Sponsored by:

"Made in America"? really?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Made in America"? really?

i read in another post that the corvette was "made in America", and that was one of the reasons he /she liked it. i have no facts, but given the many highly publicized relations with gm and china, id bet that at least 50% of the key parts are manufactured in china. anybody have any facts or see any info on this? also, think about it--you want to keep your costs down, where do you go for parts? im not faulting them for this, although it certainly does not serve to enhance the durability of the car in the long term.

hmmm....buy anything recently from china that actually worked? what was the first major problem gm had to deal with? the reprogramming of the communications center.

Last edited by thedofuss; 03-06-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: illiteracy
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

How about "Assembled in America"?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22 PM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
i read in another post that the corvette was "made in America", and that was one of the reasons he /she liked it. i have no facts, but given the many highly publicized relations with gm and china, id bet that at least 50% of the key parts are manufactured in china. anybody have any facts or see any info on this? also, think about it--you want to keep your costs down, where do you go for parts? im not faulting them for this, although it certainly does not serve to enhance the durability of the car in the long term.

hmmm....buy anything recently from china that actually worked? what was the first major problem gm had to deal with? the reprogramming of the communications center.
I'd bet $100 that you're wrong.

If you'd look at the window sticker, you'd see that 75% of the parts are U.S./Canadian. The engine and transmission are made in the United States.

Go ahead and send my winnings to the NCM for the remediation of the big hole.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Thedowell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I did notice when changing out my splash guards with new GM parts that the original guards were made in the USA and the replacements were made in China. Go figure.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Thedowell
I did notice when changing out my splash guards with new GM parts that the original guards were made in the USA and the replacements were made in China. Go figure.
Delco stuff has been made in China for quite some time now.

On a side note, *I* was made in America
Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very old news that many of the parts of the Corvette (and many other cars) are made elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought Corvette brought the casting of the blocks back top the states a few years ago
Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Engine made in Tonawanda, NY.

Manual transmission made in Queretaro, Mexico.

Headlamps, tail lamps and CHMSL made in Seymour, IN.

Last edited by cam30era; 03-06-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The profits stay here no trade imbalance.
z51vett
Doug
Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 PM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This is one of those subjects I could spend a lifetime discussing without any shot of agreement. I'll say this once and once only. I am in the IT Procurement business. It's what I do. If you think much of this stuff doesn't come from China you are living in a dream. I am the number 1 advocate of US Mfg. Without it we are dead, dead, dead. Get it? That said. For now we have decided to move this stuff around to get the best deals despite our workers unemployment, etc. OK, facts are facts. China has come a long way and their products are usually spec'd by the US company. If you want to buy a high quality carrying case with good zippers in China it's $10.00. If you want to buy it in the US it's ..... ooops. No one manufactures it here and no one can without at least a 3 year lead time and a $30M investment in a state of the art facility. And so the story goes. It's your job as an American buyer to stop bitching and do something, anything! Buy American if you can but pay more until we can turn the tide. Stop bitching about price increases on the Vette. It's a small price to pay. I recently offered one of my compatriots a deal. You set up a new facility and I will work for you for free for two years to make sure you succeed. In case you didn't get this turn already, I am not an assembler but rather a manufacturing engineer trained by no other than the great IBM before the world turned to profits before innovation and quality. Thanks for listening and thanks for not whining anymore.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Delco stuff has been made in China for quite some time now.

On a side note, *I* was made in America
Prove it with your longform!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta
I'd bet $100 that you're wrong.

If you'd look at the window sticker, you'd see that 75% of the parts are U.S./Canadian. The engine and transmission are made in the United States.

Go ahead and send my winnings to the NCM for the remediation of the big hole.
That is a solid percentage of US sourced parts. I see no issue here.

The OP seems to make a habit of stirring up stuff without much basis in fact....
Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by cam30era
Engine made in Tonawanda, NY.

Manual transmission made in Queretaro, Mexico.

