Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA buyers out of state purchases?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:23 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Default CA buyers out of state purchases?

So how are all of the California buyers of out of state purchases handling the sales tax? I was advised that I pay the sales tax at time of purchase for the state buying from - Michigan 6% - and then will get a credit for that and pay the difference to California - 7.5% in my county.
Is this how everyone else is doing it?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 PM
chrisbraga
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
So how are all of the California buyers of out of state purchases handling the sales tax? I was advised that I pay the sales tax at time of purchase for the state buying from - Michigan 6% - and then will get a credit for that and pay the difference to California - 7.5% in my county.
Yes you pay the tax from dealer you are buying from, they collected correct amount for my county tax rate, I bought mine from maryland My califrina DMV fees were about 300 total, when I registered car, you will also need a VIN check and a smog check.
chris
Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM
socaljet
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine from a Michigan dealer and factory delivery with Michigan in transit stricter. Sales tax was paid at the DMV when I registered it.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
WS6R6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered in OH and will pay the sales tax here in KS when my car arrives....not sure if CA is different.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought from Kerbeck in NJ. They charged tax based on the county I lived in as well as estimated DMV charges. The DMV paperwork was handled smoothly by a 3rd part DMV processing agent here in So. Cal. The entire process was smooth and painless. The only interaction I had with the DMV was a fast inspection that didn't require me to even step foot in the DMV. Just pull up to the inspection line, ring a bell and leave with signed papers that were then mailed back to the DMV processor along with a smog certificate. I laid nothing out of pocked beyond my original purchase and actually got a refund in the mail from Kerbeck for slight over charge on the fees.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Shipped my Car in from a Dealer in MS.

Paid the full boat when I went to the CA DMV. Had a Smog Check Certificate in one hand and $5,500 in the other. 8% Sales Tax in Orange County.

As a side note, I've read here that some people had their Local Dealers give them a hassle about servicing their Vehicles because they didn't Buy their Corvette from them. Had an issue with mine and took it to my local Dealer, Chevrolet of Irvine, and the Service Department couldn't have treated me any better.

This is the same Dealer that is getting $10,000 over MSRP for every Corvette they sell, which is exactly the reason I ended up buying outside of CA. Ended up buying my Z51 for $2,500 UNDER MSRP.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Limey25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchased from MD and courtesy delivery to San Diego dealer. I am paying the CA tax to the MD dealer and they will send the tax to the courtesy dealer (who will also take care of most of the DMV/smog stuff).

If ordering out of state make sure it has the CA emissions option checked. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To CA buyers out of state purchases?

Quick Reply: CA buyers out of state purchases?