C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 coupe vs. Non-Z51 coupe - Visible Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 PM
KCWolfPck
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Z51 coupe vs. Non-Z51 coupe - Visible Differences?

I'm on the list for a Z51 coupe, but am considering a non-Z51 to save some cash on some performance options I'll likely never fully justify having.

I plan on ordering a 3LT with the Z51 type spoiler. I'm pretty much getting most of the available options (performance exhaust, carbon dash, painted calipers). Before I make my final decision, I wanted to verify that the following statements are true:

1). The interior of a Z51 3LT and a non-Z51 3LT are identical. There is no way to tell the difference from the inside.

2). With the exception of the smaller wheels, smaller calipers, and non-slotted brakes.....the exterior is identical again, assuming I add Z51 spoiler).

3). The horsepower/acceleration is the same in both vehicles.

4). The exhaust note is the same in both vehicles.

The above are true....right?

Now, these are things I'm not positive about and was wondering if someone could answer/clarify:

1). Part of the z51 package states "unique aero package that reduces lift for high speed stability". Am I correct to assume this is referring to the rear spoiler....or are there other aerodynamic differences? (I am aware that the rear vents are functional in the Z51 and not in the standard coupe.)

2). Are the interior menu options (Drive mode selector and DIC) or a non-Z51 coupe identical of those of a Z51 coupe not equipped with MSRC? If not, what menus or options are specific to Z51?

I did try searching, because I'm sure this topic must have been discussed....but if there is a thread that fully explains the physical appearance differences between the Z51 and non-Z51, I'd need happy to just peruse that.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

No need for 3LT.

Get a 2LT Z51--simple.
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (01-26-2018)
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM
KCWolfPck
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
No need for 3LT.

Get a 2LT Z51--simple.
If I had a need/want....I could afford a Z51 3LT. I find that the performance in a non-Z51 is more than enough for me and I'd rather spend the money for the upgraded interior. That is, provided my understanding as stated in the original post is correct. That's what I'm hoping will be confirmed. Additionally, another plus is that a non-Z51 can be ordered immediately. Thank you.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there are additional differences between the Z51 and non-Z51 that I'm not yet aware of....I'll just end up keeping my current place in line for my Z51 3LT that I already have a deposit on.

Last edited by KCWolfPck; 03-15-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Z51, Mag Ride, 2LT and you have a world class sports car!!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

1-4 you are correct.

1) may be some other things but the only visable difference is the rear spoiler I think.

2) Dont forget he Z51 has the e-diff, pretty sure you have to have z51 + magnetic ride to get the extra performance traction management modes (PTM).
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

The base car has a front air dam all the way across, the z51 just has dams near the front suspension
Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 PM
KCWolfPck
Advanced

Originally Posted by kp
1-4 you are correct.

1) may be some other things but the only visable difference is the rear spoiler I think.

2) Dont forget he Z51 has the e-diff, pretty sure you have to have z51 + magnetic ride to get the extra performance traction management modes (PTM).
Yes, on my current order, I do also have the MSRC configured. I am just now thinking that I don't need all of that stuff.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

What color interior are you getting? If you're getting black then you might want to save some money and get the 2LT.

The Z51 has a different front lower Air Dam. The Non-Z51 has the lower airdam all the way across. The Z51 only has the two side ones, for better aero.

Some say the Non-Z51 should be faster due to less weight but the Z51 has the better tires and a E-Diff.

If you're price is locked in at the old pricing then the Z51 is a better deal.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 PM
KCWolfPck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glen e
The base car has a front air dam all the way across, the z51 just has dams near the front suspension
Thank you, Glen. Is the difference discernible in photos? What would I look for?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 PM
KCWolfPck
Advanced

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
What color interior are you getting? If you're getting black then you might want to save some money and get the 2LT.

The Z51 has a different front lower Air Dam. The Non-Z51 has the lower airdam all the way across. The Z51 only has the two side ones, for better aero.

Some say the Non-Z51 should be faster due to less weight but the Z51 has the better tires and a E-Diff.

If you're price is locked in at the old pricing then the Z51 is a better deal.
I'm getting red interior. I'm buying under the new pricing.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Sylke
I'm on the list for a Z51 coupe, but am considering a non-Z51 to save some cash on some performance options I'll likely never fully justify having.

I plan on ordering a 3LT with the Z51 type spoiler. I'm pretty much getting most of the available options (performance exhaust, carbon dash, painted calipers). Before I make my final decision, I wanted to verify that the following statements are true:

1). The interior of a Z51 3LT and a non-Z51 3LT are identical. There is no way to tell the difference from the inside.

2). With the exception of the smaller wheels, smaller calipers, and non-slotted brakes.....the exterior is identical again, assuming I add Z51 spoiler).

3). The horsepower/acceleration is the same in both vehicles.

4). The exhaust note is the same in both vehicles.

The above are true....right?