Headlamps, tail lamps and CHMSL made in Seymour, IN.
On the window sticker for my A6 car, it states "Country of Origin" for "Engine" and "Transmission" as "United States".
S.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
On the window sticker for my A6 car, it states "Country of Origin" for "Engine" and "Transmission" as "United States".
S.
Correct. GM Hydramatic manufactures the automatic trans in the US. The manual is made by Tremec in Queretaro, Mexico.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
That is a solid percentage of US sourced parts. I see no issue here.

The OP seems to make a habit of stirring up stuff without much basis in fact....
What do you expect, he's a doffus.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM
FOOTR 1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
What do you expect, he's a doffus.
Good point!!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by cam30era
Correct. GM Hydramatic manufactures the automatic trans in the US. The manual is made by Tremec in Queretaro, Mexico.
Glad I bought auto

Originally Posted by FOOTR 1
Good point!!

Get notified of new replies

To "Made in America"? really?

Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by georgied
This is one of those subjects I could spend a lifetime discussing without any shot of agreement. I'll say this once and once only. I am in the IT Procurement business. It's what I do. If you think much of this stuff doesn't come from China you are living in a dream. I am the number 1 advocate of US Mfg. Without it we are dead, dead, dead. Get it? That said. For now we have decided to move this stuff around to get the best deals despite our workers unemployment, etc. OK, facts are facts. China has come a long way and their products are usually spec'd by the US company. If you want to buy a high quality carrying case with good zippers in China it's $10.00. If you want to buy it in the US it's ..... ooops. No one manufactures it here and no one can without at least a 3 year lead time and a $30M investment in a state of the art facility. And so the story goes. It's your job as an American buyer to stop bitching and do something, anything! Buy American if you can but pay more until we can turn the tide. Stop bitching about price increases on the Vette. It's a small price to pay. I recently offered one of my compatriots a deal. You set up a new facility and I will work for you for free for two years to make sure you succeed. In case you didn't get this turn already, I am not an assembler but rather a manufacturing engineer trained by no other than the great IBM before the world turned to profits before innovation and quality. Thanks for listening and thanks for not whining anymore.
So how do you round up all the horses and get them back in the corral? Labor costs are sky high in this country. Thus, companies have to pay for not only the labor costs...but retirement costs. And where has it gotten us? Just read some of the posts on this one forum.... The mindset is: Greed is a good thing!!

Labor costs, red tape, corporate taxes, etc. necessitate all US companies, like GM, try through any means possible, to do whatever they can to increase their profit margins.

Unfortunately, the best years of this Country are far behind us....

Not trying to hijack the thread....just felt the need to respond.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

i read in another post that the corvette was "made in NORTH America", and that was one of the reasons he /she liked it. i have no facts, but given the many highly publicized relations with gm and china, id bet that at least 50% of the key parts are manufactured in china. anybody have any facts or see any info on this? also, think about it--you want to keep your costs down, where do you go for parts? im not faulting them for this, although it certainly does not serve to enhance the durability of the car in the long term.

Fixed!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Let's see, everything that Apple sells is made in China. Are they having a lot of issues with their Products? Are people boycotting them because nothing they sell is made here?

Apple has what, $50 Billion, maybe $100 Billion in the Bank?
Maybe they should buy GM, then 100% of your Corvette will be built in China and will work flawlessly.

As a side note, my Clutch Master Cylinder went out last week. Pedal went to the floor and didn't come back up. Needless to say, GM was on the case as soon as the Dealer called them. First one to fail as far as I know. They overnighted a new one and the Dealer sent the Unit back to Detroit for the Engineers to take a look at. To paraphrase a certain Politician, "It was a big f'ing Deal".

I wonder where the Supplier makes those? Things break, stuff happens and the Warranty works. Don't care where they get the parts, as long as they are high quality and work.

The Dealer and GM took good care of me, and I didn't even buy the Car from that Dealer. I'm buying Donuts for the entire Service Department tomorrow morning as a small Thank You.

Didn't we just have a Thread here about an Employee of an American Parts Supplier screwing up Corvette Parts because he is envious of us "rich" people? It isn't where things are made, it's the pride of the person making those things.

I think a new Honda Accord is 100% American Made. How Ironic.

Quick Reply: "Made in America"? really?