C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with hot temps in foot well area on driver side???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 AM
rayw1128
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with hot temps in foot well area on driver side???

Hi everyone,

Been feeling warm/hot temperature in the driver side foot well area since I got the C7 about 3 months ago. Regardless of the outside temperature, or if I have the air conditioning set to freezing, I always felt that once the car is up to operating temp (220), its always warm or hot in the foot well area...

It could be 70 degrees outside, with the air conditioning set to 65 degrees, it will still feel toasty on my lower legs and foot.

Figured out it was radiating hot air from the center column to the right of the gas pedal.

Anyone else have this issue? I sincerely hope its not normal, and that it can be addressed by dealer. I hate it because I would have sweaty feet while my entire body feels cold...
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I was having the same condition VIN 3206 until I got the re-flash. That fixed several things from HVAC to the DIC illumination at dusk.

Note: It also required disconnecting the battery to erase memory then re-indexing the windows. It's not as perfect as my Lexus and on occasion I still have to 'chase the temperature' with the **** but it's a big improvement. I've tried manual control and automatic both and find the automatic works best for me. If you haven't done that you should probably make an appointment to do it.

Z51 w/A6, Mag Ride, & NPP as mechanical options.
Originally Posted by rayw1128
Hi everyone,

Been feeling warm/hot temperature in the driver side foot well area since I got the C7 about 3 months ago. Regardless of the outside temperature, or if I have the air conditioning set to freezing, I always felt that once the car is up to operating temp (220), its always warm or hot in the foot well area...

It could be 70 degrees outside, with the air conditioning set to 65 degrees, it will still feel toasty on my lower legs and foot.

Figured out it was radiating hot air from the center column to the right of the gas pedal.

Anyone else have this issue? I sincerely hope its not normal, and that it can be addressed by dealer. I hate it because I would have sweaty feet while my entire body feels cold...
Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Hi everyone,

Let me get this dumb question out of the way. Do you have the Ventilation Button set so you get Air coming out of both the Top Vents and the Bottom Foot Well Vents?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM
rayw1128
Advanced

Top vent only...

I don't believe the heat is coming from a vent in the foot well, as it will be hot even if i set air conditioning temperature really low. I think its heat radiating out of the engine/transmission of the vehicle.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have my car yet. But 220 degrees might be where you want to look first. In most of my car experiences this number should be around 180...
Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

220 seems about typical for the C7, likely for efficiency and emissions reasons.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kracka
220 seems about typical for the C7, likely for efficiency and emissions reasons.
Ok. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Are these z51 cars? The oil canister from the dry slump is right in that location. Could the oil temp be to hot or did it not get some insulation there?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
Are these z51 cars? The oil canister from the dry slump is right in that location. Could the oil temp be to hot or did it not get some insulation there?
Oil canister is on right side of passenger compartment.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Make sure your car has the latest updates, if you are in your garage in the daytime and the headlights come on and you have a hard time seeing your dash its not updated.

The auto HVAC on these is a little screwy, turn the fan on high and see if there is any air coming from the floor vent when you select the dash only vents manually.

Both my C5s and C6s both would get a little warn in the footwell/firewall area on hot days, along with the console of course. Its always a compromise between heat/noise transfer and weight and by the amount of engine noise you can hear in the cockpit it looks like light weight won out again. Its a sports car and thats just how it is. Lot of engine heat and the catalytic converters throw off some good heat as well.

May want to manually try the floor/dash vent position with the AC on and see if that helps.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
I don't have my car yet. But 220 degrees might be where you want to look first. In most of my car experiences this number should be around 180...
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
One thing I try to do when I reply here is say something correctly because I have experience with it. I own a C7 and it's a Z51. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just that speculation is not always the best answer.

220 degrees 'IS' the normal operating temp in these cars for the water. And yes the Z51 is a dry sump but the tank is in the right rear portion of the engine bay. If it was causing high temps inside the cabin (foot well or otherwise) it would be time to leave the car rapidly . In my previous post I said the re-flash took care of a common HVAC issue the early builds had. Part of that was heated air coming out of the foot vents while A/C was coming out of the dash.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cruiter
One thing I try to do when I reply here is say something correctly because I have experience with it. I own a C7 and it's a Z51. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just that speculation is not always the best answer.

220 degrees 'IS' the normal operating temp in these cars for the water. And yes the Z51 is a dry sump but the tank is in the right rear portion of the engine bay. If it was causing high temps inside the cabin (foot well or otherwise) it would be time to leave the car rapidly . In my previous post I said the re-flash took care of a common HVAC issue the early builds had. Part of that was heated air coming out of the foot vents while A/C was coming out of the dash.
It did fix it, sort of, going to be a couple more HVAC updates I think.