Now, these are things I'm not positive about and was wondering if someone could answer/clarify:

1). Part of the z51 package states "unique aero package that reduces lift for high speed stability". Am I correct to assume this is referring to the rear spoiler....or are there other aerodynamic differences? (I am aware that the rear vents are functional in the Z51 and not in the standard coupe.)

2). Are the interior menu options (Drive mode selector and DIC) or a non-Z51 coupe identical of those of a Z51 coupe not equipped with MSRC? If not, what menus or options are specific to Z51?

I did try searching, because I'm sure this topic must have been discussed....but if there is a thread that fully explains the physical appearance differences between the Z51 and non-Z51, I'd need happy to just peruse that.

Thanks!
Part I
1. Interiors are identical.

2. Z51 calipers are painted black, non-Z51 are gray. Z51 does not have center section of front air dam. Blocked of rear quarter vents are visible by looking into them. Z51 has stabilizer bars that the non-Z51 does not have. This is visible. Front rotors are larger on the Z51. Open the hood and other differences appear - no dry sump on the non-Z51.

3. Horsepower, yes. Acceleration, that is debatable. The A6 has different gear ratios (rear axle ratios) between the Z51 and non-Z51.

4. Exhaust note is the same.

Part II
1. See comment above about front air dam. Z51 also has front rotor cooling ducts.

2. Performance Traction Management is not available without Mag Ride. Mag Ride is only available on Z51. Therefore, your menu will not have any PTM related sections.

There are probably other differences that I'm not thinking of.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:54 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Z51 vs non Z51 rear ratio is only .17 different, probably wont make much real world difference in ET. Most likely the base lighter weight will offset the small ratio difference so its a wash.

non-Z51 does not have a rear sway bar, I guess its something visible
Old 03-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
No need for 3LT.

Get a 2LT Z51--simple.

19" wheels in front, 20" in the back. I just think the smaller non-Z51 wheels look lacking in the Stingray. Also, the electronically controlled rear diff is a HUGE advantage in the handling department. And the braking from 60 to 0 is like 99 feet with the larger brakes. I think they are like two different cars.

One is a true sports car and the other is a cruiser.

woodsguy (01-26-2018)
Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 PM
KCWolfPck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Diver Down

19" wheels in front, 20" in the back. I just think the smaller non-Z51 wheels look lacking in the Stingray. Also, the electronically controlled rear diff is a HUGE advantage in the handling department. And the braking from 60 to 0 is like 99 feet with the larger brakes. I think they are like two different cars.

A cruiser that does 0-60 in <4secs. Haha. This is my dilemma...yes, I like the larger wheels in the Z51 more. Do I like them $5800 more? That is the question. ($5800 because if I get Z51 I am also getting MSRC)
Old 03-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Sylke
A cruiser that does 0-60 in <4secs. Haha. This is my dilemma...yes, I like the larger wheels in the Z51 more. Do I like them $5800 more? That is the question. ($5800 because if I get Z51 I am also getting MSRC)
But when someone points to one of the rear vents on the non-Z51 car and ask "what does this do?".

Be prepared to say "Nothing. It's blocked. It's only functional on the Z51 which I didn't get..."

But it looks the same.....

07ktm250xc (11-20-2016)
Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

the Z51 also comes with superior tire spec, not just in size.
The Z51 has the Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer-only tires
whereas the base Corvette has only the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

If you are having difficulty deciding on the Z51 vs. non-Z51, you might learn
something very useful from my posting elsewhere on this forum:

I said:

For all of those trying to decide on whether or not to bite their wallet and make a decision to buy(or not) the Z51 option with or without the MSRC option, I have found a link to an article that has been very helpful for my own Z51/MSRC/Base buying decision.

Three different C7s were used in this test and no Corvettes were harmed during the testing. The article's author has done a great deal of driving high performance automobiles and his observations are both incisive and CREDIBLE.

the link to the Z51/MSRC/Base article is at: http://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/8...t#.Uw_vdM7N7LQ

This following link is to the April 2014 issue(#88) of Corvette Magazine
http://www.corvette-mag.com

I say just arm everyone with the relevant facts and then let them decide.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 PM
bigpete105
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally like the wheel design on z51 vs plain looking wheels on non z51.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 coupe vs. Non-Z51 coupe - Visible Differences?

Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

But when someone points to one of the rear vents on the non-Z51 car and ask "what does this do?".

Be prepared to say "Nothing. It's blocked. It's only functional on the Z51 which I didn't get..."

As long as they point to my left side vent I'm OK
Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Non Z51 wheels look much better in person than in pictures.

I'm not sure many people at all consider any new C7 (Z51 or not) a "cruiser". Cars capable of churning 1.0 Gs are not cruisers.
Most would agree the Camaro v6 is the cruiser.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 03-15-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a good reason for Chevy to remove the vents for the non Z51 car.

Quick Reply: Z51 coupe vs. Non-Z51 coupe - Visible Differences?