Sponsored by:

Update on my tires + Review of Sherwood Park Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Update on my tires + Review of Sherwood Park Chevrolet

Some of you might have noticed in some discussions re: cracked tires due to the cold that mine were cracked pretty bad upon delivery and that I was to get them replaced closer to spring, near the time I can actually start driving it in the cold area I live in.

Anyway, I contacted my dealership (Sherwood Park Chevrolet) and they told me the new replacement Michelins will be in next week, and that they would cover the cost of having the car trucked from my house to the dealership, so that I don't have to drive it even though the GM manual says the cracks are cosmetic only.

They also covered the cost of trucking my C7 from their dealership to my house a month ago (something I know another nearby dealership did not do when their customer asked - that customer's options were either store at the dealership till spring (where people could be sitting in it, touching it, etc.), or have it shipped to his home but cover the $300+ shipping fee himself).

So overall I'm pretty ecstatic about my experience with this dealership and wanted to share it here!

I believe this year they sold 34 C7's and I also believe that's the most in Canada of any dealership for 2014. I can see now why so many Corvette buyers choose them.

In addition to the above, the communication was great throughout the whole process, and they gave me a few extra perks that I wasn't offered before at other GM dealerships when buying a new car.

Also, they could have easily sold out their allocation of 34 with 3LT's, and despite that I ordered a 1LT they still gave me just as good service and early delivery, did not try to upsell me on options or convince me to get 2LT, mag ride, etc.

Just a few hours ago my buddy picked up a black C7 that he had ordered the same time as me from another dealership (but he got his about 5 weeks later than I got mine). Mine is the yellow one below, couldn't get a full side shot in my double garage lol.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Zymurgy; 03-13-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Removed offer to send contact info - against forum rules - non-supporting dealer
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
Some of you might have noticed in some discussions re: cracked tires due to the cold that mine were cracked pretty bad upon delivery and that I was to get them replaced closer to spring, near the time I can actually start driving it in the cold area I live in.

Anyway, I contacted my dealership (Sherwood Park Chevrolet) and they told me the new replacement Michelins will be in next week, and that they would cover the cost of having the car trucked from my house to the dealership, so that I don't have to drive it even though the GM manual says the cracks are cosmetic only.

They also covered the cost of trucking my C7 from their dealership to my house a month ago (something I know another nearby dealership did not do when their customer asked - that customer's options were either store at the dealership till spring (where people could be sitting in it, touching it, etc.), or have it shipped to his home but cover the $300+ shipping fee himself).

So overall I'm pretty ecstatic about my experience with this dealership and wanted to share it here!

I believe this year they sold 34 C7's and I also believe that's the most in Canada of any dealership for 2014. I can see now why so many Corvette buyers choose them.

In addition to the above, the communication was great throughout the whole process, and they gave me a few extra perks that I wasn't offered before at other GM dealerships when buying a new car.

Also, they could have easily sold out their allocation of 34 with 3LT's, and despite that I ordered a 1LT they still gave me just as good service and early delivery, did not try to upsell me on options or convince me to get 2LT, mag ride, etc.

They already had a bunch of deposits on 2015 Z06's when I was there last month, if anyone in Canada wants one with guaranteed delivery and msrp that's one of the dealers you should definitely consider, if you inbox me I can share contact info of the guys who helped me out.

Just a few hours ago my buddy picked up a black C7 that he had ordered the same time as me from another dealership (but he got his about 5 weeks later than I got mine). Mine is the yellow one below, couldn't get a full side shot in my double garage lol.
Nice to hear your dealer took care of you !! BTW, love the color of your car
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
ag2
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear you had a good experience, overall was it a smooth process for ordering and then paying for you car? Were they prompt in returning phone calls and emails?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Aerohead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news Achmed...

My dealer here in MN is working with me in a similar manner and expects my new Michelins to be in by this weekend. Since I had already pulled the wheels off the car to inspect more fully, they will be sending a truck to pick up just the wheels, get the tires replaced then return them to me.

The roads are still bad enough around me that if my car sits on some stands without wheels for a few days, I'm not too concerned. I didn't want to do a round of 'flatbedding' back to the dealership where something else could get messed up inadvertently.

