Sponsored by:

February 2014 Corvette Sales total 2,438

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
So as expected the market is being flooded which simply means the 14's are already dropping like the Titanic. Anyone who wants a new C7 should wait for the 15's to arrive unless you're getting 7-10k off the window.
No, I don't think that's what it means.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

What about the other 898 dealerships?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I think that is high. Right now they have produced 17,000 Cars in 8 months, or about 2,125/mo. average; assuming they produce the 30,000 suggested, that means another 13,000 cars in 5 months, or an average of 2,600/month.
I think currently they are averaging 115 cars a day, which works out 2,875/month - nowhere near 3,250.
As for unsold inventory, it is less than you think. Kerbeck has 27 coupes and 35 convertibles in stock, which is 2 weeks of allocations; MacMulkin has 32 coupes and 14 convertibles in stock, which is also about 2 weeks of allocations. Two weeks of inventory this time of year isn't a lot, and that is the reason prices have remained pretty firm.
They started up in the middle of August so that's 6.5 months in production, not eight. Then they didn't start from the git go building at 100%. They had a gradual startup for the first couple of months. Then there was a lot of holiday shut down days during the last couple months of 2013.

Your 17,000 number, does that include the 1,050 Premier editions that have a different VIN ending sequence? I don't think so.

18,000 divided by 6.5 months equals 2769 cars per month average. They are producing more today than what they have averaged for the past 6.5 months.

If the supply starts to get to far out in front of the demand, than GM always has the option to cut out the overtime to decrease the dealer's stocks(but I doubt they will). As long as the dealer's are ordering what they are allocated, GM will keep building. Way too early for the dealers to get concerned about being stuck with a bunch of unsold cars. If they start backing up on the dealer's lots, GM will offer the dealers some incentives to keep them ordering.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-03-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
Apparently nobody gets it. I know how the system works, I just don't agree with it.

If two people were being mugged, one looks to be well off and the other looks to be just the average guy, I'll help the well off person because I might be rewarded and screw the other guy because he probably can't afford to give a reward.

Do you get my meaning? I understand rewarding the "big" dealerships with more allocations, but the small dealerships need to be treated better than they are.
Nobody is being mugged, that's not a good analogy. Maybe you're not into Capitalism, and it's certainly your right to feel that way, but that's not the way things work in the USA.

If you want to do your little dealer a favor, then buy the C7 at a big dealer -- meaning you'll get it right away -- and then get all your service done at the little dealer.

I've heard this mantra about "supporting the local dealer" among a die-hard few, and it's really misguided. Your little dealer will not go bankrupt because you buy your C7 elsewhere. They will make plenty of money off of your service. In fact, over the life of the car they will make a lot more from your service than from the initial sale.

Buy your Volt or Silverado or some other easy-to-come-by car from your local dealer, and get your C7 immediately from a large dealer. Your little dealer will be just fine.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speednet why do you think the Corvette has always been considered a dime a dozen product? It's the typical GM modus operandi, sacrifice quality for quantity and who cares about value. Yes that's what it means IMO!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

No more beating this horse into the ground.[/QUOTE]

Why not? I thought you enjoyed this sort of thing.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Speednet
Nobody is being mugged, that's not a good analogy. Maybe you're not into Capitalism, and it's certainly your right to feel that way, but that's not the way things work in the USA.

If you want to do your little dealer a favor, then buy the C7 at a big dealer -- meaning you'll get it right away -- and then get all your service done at the little dealer.

I've heard this mantra about "supporting the local dealer" among a die-hard few, and it's really misguided. Your little dealer will not go bankrupt because you buy your C7 elsewhere. They will make plenty of money off of your service. In fact, over the life of the car they will make a lot more from your service than from the initial sale.

Buy your Volt or Silverado or some other easy-to-come-by car from your local dealer, and get your C7 immediately from a large dealer. Your little dealer will be just fine.

I would of gone to a bigger dealership to place my order. As a matter of fact I did at first. But I won't pay the markup, so I moved on to a dealer that dose not practice the art of price gouging.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I would of gone to a bigger dealership to place my order. As a matter of fact I did at first. But I won't pay the markup, so I moved on to a dealer that dose not practice the art of price gouging.
Really, My local dealer(top 36) was selling their C7's with a $1,000 discount(net after DOC fee) starting from day one( a year ago). Presently they are selling incoming Z51's for a $1,000 discount and non Z51's for a much greater discount than that.

Just recently, a forum member purchased his Z51 with a $3,000 discount from a forum dealer that is not in the top 50.

Another local dealer(to me) that only got two coupes and one convertible on the first round of allocations sold them for MSRP.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
So as expected the market is being flooded which simply means the 14's are already dropping like the Titanic. Anyone who wants a new C7 should wait for the 15's to arrive unless you're getting 7-10k off the window.

No more beating this horse into the ground.

Why not? I thought you enjoyed this sort of thing
Okay, since you asked. And BTW Dave at Kerbeck made you an offer and you didn't take it.

I REALLY hope this price increase is true--that would be hilarious
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

you're generally spot-on with your replies; but not this time. Warranty work is not reimbursed at the shops normal rate; a much lower labor rate. And there's is not a markup (profit) on the parts replaced either. Warranty work is considered "break even";... or a "necessary evil" and is not a money maker.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Why not just order from a dealer like Kerbeck, which never charges over MSRP, and then do a courtesy delivery at your local dealer?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Why not just order from a dealer like Kerbeck, which never charges over MSRP, and then do a courtesy delivery at your local dealer?
There is another 10 page thread, where Dave from Kerbeck even came on and offered him a GUARANTEED allocation to 3000 in one week, and he didn't take it.

"He want's to support his local guy".

Translated - He doesn't want a C7.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
you're generally spot-on with your replies; but not this time. Warranty work is not reimbursed at the shops normal rate; a much lower labor rate. And there's is not a markup (profit) on the parts replaced either. Warranty work is considered "break even";... or a "necessary evil" and is not a money maker.
I don't know, I made a lot of money for my local dealer's service department with my C5. With my C7, I'll be taking it in for a software update this week. They will charge 1.5 or 2 hours of service time to Chevrolet (I can't remember the exact amount), and I think they'll make a good profit on that. When I go to change out my tires after 15000 miles (or whatever they last), they get a nice bump from that too. Etc. I hear what you're saying, but I think they'll be doing pretty well from my service -- both warranty and not.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
There is another 10 page thread, where Dave from Kerbeck even came on and offered him a GUARANTEED allocation to 3000 in one week, and he didn't take it.

Like he could guarantee that. And besides, he didn't guarantee that in the first place, and can't guarantee a delivery date.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ATX-C7

Didn't know that, wow. I understand the picture better now, thanks.

Dave is a great guy -- the best dealer I have done business with, regardless of brand.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Like he could guarantee that. And besides, he didn't guarantee that in the first place, and can't guarantee a delivery date.
All I can tell you is that you should absolutely do business with Dave from Kerbeck. He is just fantastic, and he'll get your Corvette courtesy delivered to your local dealer. So if you want a C7, that would be my recommendation. I'll be going back to him when the Z06s are up for ordering.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Here we go again. Same old story, screw the little guy and kiss the butt of the big one. Meanwhile all those cars are sitting on lots unsold because they don't have the Z51 package, and the people that put up a deposit at a small dealer can f themselves.
YOU introduced this lame topic into this thread.

The big dealers earned the right. Topic is
Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

This car is a hit and will sell more than they thought!
Thus the price raise! It may take sales from others and really sell!

Quick Reply: February 2014 Corvette Sales total 2,438