say that it has the name stingray in it.
Okay so say I like the look of the matte finish and can keep my paint from getting scratched wouldn't plasti dip be a good option? Maybe even just to change the color or look of the car? I may want Matte blue and in a few months just peel it off and go orange or Sooner crimson? Seems like an absolutely spectacular idea for a supercar that isn't a low end car. I spend more time in the garage with my car than I spend in car so why not keep it fresh without spending thousands on paint or wraps? Not sure why there are so many nice cars with dip on the web but so many C7 guys don't like it. Why are Audi, Porsche, Ferrari and every other kinds of cars dipped but not hardly any C7's? Aside from personal opinions from guys that haven't done it, wouldn't do it, haven't seen it in real life or have an opinion that is based solely on personal opinion why not do it? I have seen Fonzy's videos and they cars look SPECTACULAR! I think a SEMA vette was dipped wasn't it? Would be sweet to be able to peel it off in an hour or so and go with something else or keep it original! What is wrong with plasti dip on paint? I guess I don't get it. I just wanted to find out if there are pics from guys on this forum who have done it and see some pics.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 AM
netguy
Instructor

Did my front emblem black today and turned out good but struggled with pooling at the top. Especially the center of the V. I used a toothpick to try to get it out when it was still wet and used a razor blade to cut off the extra that had pooled up along the top edge. So...before I go and try the chrome strip tomorrow can you tell be how you did it without pulling tape and taking off the dip from the chrome meets the plastic?
Sugar, I had no problems. With the chrome strip, I cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water. After wiping it dry and using canned air to get the little cracks, I let it sit for about 30 min. I taped it off first with blue painters tape, then I attached brown painters paper (comes in a roll), then covered the car with a packing blanket. My entire car was covered from the front to behind the targa top (I'm weird about over spray).

I used 6-7 coats. The first 2 coats are very light - perhaps only taking 5 seconds or so for each coat. You do *not* want it to run, or it will dry that way. I waited 10-15 minutes in between each coat. After the last coat dried, I used a clear coat spray to give it a little sheen. Removing the dip by hand from an angle worked best for me. I had little to no "work" that needed to be completed with a toothpick. Everything stuck to the spots it was supposed to stick to.

As with paint color, wheel color and everything else on this forum, everyone's got an opinion. If you want to do it, then do it. If not, no worries

PM me if you have any Q's or want close up pics.

*EDIT: Also, leave about 1.5 - 2 inches of area around your emblems. Don't get the painters tape too close, or it won't have anything to stick to.

-Sean

Get notified of new replies

To Plasti Dip your C7 yet? I wanna see...

Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 AM
Sugar
Instructor

Sugar, I had no problems. With the chrome strip, I cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water. After wiping it dry and using canned air to get the little cracks, I let it sit for about 30 min. I taped it off first with blue painters tape, then I attached brown painters paper (comes in a roll), then covered the car with a packing blanket. My entire car was covered from the front to behind the targa top (I'm weird about over spray).

I used 6-7 coats. The first 2 coats are very light - perhaps only taking 5 seconds or so for each coat. You do *not* want it to run, or it will dry that way. I waited 10-15 minutes in between each coat. After the last coat dried, I used a clear coat spray to give it a little sheen. Removing the dip by hand from an angle worked best for me. I had little to no "work" that needed to be completed with a toothpick. Everything stuck to the spots it was supposed to stick to.

As with paint color, wheel color and everything else on this forum, everyone's got an opinion. If you want to do it, then do it. If not, no worries

PM me if you have any Q's or want close up pics.

-Sean
Thanks Sean. Did you tape right next to the chrome strip? And when you peeled the tape you didn't pull any dip off the chrome or did it just cut a clean line?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 AM
netguy
Instructor

Thanks Sean. Did you tape right next to the chrome strip? And when you peeled the tape you didn't pull any dip off the chrome or did it just cut a clean line?
Correct. It stuck to the chrome very easily. Don't put any tape on the actual chrome, rather just get it as close to the "seam" as you can. Don't forget to mind the over spray!

-S
Old 03-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Sugar
Instructor

Correct. It stuck to the chrome very easily. Don't put any tape on the actual chrome, rather just get it as close to the "seam" as you can. Don't forget to mind the over spray!

-S
Awesome info! Thank ya sir! Will do that tomorrow and worst case scenario I have to peel it off and try again. Lowes is close so if I need more dip I can run over there and get enough to get it right.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip your C7 yet? I wanna see...