On another forum the GM customer service person can check your VIN to see if it has the all the latest updates, maybe PM the one here and see if they can check. It would be nice to know the VIN cutoff for certain module updates.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Sorry brutha...I meant to put a question mark behind my statement...making it into a question.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I was having the same condition VIN 3206 until I got the re-flash. That fixed several things from HVAC to the DIC illumination at dusk.

Note: It also required disconnecting the battery to erase memory then re-indexing the windows. It's not as perfect as my Lexus and on occasion I still have to 'chase the temperature' with the **** but it's a big improvement. I've tried manual control and automatic both and find the automatic works best for me. If you haven't done that you should probably make an appointment to do it.

Z51 w/A6, Mag Ride, & NPP as mechanical options.
Almost the same ride with VIN #2498. HVAC software update seems to have cured this issue for me as well.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 PM
rayw1128
Advanced

I'm sorry, I was mistaken... After a drive tonight, I found out that the hot air was coming out of two tiny vents in the foot well area, one on the right side, one towards the middle.

When I set the A/C to auto (or manually divided it between foot and face), it will vent hot air thru both of these tiny vents onto my feet, while getting cold air into my face. When I have the setting on manually with air directed only to the foot area, it will vent cold air to the feet.

I'm guessing its a HVAC issue and hoping that it can be addressed with a reflash at the dealership.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 AM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Not really related to this but a bit of humor...

I picked up my C7 this past Saturday. In NH it was a nice day for this time of year, I think it was about 53 degrees and sunny. I have the transparent roof. After driving for about 1/2 hour I was getting really hot. I remember reading about people saying that with the transparent top it gets hot in the car so I said "I hope they make a shade for this thing before the summer"....then I looked at the drivers side temp and realized that the last person in the car at the dealership left it on HI...the temp in the car got a lot better when I changed it to 70

-Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm sorry, I was mistaken... After a drive tonight, I found out that the hot air was coming out of two tiny vents in the foot well area, one on the right side, one towards the middle.

When I set the A/C to auto (or manually divided it between foot and face), it will vent hot air thru both of these tiny vents onto my feet, while getting cold air into my face. When I have the setting on manually with air directed only to the foot area, it will vent cold air to the feet.

I'm guessing its a HVAC issue and hoping that it can be addressed with a reflash at the dealership.
Apparently the engineer who calibrated the HVAC system suffers from cold feet

I have had other GM cars which exhibit odd behavior with the auto climate control and some of it is related to a dash sensor which not only is used to sense ambient light for instrument panel lighting but also determines the behavior of "bi-level" mode where cold air is supplied through the upper vents while warmer air is sent lower. It does this assuming the upper areas when exposed to sun need cooler air but the lower air is sometimes too warm. My current CTS is generally perfect but once in awhile the wrong combination of ambient temperatures and sunlight will throw it off for awhile forcing me to manually override. I

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with hot temps in foot well area on driver side???

Old 03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned here. On the C6, the catalytic converters are right in the area mentioned and I suspect on the C7, it's the same location. Has anyone looked at that?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NSC5
Apparently the engineer who calibrated the HVAC system suffers from cold feet

I have had other GM cars which exhibit odd behavior with the auto climate control and some of it is related to a dash sensor which not only is used to sense ambient light for instrument panel lighting but also determines the behavior of "bi-level" mode where cold air is supplied through the upper vents while warmer air is sent lower. It does this assuming the upper areas when exposed to sun need cooler air but the lower air is sometimes too warm. My current CTS is generally perfect but once in awhile the wrong combination of ambient temperatures and sunlight will throw it off for awhile forcing me to manually override. I
Yea, when its below 40 degrees outside and sunny you feel a cool breeze on your face and warm feet. Have to keep upping the temp until you feet are sweating.

I noticed no matter what, if you select the floor vents or the auto system does in cold weather. it trickles some air conditioned air out of the defrost vent. Doesnt do it on manual vent or vent/floor, the defroster door slams shut..

I'm used to it by now, in warmer weather it seems to work fine (I have the latest updates) so its not a huge issue for me.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
One other thing I haven't seen mentioned here. On the C6, the catalytic converters are right in the area mentioned and I suspect on the C7, it's the same location. Has anyone looked at that?

Well, Yeah. And You have 460 HP of power inches from your right foot...
Power makes heat...

Quick Reply: Problems with hot temps in foot well area on driver side???