I gotta wonder how many of these GM is picking up the tab for....
Old 03-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by ag2
Great to hear you had a good experience, overall was it a smooth process for ordering and then paying for you car? Were they prompt in returning phone calls and emails?
Thanks, and yes the process was smooth. I first approached them in the summer, but I knew that if I order right then the car will arrive at the start or earlier part of the winter and will just be sitting for many months before I can drive it. So I told them that I'm interested but I want to order closer to the new year for a late winter or early spring delivery. The normal procedure is a $5k non-refundable deposit (sounds high but that's what pretty much all GM dealers in Canada require to order), so they compromised by telling me I can just give a $2500 refundable deposit for now to secure an allocation, and when I'm ready to order I pay the next $2500 at which it all becomes non-refundable and they submit the order to GM. Had they not come up with that arrangement for me I may have missed out by the time I would have went in to order as they sold out in Canada much sooner than we expected.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerohead
Great news Achmed...

My dealer here in MN is working with me in a similar manner and expects my new Michelins to be in by this weekend. Since I had already pulled the wheels off the car to inspect more fully, they will be sending a truck to pick up just the wheels, get the tires replaced then return them to me.

The roads are still bad enough around me that if my car sits on some stands without wheels for a few days, I'm not too concerned. I didn't want to do a round of 'flatbedding' back to the dealership where something else could get messed up inadvertently.

Thats a smart way to do it. Why bring the whole car there. I've done that before, mostly because I noticed the dealer parking cars outside within inches of each other. Also makes sure the "tire guy" doesn't test drive the tires.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience with them Achmed. I initially had contacted them and was going to order through them, however their internet sales department was not friendly at all towards me. I did not like the attitude I received from them and they lost my sale because of it and I went local. I'm sure their other salesman weren't like this and I never went there in person, but I was not impressed.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aerohead
Great news Achmed...

Thanks Aerohead. Personally I'm very un-handy (I'll admit I have never changed a tire myself or even jacked up a vehicle lol), so I'd rather just ship the car. I'm pretty confident there wouldn't be any issues in the shipping of it. The guy who the dealership contracts pretty much transports high end cars full time for a living and I believe he's the only one who does in my city, he's got great equipment, etc.

lol I think GM will not be shipping as many C7's next winter as they did this year.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience with them Achmed. I initially had contacted them and was going to order through them, however their internet sales department was not friendly at all towards me. I did not like the attitude I received from them and they lost my sale because of it and I went local. I'm sure their other salesman weren't like this and I never went there in person, but I was not impressed.
Sorry to hear that happened to you blue_bomber. There are three guys I dealt with, each who I'd recommend personally.

Anyway have you gotten your ride yet regardless? The delivery was a very exciting moment for me.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear that happened to you blue_bomber. There are three guys I dealt with, each who I'd recommend personally.

Anyway have you gotten your ride yet regardless? The delivery was a very exciting moment for me.
Not yet. Still waiting to hear that it's being built. Any week now. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Taking mine to the dealer on Tuesday to have the tires inspected. Interested to hear their response.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM
BADA BING
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess i should check mine since I bought it and put it in storage and its still really cold up here, where are the cracks do I need to look somewhere specific or are they on the tread and sidewalls?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by BADA BING
Where are the cracks do I need to look somewhere specific or are they on the tread and sidewalls?
GM Techlink
Old 03-13-2014, 04:21 PM
BADA BING
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn yea I need to go check mine when I get home, thanks for the pic
Old 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

<Normal procedure is a $5k non-refundable deposit (pretty much what all GM dealers in Canada require to order)>
$1k refundable

Last edited by C8Jake; 03-13-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:24 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C7Jake
$1k refundable @ my dealer
No deposit at mine (Canada too)

Get notified of new replies

To Update on my tires + Review of Sherwood Park Chevrolet

Old 03-13-2014, 05:10 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

If these replacement Michelins are the same ones that you currently have on the car, I am guessing that the cracking will appear on the new set of tires as well.

I would insist on a different brand or model of tire.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c54u
If these replacement Michelins are the same ones that you currently have on the car, I am guessing that the cracking will appear on the new set of tires as well.

I would insist on a different brand or model of tire.

I'm guessing that your guessing may not be accurate There are probably 10,000+ Z51s out there with these Michelins and we have heard of how many issues with cracking? Not many... and almost all, including Achmed's car, were clearly related to freezing.

Besides, the options available in a run flat for the Z51 are very limited at the moment... if the OP cares about that.

Last edited by gthal; 03-13-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good to read! They're also a Callway dealer, too.

Quick Reply: Update on my tires + Review of Sherwood Park Chevrolet